Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
in ohio ANY RV even over 26k lbs with air brakes is exempt from any and all CDL requirements... im an ohio resident with ohio License.. if my bus was not Titles and tagged as an RV then I would be required to have CDL-B because im over 26k with air brakes.. but titling and registering as an RV exempts me.. so my standard driver license is valid to drive the bus.. being registered as an RV though means i cannot legally carry passengers or freight or any profit, business, or church.. at least not "offically".. however "my friends and I can take a bus ride for fun" legally without issue and my insurance covers such... same as driving my car with friends to dinner..

so if I took my bus with air brakes and GVWR of 27,500 to washington and got stopped, would they simply say "ok you are ohio you are good to go" or would it be "take a ride downtown your license is incorrect....?"

-Christopher
I wasn't clear. In Washington RV's are exempt from CDL requirements. Private vehicles such as trucks are exempt if gvw is 26k or less are exempt. Both exemptions assume non-commercial use.

You would be in fine shape in Washington.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
My own experience:

250k miles over six years in a 40' Eagle bus towing a car or pickup.

Weight 40-45k lbs

Length: slightly over 65'

Air brakes.

I visited 44 US states and 4 Canadian provinces.

I had zero problems with length, weight, equipment or licensing

I don't know it to be absolute fact but the statement above regarding reciprocity makes sense to me.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:07 AM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but I'm curious to see if people think I'll run into any problems.

When we registered our bus, the notary suggested we do it as a station wagon to keep things simple. PA has all kinds of rules for retitling and registering as a motorhome, and we just recently made it to the point that we could potentially retitle as a motorhome (we have three of the criteria for sure, and they would need to count either a window a/c or a composting toilet we made ourselves towards our list).

Anyway, I completely forgot about this until I was thinking about our upcoming border crossing. I've been stopped by the police who asked questions about the station wagon thing before, but they always just sent me on my way. Do you think this could be a problem at the border?
Old 07-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #44
Skoolie

Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: International T 444E
Rated Cap: 71 pass., 12 window
Do you have a smaller bus to be able to call it a station wagon? In WI we are trying to meet the requirements for my 71 passenger bus conversation to be called an RV. Other option was "passenger bus" which was crazy pricy to register compared to RV.
Trail Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
Yes. Ford e450.
PigPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #46

Year: -
Coachwork: -
Chassis: -
Engine: -
Rated Cap: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Living in NJ, did you need a background check to buy that Nerf gun? I think NJ is about as bad as CA when it comes to gun laws.

boy this aged well.... So far I've seen you guys havnt complied with your unlawful and unconstitutional magazine ban. Molan Labe brother.
Tcoz95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
border, british columbia, canada, crossing, skoolie