Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Burning Man 2010 - Metropolis

I could certainly put a door over it, similar to a fuel filler door. But the main point is, that for a camp-out like Burning Man, we need a way to monitor and ration accumulation of gray water, since we cannot dump it on the ground. And this system did the job.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Elliot, thanks for the report.
A thought - with a 64 gallon grey tank, and a 70 gallon black tank, maybe a cheap pump to offload some of the grey into the black for more "breathing room," if you can't set up a valve to do it by gravity? Granted, overflow of the black tank would be more critical, and you probably can't transfer the other way. But it does sound like you could extend boondocking a bit more with a careful transfer.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #23
Bus Geek

A transfer can be done quite easily by opening both drain valves -- while leaving the drain cap on. (Assuming a standard RV outlet system.) But as you point out, the sewer tank is more important, and my only way to measure its level is to look -- or poke a stick -- down the toilet.

I have now done precisely that "stick" measurement, and the sewer tank is around 2/3 full. That was four adults and some occasional visitors for ten days. (The use of a nice toilet is a valuable "gift" at Burning Man. When camp guests start crossing their legs and ask where the nearest porta-potties are, it is really cool to just point to Millicent's built-in facilities.) 2/3 full is all I ever want to see the sewer tank, so I am definitely going to add a second 64 gallon gray tank (which I have planned on all along). Maybe even a third, though it would need to be a bit smaller to fit.

While we are on this topic.... Don't be shy with the de-stinking chemical! The label often starts by saying "4 ounces", but don't stop reading there, because the next thing it says is "per ten gallons". Also, once in use, the stuff is not effective for all that long. I started with a quart, and added a pint mid-week (on the advice of a more sensitive nose among us). I use the same stuff in the gray tank; just a bit less of it.

(A couple of years ago some friends of ours built a shower up on a flatbed trailer and drained the gray water into a barrel underneath. But no chemical. Then they asked me to carry that barrel outta there. Peeeeyooooo! But I poured a good dash of RV chemical in there, and it became stink-free almost instantly. A valid case of "better living thru chemistry"!)

All right, gotta go out and drain all this stuff. (I use the sewer cleanout next to my house.)

Old 09-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Here is a shot from the top of our display, with four of our Kinetic Racing Sculptures (pedal-vehicles) parked in front. The ship on the far left is a visiting motorized "Mutant Vehicle", based on a motor home chassis.

And....
View of our display from the opposite direction, during the brief rain shower we enjoyed early in the week.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #25
Bus Geek

There is actually a Thunderdome at Burning Man every year. Very popular. "Nerf" weapons.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: American eagle
Chassis: Silver Eagle
Engine: Screaming Jimmy 8v-71
Rated Cap: 46

I had 20 people and gear pulled a 32' converted RV to a trailer and 20 peoples gear and made the trip fine.Boy after everyone was loaded up my tc2000 was really stretching to hit 35mph! but once it hits that 3rd gear it's all up from there. I camped with red lightning at F and 6:30 Milicent i did see you in your kinetic vehicle around 3:00 but was just to many things at the time going on to stop and say hi. I was stuck at the gate during the sand storm white out then it started raining ..the rainbow triple rainbow was cool. I have The whole trip only "PG-13 rated" with pics and video are on my website >>>

Old 09-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Amazing what a little Cummins 5.9 can pull!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #28
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess

Amazing what a little Cummins 5.9 can pull!
I can't believe it! It cruised 55- 60 smooth and around the 10mpg mark. I never tested the vehicle under such loaded conditions before ..and it was fine...next year I guess I'll be bringing alot more people and stuff!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Chadluc, that's truly remarkable!
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

No kidding.....I was a little worried about pulling a small vehicle with mine(5.9 as well). Perhaps it was unwarranted. Any overheating issues?
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Millicent has never overheated. When the engine temperature rises, the radiator fan comes on and the temperature drops right back down.

The transmission temperature gauge does not work -- at least not properly, I think. But after four years of many long hard mountains, the fluid is still a nice clear pink. So I have stopped worrying about that.

"Your mileage may vary." I may have been lucky to get a bus in better than average condition.

If in doubt, I would probably invest in a new radiator. Expensive, but necessary. Of course, make darned sure the fan clutch works.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #32
Skoolie

Nope the needle may on a big hill rise slighly off the 12 o clock position and my speed usually drops to about 25mph..But once I make the hill, I get right back up to 65mph and the needle lowers.run my bus same as millicent's except mines a 94' and put thousands of miles pulling the load the whole 72' and never has over heated or even caused any consern. Not sure what this bus can handle but if it gets to big and heavy to the point it has trouble catching the next gear I can always put a higher rearend gear in!