Old 01-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
Almost There
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54
Re: Anyone ever have campground issues? or GOOD things happen?

I have had my skoolie "Buscephus" for about 7 months, and I have only taken her camping in a public park once. It was a state park in Southeast Iowa, and I had no problems at all bringing her in amongst all the fancy 5th-wheelers. In fact, people were sitting out in their chairs and turning to watch it go by, with an occasional wave. I even had one guy walk over to my campsite to check her out. It's pretty cool to get that kind of attention. Travel trailers and 5th wheels start to look the same once you've seen enough of them, but a converted bus is always something unique to look at. I love to camp - last year I went 33 times, but I camp on private land mostly. That way nobody will tell me my skoolie isn't allowed. Screw those yuppie campgrounds that don't allow them.

arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #12
Bus Nut
Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Yeah, it really makes it easy to find when you're drunk.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:20 PM   #13
Bus Nut

If you stick with govt run campgrounds you will never have any issues. State Parks are the best as they usually offer water & electric though some are basic sites. Most of the National Park campgrounds would be basic, some of the USFS campgrounds have electric and the Army COE's usually have water & electric and are the nicest campgrounds I've ever been in.

The campground I'm in right now (Chesapeake Campground) 'may' have an issue with the school bus conversion. I've seen big bus conversions in here, but never have seen a skoolie. I'm told by some of the maint people here the owner (80 year old fella) doesn't like dumpy looking bus conversions and campers that are too old, yet I see old stuff in here all the time. I asked the security guy about it, and he said as long as it passes inspection they will let it in. He is the one that does the inspections, and basically what they are looking for is that the rig looks like an RV and not like a school bus, it must have 2 tanks (gray & black water tanks), must have seperate gate valves, not leaking and working properly. I don't think RubberMaid containers adapted for use as sewer tanks would pass the inspection. They also look for broken glass etc...

In one respect I can understand a campground not wanting rigs that look awful in there, that would scare away the big money crowd, and let's face it, big money is what makes the world go around!!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote