Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Burning Man 2009 -- Evolution!

The Man burns in 186 days!

I'll be in Camp Apokiliptika, inside Terminal City. We are hoping for A around 3:10 as before, but won't know for sure until August.

Among other silliness, we will be conducting Assisted Evolution experiments by extracting DNA from random passers-by (that's you!) and injecting same into... uh... various lifeforms. (Google "Island of Dr. Moreau".)

I'll be equipped to repair bicycles, if you should have that need.

(Sorry, my 2007 Kinetic Sculpture Racing Camp was only that one year.)

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24
Re: Burning Man 2009 -- Evolution!

Thanks for the re-direction, Elliot! The wife and I will be in the Placement Team camp (no name or location yet) in Center Camp. Our 2 Gilligs (hopefully both) will be there. I'm working City Survey, Theme Camp Flagging, and helping with Theme Camp Placement. This will be my 15th straight Burningman!! 13 straight for the wife, who I met at the old 80 acres work camp in Hualapai Flat. It rained mud here in Winnemucca yesterday and today from all the dust in the air. Lets Burn!
Old 03-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Elkoskoolie:
Wow, I'll have to take my shoes off and bow when I meet you two!
Only three years so far for me. Knew about it earlier, but had never camped out. Then I did some tent camping at Kinetic races, and found I could survive that. So I bought a bus and off to Burning Man I went.

Riley:
"What will I take with me?" I what regard? Water, food, skin lotion, costumes, props, at least one large pedal-vehicle....

Folks who stumble in here, wondering what Burning Man is about:
Be advised that the Burning Man Art Festival is NOT for everyone.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Alas, turns out I will not be going this year. "Reality" has caught up with me and I need to work full time for a while. Once in a while, I cannot have everything!

Enjoy yourselves, and I'll see you there in 2010.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BLUEBIRD
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

We have tickets & are planning on getting there somehow!! I have submitted a mutant vehicle app. I'm not working but interviewing & seem to have way to many things going on at once

We should be camped at Anonymous Village(6:30 & E last year) or just across the street-

Cpt Smashy look forward to meeting you and seeing your bus, looking at Millicent in person last year was inspirational.

Elliot will miss seeing you, your creations, & Millicent again- I'm contemplating a trans swap & was hoping to take pictures of the 643 mounting brackets

Xtevan
Xtevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Skoolie

EDIT!!! I'll be at 6:30 and Evolution, NOT 5:30

I'll be camped at 5:30 and Evolution, which is the outer Center Camp ring road. Kind of a wedge shaped area where the straight road and round road merge. 2 white Gillig's will be there. Ask for WD (me) or Sweetthang, my wife. We're usually out working, but you'll catch up with us. Stop in, say hi, have a beer, let me know where your bus is!
Old 08-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I'm just sick that I cannot go this year.
And I can not even blame the national economy. This is all my own fault for failing plan and budget. But this is the year I'm building The Barn (hobby workshop), and something had to give.
I'll be there next year.

The Playa surface condition is reported to be very good this year. Enjoy!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
Skoolie

I'm in Winnemucca overnight, after 3 weeks on the Playa. The playa is in very good condition, MUCH MUCH better than last year. Scattered storms in the first week of Aug, but not bad. HOT now. Look for my Gillig... the rear in on Evolution, just outside (away from the Man) fron Biology on the 6:30 side. Right across from the DPW power camp. Ask for WD (me) or Sweetthang (wife).

Jungo road just got graded from Winnemucca to the mine at Sulfur, so it's in good shape. They took out some nasty washboard about 20 miles out. From the mine to Gerlach is pretty good, but still go slow. I've completed the trip both ways, one each in 2 different Gillig (one w/ 16 year old tires), even crossed the tracks at Trego without scraping bottom. All in all pretty good for Jungo Road.

Stop by and say Hi!
Old 08-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Stop the presses! Hold the phone! I'M GOING TO BURNING MAN THIS YEAR AFTER ALL!

The Force is simply too strong. Resistance is futile.

But I do NOT know where I will be camped. Originally, this was supposed to be my year with Camp Apokiliptika in Terminal Village. But since I cancelled, they have filled my space -- and they did not get as much space as they had applied for. Still, I might wind up somewhere in Terminal Village, so look there first. "A" street around 3:00 to 3:15.

Second possibility is near Love Letter Couriers. This is not a Placed camp, but they are targeting 8:30 and E.

Third possibility is Camp Inspiratum at 7:30 and... I'll have to look it up -- F to E or some such -- a full block facing 7:30.

Of course, the fourth possibility is somewhere else. But Millicent should be easy to spot. She still looks like in the picture below.

See you On The Playa!

Old 08-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Is my signature not working?

Well, it works now.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #11
Bus Geek

So... I arrive in Black Rock City and I'm cruising gently (5 MPH, no dust) towards my camping spot when an official looking person flags me down and askes if this is Millicent? Yes, it is. Turns out, he is Elkoskoolie.

I never got around to visiting Elkoskoolie's Gillig, but I did meet up with Smashy and his red Blue Bird.

And a good time was had by all!

Old 10-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

Ok...all you burners. I have some questions?

First of all, I want to go in 2010. The wife has to "want to go" too, which may not be that easy. I have some psych ops in the works for that. I have read damn near everything possible concerning the event(mostly from the burning man sight). I have watched a s...load of you tube videos. I have seen hundreds of pictures. I think I have a fairly good idea of what it is and what it isn't.

I will not go if I don't think my bus will make the trip. I have no reason to believe so thus far. I am rigging and converting the bus to accomodate the rules set forth by burning man. The drive there and back is extensive, thus a major downer but enough of that.

Of all the information I have personally downloaded there still some things I need to know to maximize my experience. I really cannot tell where the best place to seek a camp would be. It is hard to tell from the pics and city layout I have seen. Where do the art cars cruise at? It seems the inner ring is the most dense and each ring out is less dense? The quietest area would be towards walk-in camping, which seems a long way from the main stuff. I guess what I am looking for is something close, but not too close. A spot where I could park the bus to block trade winds and have a view of art cars(there will be a deck on top) or other activity with a sunset or sunrise view possibly. i think I would prefer something on the edges. It appears all the art installations are towards the center and furthur out that direction.
I don't know anyone that goes to this. Im not sure i want to hook up with a group of people I do not know....or understand. That has the possibillity to be a real buzz kill.
Any thoughts are recommendations from the folks who have been there would be greatky appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any enlightenment you may be able to share.
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
Bus Geek

My advice is to stay with a previously established camp. It's a great way to meet new people, and to share resources. What i do, is have nearly everything i need to survive for the week so i am not a burden on the other campmates, and i always have something to share, like power from my gennie, or spare water, cooking utensils etc. I also find i always leave home without something i really should have....like aloe, or toothpaste. Camping with others is nice because there is always someone who brought 2 bottles of aloe or toothpaste or whatever.

You don't need to spend all week in/on your bus. Get out, adventure, go places. I find that Where i camp isn't really that important to my burning experience. The city really isn't that big. Biking is a good way to get somewhere fast, but walking is much more desirable if you like to talk and meet new people.

you can camp with people who live local to you. There are regional burner groups all over the world. burningman.com has the resources to put you in touch with your local burner group. Alternatively, you can search the bm message board in search of a camp. Some camps require camp fees to help pay for infrastructure. It costs a lot of money to put a good camp together. I think most of the noise is out at the ends of the city, like near 10 and 2. The further away from those areas you stay, the quieter you sleeping experience. Although foam earplugs are a great idea!
Old 10-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
Skoolie

Where you camp is partly a function of when you arrive. Closer in areas fill in FAST!! Look at previous event maps. Certain areas have different "vibes" Kidsville is usually at 5-5:30 near D, and the immediate area is a bit toned down. Alternate Energy and Hushville are also quieter areas. 2:00 and 10:00 are large scale sound, LOUD!! There also tend to be some loud camps near 8-9:00. Decide on a general area based on the above and your research, and when you arrive cruise the selected area and you'll find that spot that "Feels right!". Stop, get out, say hi to the neighbors then either set up or move on! Bring some kind of shade that is extreme wind stable, and lots of costume clothing.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #15
Bus Geek

As mentioned already, it is not such a bad thing to be camped in the quiet areas. If you should find that it is TOO quiet for you, you will know how to fix that nest year!

The Mutant Vehicles spend much of their active time inside the inner circle street -- where YOU wil be also, much of the time. No problem.

Bring bicycles, or borrow them from me. Walking is fine also, except for the "Outer Playa" which is a bit far from the quiet end of town.

As for convincing the wife to join you in this adventure... keep in mind that Burning Man is definitely NOT for everyone.

To my mind, it is perfectly OK to camp by yourselves. You won't be lonely for long.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #16

That was really cool man..
Old 10-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #17

Year: 2000
Coachwork: viet nam
Chassis: 300
Engine: 300

good men
kevin80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:25 AM   #18

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Honda
Chassis: 2004
Engine: 450
Rated Cap: 3

Thanks for sharing this .
Old 01-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Well, I missed 2011, but hope to return this year.