Old 08-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #41
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
in ohio ANY RV even over 26k lbs with air brakes is exempt from any and all CDL requirements... im an ohio resident with ohio License.. if my bus was not Titles and tagged as an RV then I would be required to have CDL-B because im over 26k with air brakes.. but titling and registering as an RV exempts me.. so my standard driver license is valid to drive the bus.. being registered as an RV though means i cannot legally carry passengers or freight or any profit, business, or church.. at least not "offically".. however "my friends and I can take a bus ride for fun" legally without issue and my insurance covers such... same as driving my car with friends to dinner..

so if I took my bus with air brakes and GVWR of 27,500 to washington and got stopped, would they simply say "ok you are ohio you are good to go" or would it be "take a ride downtown your license is incorrect....?"

I wasn't clear. In Washington RV's are exempt from CDL requirements. Private vehicles such as trucks are exempt if gvw is 26k or less are exempt. Both exemptions assume non-commercial use.

You would be in fine shape in Washington.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #42
My own experience:

250k miles over six years in a 40' Eagle bus towing a car or pickup.

Weight 40-45k lbs

Length: slightly over 65'

Air brakes.

I visited 44 US states and 4 Canadian provinces.

I had zero problems with length, weight, equipment or licensing

I don't know it to be absolute fact but the statement above regarding reciprocity makes sense to me.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

border, british columbia, canada, crossing, skoolie