Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Announcing our bus rally

Howdy folks! Just a quick note to let y'all know about a rally we are hosting. Hope to get to meet you there!

Bus Conversions Magazine is hosting
The Choo Choo Rally
Chattanooga, TN
October 14-17, 2011

The park is less than a mile off of the junction of I-75 & I-24 and is easily bus accessible. Plenty of sites with 30A hookups for those who want/need power and plenty of dry camping spaces for those who don't.

The full information and registration form is here:
http://www.busconversions.com/rally/index.html

This is at a city owned park facility that we are renting for that weekend. So all kinds of bus conversions are welcome! It doesn't matter how old, how complete, or what color bus it is.

There is a lot of space, so if you would like to plan a Skoolie gathering within the rally, that is fine.

We'll have great food, live entertainment, seminars, vendors, bus stuff swap meet, people with buses they want to sell, others who want to buy one. It will be a great time. And if you join us there it will be even better!

BusNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Announcing our bus rally

Camp Jordan is a nice park. But if it rains the parking lots all flood. (David used to work in East Ridge which is where Camp Jordan is located and we lived in the Chattanooga area for about 10 years.)

If we were still in the SouthEast, we would be attending. New Mexico is a tad too far away. It's nice to see the "coach folks" including the skoolies. Perhaps I should think about getting another subscription to BCM. I let mine laspe shorty before MAK sold it.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Skoolie

Coachwork: - Still Shopping -
Chassis: - Going Medium/Large -
Engine: - DT466 Desired -

How'd it go?? .. any schoolies show up?? .. the wife and I thought of driving over for the day (no bus, yet) but we're dealing with a health issue here at home .. would love to hear about the event though ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Probably find something over at: http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?board=1.0 . Same link as the first post.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Bus Geek

It would be neat to do that with all the skoolies. But I think a more casual "get-together" would work better since we are so spread out and there are so few of us.The entertainment, seminars, etc are a bit too much right now, I think. Better would be if everyone took pics of their interiors, etc and set up a display board in front of their buses. Perhaps if more of us would post where we are taking trips to and staying at in advance, there could be some meeting up. Right now, the closest "active" skoolie nut to me is SeanF. He's in Silver City and I'm in Socorro... moving soon to Roswell. I've finished painting the outside and need to finish putting the lights and mirrors back on. Got to get some interior work done in order to live in it. We're too busy getting it done to go anyplace.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Lorna, how about a virtual rally? Set a date, with something like two weeks advanced notice, then open a thread on that date. Let people post a picture or two (or three) of their bus project with a short desription. A discussion thread running parallel would probably be cool. Then we could all see what happens.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill
How'd it go?? .. any schoolies show up?? .. the wife and I thought of driving over for the day (no bus, yet) but we're dealing with a health issue here at home .. would love to hear about the event though ..
We had a lot of fun even though not nearly as many buses attended as had originally indicated they would. We ended up with 35 buses, including 2 skoolies, 2 transits, a Gillig Wanderlodge, a Freightliner truck conversion, and a Sprinter van conversion. Several full timers attended, including Technomadia in their new to them 4106 ( http://www.technomadia.com ). Next year I would love for more skoolies and transits to join in the fun. Chattanooga is pretty central to the Southeast which makes it a short hop for many.

Because of the lower turn out we had to scale down a bit on the facility and the last minute scaling caused some issues along the way. But we had a blast anyway. The food, entertainment, location, and seminars were great. Best of all, everyone got in lots of visiting with fellow bus nuts and looking over each others buses to get more ideas for their own.

There is a thread with a few photos here: http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/in...?topic=21907.0 Some of the photos are Photobucket or similar embeds, others are attached photos that are only visible when logged in (registration is of course free and y'all are welcome to register if you haven't already) Dale just got home yesterday and I suspect we will have more photos to show once he gets caught up and settled in.

The Travel Channel is working on a special about owner customized RV's that will feature video they got two local news stations to come out and film. That will likely air this winter. For now though you can see a brief coverage one of local news channels involved ran here: wdef.com/touring_rv_were_once_buses. Pretty short, but kinda cool that they ran it.
BusNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
Skoolie

Coachwork: - Still Shopping -
Chassis: - Going Medium/Large -
Engine: - DT466 Desired -

.. thanks for the followup busnut .. your location was exactly why I was asking about the rally .. not to far to trip over with the kids for a 2-3 day getaway .. hope to see you for next year .. will get on the mailing list ..

(edit) if I can find the mailing list .. lol .. did get registered for the forum though, so I'll lurk around there too if y'all don't mind ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
Lorna, how about a virtual rally? Set a date, with something like two weeks advanced notice, then open a thread on that date. Let people post a picture or two (or three) of their bus project with a short desription. A discussion thread running parallel would probably be cool. Then we could all see what happens.
I working on putting together a POI file for MS Streets & Trips that will show locations of the active skoolie forum posters. Unfortunately there are a lot of posters who do not list where they are located or give terribly vague locations (like "Southern California"... California is such a small state). It would be nice if folks would at least post a location of the nearest good sized town. But I will simply pick a fairly central location in their state for their location. As for the ones who don't bother with even a state for their location... they won't get listed. I thought this might help to locate ideas for a few impromptu gathering sites.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

you can list us

gbstewart

Sioux Lookout , ontario canada
2 hours northeast of the manitoba boarder
4 hours north of thunderbay ontario
Old 11-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Re: Skoolie Map - Historic Archive

There used to be a (Frappr?) map of skoolie locations. Before Google took down (Frappr?) (if that's what happened), there was a warning posted to download the file before it disappeared. The download created a file called skoolie.kmz which opens in Google Earth. When the file is turned on (box checked) in the Google Earth sidebar, the file displays markers in the old locations. Some of the markers have clickable info and photos. The file also added some markers for some major cities with no skoolies.

I tried storing the file in the skoolie photo gallery HERE, so others who use Google Earth and did not save the file might be able to download it.

- Redbear
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote