Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: IH Loadstar 1600
Engine: 345 v8
Thanks for the information. Im gathering with my class C, and Bus titled as "Motor Home" with all the seats removed will have no issues crossing the border up north! Headed that way in April!

Cheers

Trask97140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #22

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 54 passengers
Canada>USA

I'm from the great white north and I plan on bringing my rig to 'merica for a few extensive trips. I only have a regular car licence (class 5) because that's all I need for my rig (it has no air brakes and is 2axle). Is there anything I need to do?
GucciLaine96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLaine96 View Post
I'm from the great white north and I plan on bringing my rig to 'merica for a few extensive trips. I only have a regular car licence (class 5) because that's all I need for my rig (it has no air brakes and is 2axle). Is there anything I need to do?
I have crossed over from Ontario to Minnesota with our bus , no problems, just don't bring any oranges or dog food.
gbstewart
Old 03-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Yeaaaaah, we already got oranges and dog food down here.

It gets kind of technical saying what type of license you might need here in the US. As you've read it varies from state to state. I'll be getting the endorsement for two reasons, I do have air brakes and I understand that to cross into Mexico you need a bus endorsement = air brakes endorsement = class "B" license in Oregon. Don't know the classifications for other states or countries, but it comes down to air brakes and/or simply being endorsed for a vehicle of bus size. Usually not complicated.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:23 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
HMMM....

I have visited canada in my converted Eagle.....

RCMP (royal canadian mountable pussies) did about $3k in damage to cabinets, woodwork and flooring before the sent me on my way.

I swore that I would never set foot in Canada again. I lied... After 16 years I did finally return to pick up a used truck that I bought.

They locked me, my Wife, my dog & cat in a room while they screwed with my bus. About two hours. When they were done tearing things up they thanked me for my time and sent me on my way.

It is a good thing that I left my guns at home or I may have gone to jail for shooting a couple of rcmp.

The bright side: I don't have an air brake endorsement and they didn't have a problem with that. (Ontario).

Personally, I will not ever take an RV of any sort to canada again.

I doubt that particular experience is all that typical as I had visited canada dozens of times in my car or pickup with no trouble other that the occasional bad tempered or arrogant border crossing official.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:53 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
we have part of one of our companies in canada.. I get the 3rd degree coming or going.. for a Canadian company!! so now I just refuse... they can keep their cold air and their cold attitude up north as far as im concerned
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
we have part of one of our companies in canada.. I get the 3rd degree coming or going.. for a Canadian company!! so now I just refuse... they can keep their cold air and their cold attitude up north as far as im concerned
-Christopher
Interesting...

I am generally quiet when it comes to my experiences traveling North. It is good to hear that I am not alone.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:04 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLaine96 View Post
The folks at the border (Canada or US) generally don't care about what license you have.
Sometimes the dot guy is waiting at the border, he might care. But I have never had the dot mess with my bus.
Our Gillig is slightly radioactive however, that often gets the American's attention.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Moi
Chassis: International
Engine: 444e...7.3L
Rated Cap: 36
If your bus has air brakes...you need an air brake endorsement in Canada. The Canadian Rockies are no joke...especially in BC. Try a 10% grade for 5 miles with a couple 14% switchbacks and single lanes...busy traffic and a killer turn at the bottom with a 100 foot river gorge. If you can do that without lighting your tires on fire and swimming...come on down!! you still need an air endorsement no matter where you go.
rock649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock649 View Post
If your bus has air brakes...you need an air brake endorsement in Canada. The Canadian Rockies are no joke...especially in BC. Try a 10% grade for 5 miles with a couple 14% switchbacks and single lanes...busy traffic and a killer turn at the bottom with a 100 foot river gorge. If you can do that without lighting your tires on fire and swimming...come on down!! you still need an air endorsement no matter where you go.
No doubt that complying with appropriate regulations is generally considered a good thing.

On occasion I may choose to "bend the rules" a bit. Sometimes I drive 63mph in a 60mph zone or I may even drive a 63' rig through a state with a 60' max. If the states that I regularly drive in required the endorsement I would certainly have it. However, it is not required here.

Amazingly, my air brakes worked fine driving the Rockies, Bitteroot, and San Juan Mountians even without the benefit of an endorsement.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:58 PM   #31
Bus Geek

so if i travel through certain states i should be stopping in each state and getting endorsements on my ohio license for other states for my air brake bus??

im trying to figure how that works... i would have to stop when i got into canada nd somehow take a test so I can drive the bus in canada?

-Christopher
Old 08-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I don't expect any state will (or even could) put an endorsement on a driver license issued by another state.

Some states don't offer an air brake endorsement. Utah, for example. So far as I can tell any person with a Utah class A-C commercial driver license is licensed for air brakes, unless they have the "no air brakes" restriction printed on the license. There isn't an air brake endorsement available for Utah's class D (non-commercial) license.

So far as I'm aware, within the US all the states have reciprocity with their driver licenses. This would mean that if you're traveling outside the state where your license is issued, the state you're visiting would uphold the privileges and restrictions your state has attached to your license. If your state is like Utah and does not offer an air brake endorsement for non-commercial licenses, and does not require a commercial license for air-braked vehicles in private use, then I expect any state you might visit should honor that too.

Canada may be an entirely different story. I don't have any idea how international driver license reciprocity works.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

I have my class A with air brake endorsement. Also i kept my passenger endorsement for when i drove school bus for 2 years. My bus dont have air brakes and its a manual transmission. Still dont have a desire to get harrased by the Canadian boarder patrol cuz i drive a bus. Plenty of states to visit before i try and venture to Alaska. Thanks guys for this thread. Very informative
Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:37 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
I don't expect any state will (or even could) put an endorsement on a driver license issued by another state.

Some states don't offer an air brake endorsement. Utah, for example. So far as I can tell any person with a Utah class A-C commercial driver license is licensed for air brakes, unless they have the "no air brakes" restriction printed on the license. There isn't an air brake endorsement available for Utah's class D (non-commercial) license.

So far as I'm aware, within the US all the states have reciprocity with their driver licenses. This would mean that if you're traveling outside the state where your license is issued, the state you're visiting would uphold the privileges and restrictions your state has attached to your license. If your state is like Utah and does not offer an air brake endorsement for non-commercial licenses, and does not require a commercial license for air-braked vehicles in private use, then I expect any state you might visit should honor that too.

Canada may be an entirely different story. I don't have any idea how international driver license reciprocity works.
Well put!

Similar in Washington except if you have a CDL and want to drive an air brake equipped vehicle you do have to pass the air brake portion of the exam. If you don't then you are restricted to hydraulic brakes. RV's and private(non-commercial) vehicles under 26000lbs are specifically exempt from the CDL requirement.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:44 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Well put!

Similar in Washington except if you have a CDL and want to drive an air brake equipped vehicle you do have to pass the air brake portion of the exam. If you don't then you are restricted to hydraulic brakes. RV's and private(non-commercial) vehicles under 26000lbs are specifically exempt from the CDL requirement.
in ohio ANY RV even over 26k lbs with air brakes is exempt from any and all CDL requirements... im an ohio resident with ohio License.. if my bus was not Titles and tagged as an RV then I would be required to have CDL-B because im over 26k with air brakes.. but titling and registering as an RV exempts me.. so my standard driver license is valid to drive the bus.. being registered as an RV though means i cannot legally carry passengers or freight or any profit, business, or church.. at least not "offically".. however "my friends and I can take a bus ride for fun" legally without issue and my insurance covers such... same as driving my car with friends to dinner..

so if I took my bus with air brakes and GVWR of 27,500 to washington and got stopped, would they simply say "ok you are ohio you are good to go" or would it be "take a ride downtown your license is incorrect....?"

-Christopher
Old 08-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Similar in Washington except if you have a CDL and want to drive an air brake equipped vehicle you do have to pass the air brake portion of the exam. If you don't then you are restricted to hydraulic brakes.
That's actually the same as in Utah. I can't imagine a reason why a person would sit for the CDL exam and skip the five or so questions for the air brake section -- but a person technically could choose the air brake restriction and skip (or flunk) the associated questions on the exam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
so if I took my bus with air brakes and GVWR of 27,500 to washington and got stopped, would they simply say "ok you are ohio you are good to go" or would it be "take a ride downtown your license is incorrect....?"
I haven't heard of a person being arrested over a license class violation. A citation, perhaps, and probably require the vehicle to be parked where the stop occurred until a licensed driver can be located or else tow the vehicle away. An honest explanation of "I believe I'm licensed appropriately in my state and understood it would be honored while visiting other states" might get a person off with a warning.

Are there actually any US states with restrictions about non-CDL drivers operating heavy private/non-commercial air-braked vehicles? I really don't know if this is all just theory, or if there's really a state where it could be an issue.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Texas has non-CDL classes of Licenses. An RV of greater than 26k lbs, driven for personal use, requires a non-CDL class B license.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:53 PM   #38

If you hold an operator's license from your home jurisdiction, and you are driving a vehicle which meets the requirements of your home state, you will have no difficulty driving anywhere in Canada. You will not be grilled about your license class or what your RV used to be. If your vehicle is being operated "For Profit" or in a commercial capacity, you will have to be licensed in your home state for that activity.
If you elect to change your residency to Canada, you will be expected to comply with that provinces regulation. Just don't attempt to bring firearms over the border.
prairiescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:21 AM   #39
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
if your drivers license is valid for your vehicle at home, its valid in Canada. when seeking a BC driver's license, they have multiple categories with and with out air brake endorsments. that doesnt matter as long as you arent emigrating.

the problems you will run into have to do with your insurance, your pets, your children, your firearms, possible fruits and veggies. do you have proper documentation for all of them. you'll need it.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #40
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
if your drivers license is valid for your vehicle at home, its valid in Canada. when seeking a BC driver's license, they have multiple categories with and with out air brake endorsments. that doesnt matter as long as you arent emigrating.

the problems you will run into have to do with your insurance, your pets, your children, your firearms, possible fruits and veggies. do you have proper documentation for all of them. you'll need it.
ive had issues with that just travelling back and forth by PLANE!! and one of my paychecks is written by a company owned and operated in canada... no reason to bring guns across... i have no kids, pets, and I dont like fruits n veggies but by gosh the border patrol seems to think IP telephones and macBook Pros are a Threat to them somewhow lol..

-Christopher

Tags
border, british columbia, canada, crossing, skoolie