Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2019, 09:09 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Wanting to believe in people and then to have them cheat you in some fashion is a heart breaker. I want to believe in the good people in the world, but when people get cheated and burned it becomes harder to keep the faith...

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
Wanting to believe in people and then to have them cheat you in some fashion is a heart breaker. I want to believe in the good people in the world, but when people get cheated and burned it becomes harder to keep the faith...
As a public servant you're on the front lines, man.
I'm sure you see it all the time, eh?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:41 AM   #43
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
Is there room for one more?
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
I've always tried to help people as best I can - I've learned that when it comes to loaning money, with few exceptions, it's best to make it a win-win situation - I always seem to have something that needs doing, so I've learned to offer some work in exchange for the money - that way I don't have to worry about being paid back and the other person can retain their own pride - that avoids the resentment that seems to build up when someone owes money - this week I've had to put my foot down about giving rides - I spent $200 on gas last week and only used a vehicle to run into town a few times at 5 miles per trip - it's not uncommon for us to have 10 people here for supper and see several of them leave before the dishes are done - one of the straws that broke my back was my girlfriend allowing some of her friends and relatives to use our washing machine/dryer to do their laundry because they 'couldn't afford to go to the laundromat' - meanwhile I sometimes struggle to pay my own bills - - - - - on the other hand, most people I've been able to help in some way or another treat me very well - ( enough whining for today, or would you like some cheese with your whine/ - lol )
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #45
Skoolie

Coincidence

This link was emailed to me from my neighborhood where my condo is in CA.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00000366776682

I don't know how to make it an active link. And I'm not sure whether you have to have a password to access it or not.

Basically it is a video of a couple complaining about a homeless encampment by a local Home Depot. They want everyone else to fix a situation that offends them. And they complained about an RV in the area.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #46
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharee100 View Post
I was born in Torrance. My family moved to Orange County in 1964. I lived in Orange County until 2 years ago. I am in NC right now, getting ready to go "home" in my shuttle bus that is in the process of conversion. Now I am worried. Is it really that bad? I will be staying out by Victorville most of the time while my son, his friends, and I finish converting my shuttle. Then I want to travel. Looks like avoid northern CA coast. Is Oregon ok? And I want to see the Space Needle in Washington.
It's really not that bad. There are plenty of places in CA where you won't have any problems. I don't know Northern CA very well, but in Southern CA there are places NOT to try to park, and there are plenty of places you CAN park. Unincorporated LA County (what we call Torrance PO, not sure if it was called that when you were here) is a haven for vehicle dwellers, though spots fill up quick in the safest areas, and you definitely have to be selective because there are for sure some rougher areas.

There are many places right on the coast where you see lots of vehicles homes parked all the time. I only left about 9 months ago, I doubt it could have changed that much since I left. As far as the Victorville area goes, freecampsites.net lists a bunch of stuff nearby.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #47
Bus Nut

Quote:
And I plan to travel with my 2 cats and an aggressive parrot.
LOL an aggressive parrot might be just what you need!
Old 04-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #48
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
You might want to check the definition of Libretarian

Anything but liberal.
Actually, libertarians are generally considered liberal on social/personal issues and conservative on financial issues. The place where this intersects of course is around issues like "homelessness:" They would I think defend our right to live in our vehicles anywhere we want, but would oppose any system that hands stuff out to homeless people. I'm no expert, but that's my understanding, which comes from having a few libertarian friends.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #49
Bus Crazy

"liberal on social/personal issues and conservative on financial issues." is how I would describe myself, only here in Canada that would be called 'a small 'c' Conservative' - I'm all for good social programs, but not at the expense of my grandchildren or great grandchildren who might still be paying for my benefits long after I'm gone - I could care less if the government supplied life's needs at no cost to the user, as long as the cash was in the bank to pay for it - lol
Old 04-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #50
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
LOL an aggressive parrot might be just what you need!

No might about it firebuild...an aggressive parrot that's meaner than a junkyard dog, that's what I use. Strangers keep their noses out of our comings and goings.

John
Old 04-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #51
Skoolie

Thanks for the suggestions. Where my son lives the laws are somewhat lax and I can park my shuttle in his driveway and stay there with no problem. Not on the residential streets though. My son says he has an extra room if I want it. And he has an extra car I can drive around locally if I want to use it. But I have to drive from NC to CA first. I plan to stay on the 40 until I get to CA. My son is going to help me finish my conversion. Then I will be ready to travel. Do I need a passport to drive into Canada? I have my application ready just in case.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:13 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Where my son lives the laws are somewhat lax and I can park my shuttle in his driveway and stay there with no problem. Not on the residential streets though. My son says he has an extra room if I want it. And he has an extra car I can drive around locally if I want to use it. But I have to drive from NC to CA first. I plan to stay on the 40 until I get to CA. My son is going to help me finish my conversion. Then I will be ready to travel. Do I need a passport to drive into Canada? I have my application ready just in case.
yes, passports are required now - I don't know if 'enhanced drivers licences' are available yet
Old 04-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #53
Skoolie

Thanks. I will take my application in when I get to CA. They send passports back within a month.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #54
Skoolie

Coachwork: Me
Chassis: 2001 IC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Things walk off

The post you all made about things walking off needs to be a considerable thought for the new skoolies out there. Two months after we started our build a new Magnum 4500 inverter and tons of 0/0 wire, tv, and all my hand tools were carried off by a sixteen year old boy. I had him on camera and the police still after a year have not found him or my belongings. Buses are easy to break into and you need to keep that in mind when and where you park yours for a period of time. The thief's are everywhere!! Check your insurance to make sure all your goods are covered.
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laws, parking