Old 07-14-2017, 05:54 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

First, always fuel up at the same places that the OTR trucks use... just get in line (not the line where they are eating while waiting to fuel, however). I have never in 55 yrs had any problems, (n my parents owened several otr trucks. Second, always carry at least one set of fuel filters, not to mention a boat refulling bulb or elect pump for when necessary. Third, you are risking your own injection pump, tank, etc when you run bio... Just try cleaning out a tank that has 8 inches of coagulated mess, n the lines, n the pump... I have been there on used equipment i have purchased, but that is OK, as the truck or excavator, cat, etc is cheap..Last time it only took one day for truck that i bought for scrap value...
Fourth, one is not supposed to use the farm diesel, and it is easily checked, with electronic reader now days... Use the green diesel. If you insist on using the red, at least install a separate tank, as when going down the freeway n u get checked, you can switch back to the normal bus tank n they can check that. R U guessing that some gippo OTR guys have done this? Nuff Said.\
Happy Motoring
Old 07-14-2017, 06:18 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoricide View Post
I just learned this yesterday but it might have something to do with what happened to your in-law. I've been watching diesel prices since I got my bus and yesterday I drove past a rural farm country type station that had #2 diesel and an "off-road" diesel that was 10 cents cheaper. I don't know what "off-road" diesel is but they use it in rural areas ... places that might have automated, unsupervised pump stations. I can't say I wouldn't jump on 10 cents a gallon - thats $6.50 savings for a tankful.
Off -Road diesel is generally for Tractors and other Farm Equipment.

I hope this helps someone.
BriteLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:22 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Its technically illegal to use on the highway. Its for offroad/agricultural use and its pink. If for some reason a LEO dips into your tank to check its real bad.
Chances are that will never happen. But if it does it can get EXPENSIVE depending on the state you're in.
Most of your big fuel stops have either Yellow, Blue, or Red diesel. It is this color because in the Winter time they already have the fuel conditioner in it to keep it from gelling up. It is very unusual if you see diesel with those colors in the Summer or Fall.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:49 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
are there certain colors to look for to make sure you get winterized fuel? I know when I drove the DEV from florida to ohio when it was below zero.. I kept stopping every 50 miles to put fuel in it as I headed north to make sure I had winterized fuel in the tank... plus I never shut the bus off for more than 15 minutes that whole trip...

ive noticed sometimes when I pump fuel it has a greenish tint at some stations..
-Christopher
That greenish tint is Winterized fuel.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

"Winterized" fuel is not an additive.
They blend #2 diesel with #1 diesel which is more refined and has a lower gel point.
The higher price in winter is because of the expensive jet fuel blended in.
Dixie Bushcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Isn't jet fuel pretty much just Kerosene?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

yes and can be far cheaper even tho it is refined more...best to use the no two diesel, second the no one stove oil... for like very cold op... we have sold many millions of fuel oil...

Tags
fuel, texas, traveling