Old 01-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #1

Anybody live full time and stationary in a bus conversion?

My fiance and I have recently decided to convert an old school bus into our full time tiny home! We're pretty excited to start this whole process. We would like to be stationary as he has a full time job (i'm self employed). Ideally our goal is to be off grid with solar, grey water, composting toilet, grow a little vegetable garden, have a large porch right next to the bus and basically live our days in it! Has anyone here or know anyone who lives full time and stationary in a bus conversion?
mari3col3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
I've been mostly stationary since last July. My bus is parked next to the building I work in so I have a brisk 28 second commute to work in the mornings. We also have a composting toilet and will be installing a solar setup ASAP.

If you know you're not going to move for a long period of time it may be beneficial to block the axles and remove the tires, you could skirt around the bottom of the bus so there is less heat transfer from wind whipping underneath and such.

The most important thing you need to worry about is having a good place to park it where the local/county/state/federal "Officials" won't or can't tell you to move it. Can't even tell you how many people here have bought a bus then had to sell it or store it hours away from home because some code enforcer or neighbor makes their life a living hell.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
because some code enforcer or neighbor makes their life a living hell.
If they are, maybe because the law is on their side?
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Chassis: International 3800
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Just because its law doesn't make it right...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Just because its law doesn't make it right...
damn right.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
Bus Nut

right or wrong, if the law is the law, it is what we have to live with.
You have the choice of living within the law or taking your chances on how long you can avoid the law being applied to you.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
Bus Nut

To mari,
welcome to the forum.
Before you spend your hard earned money and physical efforts on this endeavor, you should really investigate and see if you will be able to do what you desire where you desire.
You can always go rouge and take your chances and risk loosing what you have invested yourself in.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I have found peace in trusting that i do not want to be anywhere that i am not wanted.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Hoping to go fulltime in July(date after delay). Just got lots of work to get done before then. Every day I'm hustling!

The most important thing you should consider though: Are you ready to put tens of thousands of hours & dollars into your bus? In the beginning it will test you with rusty metal, rotting wood, leaking seams, highway breakdowns, aching joints, neglected friends and family, empty bank account.

Mentally it will make you unstable. You'll have countless days where things don't go as you plan, you'll have deep frustrations that only other skoolies will understand, you may get angry when people tell you "it'll be fine", you'll have days/weeks/months undoing work you do because you cheaped out/did sloppy work, you'll have days where you regret not buying a nice premade RV.

But you will be rewarded with the knowledge necessary to build a city in a post-apocalyptic world. And you will be rewarded with an awesome tiny home which will give back all that love, tears and sweat you poured into it.

If so, buy a bus(or coach bus or a box truck) and join the club. Good luck to you either way.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Mini Bird (8 window)
Rated Cap: 24 +1
We have been living on our bus since mid-October, travel in for a couple months before settling in an RV park. We've been very fortunate and we're asked to host at the park. We work a couple of weeks a month in exchange for our rent.
Get the best bus you can manage. We ended up spending a few thousand at the mechanic before heading out. Worth every penny but we probably would have spent less overall if we spent more initially.
Keep it simple; you can always tweak things as you go along. We love our bus and the freedom and independence it represents.
Welcome and best of luck to you!
Vireo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, off grid, stationary