Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
1st Annual SkooliePalooza - when and where?

Thought I would kick this thing off, and let's start some polling to see when and where the MOST people can show up.

First, let's make some things clear:
- don't vote if you are not intending to show
- if you vote for a time and a region, please make sure you show up
- please abstain from any "I can't go because of ____" these posts are only thread killers.

The purpose of this thread is to gauge interest, and see when and where a MAJORITY of people can make a meeting of minds. This festival is intended to be a life-changing event. If you see it as a competition between a football game or a birthday party, then please choose the latters. If you see the potential, as I do, then jump in and help me mold this into the Burning Man of Skoolies the way I see this thing moving.

Seriously, I do see the potential, and I have only met less than 5 of you freaking people? What say you?

I have some ideas, but if everyone says: Chippewa City, Minnesota - Jan 12th, we can do that. Gonna have to find a good firewood source(and trailer) but we can do that.

So what do you say? When can YOU come, an how far can you hitchhike?

Old 02-09-2016, 04:48 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
A day's trip for me in Heavy as she's geared right now would have me about 600 miles from Houston. So, that being said, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Oklahoma are about my limits for now. As far as when, summertime is best. Becoming a teacher will free-up my summers. As far as when I can re-gear Heavy will depend upon job/finances. But when that's done I'll have a longer range to work with.

M1031
Old 02-09-2016, 07:01 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
The black hills in June?
Think Sturgis for skoolies.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hmmm...I'm thinkin' Central Time Zone...not too close to Mexico or Canada...not mid-winter or summer. Does that narrow things down a bit? Of course the where & when also have to coincide with some land that is Skoolie friendly too, so any suggestions there are welcomed as well.

BTW...here are the upcoming Federal Holidays for 2016...
  • Monday
    February 15*
    George Washington’s Birthday
  • Monday
    May 30
    Memorial Day
  • Monday
    July 4
    Independence Day
  • Monday
    September 5
    Labor Day
  • Monday
    October 10
    Columbus Day
  • Friday
    November 11
    Veterans Day
  • Thursday
    November 24
    Thanksgiving Day
  • Monday
    December 26**
    Christmas Day
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

July, Thanksgiving, Christmas all fit in well to a school schedule. Our spring break follows some convoluted formula, something about barking at the moon and spinning around in an office chair 15 times then throwing a dart at a calendar................

Hey, I just work here.

M1031
Old 02-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
gotta love a rally!

I'm in Colorado and game to meet just about anywhere. i already have plans for Montana on July4th, but otherwise i'm open.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Labor Day would be crazy on the roads, but that's what I'm thinking. Or Columbus Day. Is a 3 day weekend a too-small window? Maybe 2 or 3 regional meets so everyone could be a day's drive away. Probably don't want to schedule it when/where it's a certain thing that your heat's gotta work well.

Disclaimer: I don't own a bus (yet) but I'm willing to fly-and-drive for the chance to see 20 of them in the same place at the same time to take pics and steal good ideas.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Dan,

For me a three day window is way too small. One day driving, then a half day to meet and greet, then back on the road is too little time for me (considering unpacking at home, etc.). I want to have at least two days of asking questions/presenting what I've learned before heading back home. Just my opinion. Does that make sense? (Wifie said to have y'all double check my thinking)

M1031
Old 02-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
Bus Geek

I'm guessing that even with a few months advance planning and a long weekend, most folks will still have to take a day or so off (cough, cough) to make it wherever and have the time to soak up some Skoolie culture.

But...it'll be worth it!
Old 02-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I'm guessing that even with a few months advance planning and a long weekend, most folks will still have to take a day or so off (cough, cough) to make it wherever and have the time to soak up some Skoolie culture.

But...it'll be worth it!
this is the most important response do far.

My vision of this event, is that it is not a get-together, or a weekend with friends, this will be a FESTIVAL!
My vision is a transformative event.
If you need to take a week of vacation to attend, you should consider it.

My gut tells me to stay away from ALL holidays, as squeezing into a long weekend thing, simply means we will be competing with the "other" long weekend thing your spouse had planned.

Seriously, I am thinking Monday till the next Monday. If you can squeeze a few days in and meet us, great, if not, there is the next one. We cannot accommodate everyone and the weird schedules and holidays, we can only try to fit the most people in.

Maybe we should be more vague in time and region?

Like:

Arizona or Florida in winter
or
Colorado or Montana in Summer (or any high elevation spot)
or
Spring/Fall events with appropriate weather

One thing I have NO INTEREST in is anything to do with a campground.
This to me means BLM or Nat. Forrest.

I have a few places in mind, but chime in if you have something interesting.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Dred, My wife and I absolutely love this idea!! As someone who has been to Burning man,
I love the vision. We work in Montana from May to October, so I would be up for anything in March, April, or November. And like Tango, I agree with central time zone just to be fair to the coasties. On those same lines, we will be going from Kerrville,TX to East Glacier Park MT in Beginning of May. Would love to meet fellow skoolies along the way.

Please keep this going and we will do what we can to join!

John & Erica
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Plenty of free parking at Quartzsite! Course it is a bit to the left of center. And there's quite a bit of beautiful park land around Carson National Forest in northern NM. Then there is Lake Ouachita and the National Forest in Arkansas...

Heck, let's just throw some ideas out on the table and see what comes up.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
If you want to do it before spring sets in there's Slab City, Summer time, Farmland??
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Dan,
For me a three day window is way too small. One day driving, then a half day to meet and greet, then back on the road is too little time for me (considering unpacking at home, etc.). I want to have at least two days of asking questions/presenting what I've learned before heading back home. Just my opinion. Does that make sense? (Wifie said to have y'all double check my thinking) M1031
Sounds good to me! But, I'm not in charge. I'm not even gonna own a bus until next summer at the earliest, so my likely scenario is to pack a duffel, fly in to the closest city served by Southwest and show up in my rented Ford Aspire with bottled water and cold cuts.

Just out of curiousity, how important is it to how many of us to respect school calendars? Is this primarily an old-dude/dudette phenomenon, or are most of us thinking to bring family?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:21 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

After a bit of digging I found Chickasaw National Recreation Area in Oklahoma. They have campsites available to reserve for group rates. Power hook-ups optional. Seems friendly enough with year round operations. May want to look at either a springtime or fall get-together there. Fairly central to most. I know I can make the trip with Heavy. Wifie has access to local grocery stores within a reasonable distance, so I got the OK from her.

Oh, Dan, I'm working with my son on our project. Since he's in school, and I want him to take advantage of these opportunities, a school calendar is important to my family. Don't know about anyone else. In addition, being a teacher allows me to dedicate time to projects like this when school is not in session.

Any other ideas out there?

M1031
Old 02-09-2016, 06:42 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
I know No. AZ has lots of 'docking space and it's summertime cool. Up around Williams/Dogtown Lake area there's pine trees and lots o' room. (Near 7000ft).

Close enough to The Grand Canyon/Bearizona/etc for day trips with the kids of all ages. Williams itself is quite interesting.

Maps

Vid of the road into/out of Dogtown and you can see it is forest. Around 35.195817 112.150639

Bearizona is excellent! Bearizona Wildlife Park
Old 02-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Hey Tango, how far is Missouri from you? ....about 14 hours for me without a city/town address. Second week of August already booked, I've got 4 weeks holidays left.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:37 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 72
Dredman, since you started this you should be in charge

Ideally:

1. Take a tally of the YESES

2. Take their location

3. Centralize around that

4. Pick out spot yes you Dred, your in charge

5. Let the yeses know

6. Somewhere between 1 & 5 figure out when.

AND GET YOUR ASSES THERE & HAVE A TON OF FUN FOR ME.

Who knows I may show
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:44 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 72
There would be NO HOLIDAYS if everyone got to vote on when it would be & where we could celebrate it. Thankfully someone took charge years ago & just told us.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Some truth to that--so tell us when and where
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote