Old 09-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Re: BURNINGMAN 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmah
and he came up with a white lie to make himself look good.
Or to see if the people inside were on drugs...
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #32
Bus Geek

i spent an hour or so searching for the motor vehicle code online and cannot find any official data on motorhomes/rv's at weigh stations in michigan. All the forums i run across say rv's are exempt. I think i'll stop by the local michigan state police post and ask them. If they say i'm exempt, i'll have them help me find the law so i can print it out and keep a copy in the bus. if RV's are not exempt, then i'll start going through weigh stations in michigan.

Driving to bm the past four years = 20,000 miles, plus i've driven just this bus at least 10K miles not going to the burn, and i've never had a problem not stopping at a weigh station.

i do think if it was daytime and they could clearly see the bus they would not have pulled me over. Part of me thinks that he was really excited to catch one that didnt stop and was dissapointed when he saw my non-commercial plate.

PHOTOS: these are in no partuclar order

see all of my 2007 bm skoolie photos: http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Sk...m07/?g2_page=4

here a shot of the line of cars waiting to get into burningman. you can' tell from the photo, but the line was over 7 miles long

somewhere on the playa

on the road

still waiting in line

A nite or two before the total lunar eclipse

we dropped the silver truck off at my buddys' house here in wyoming on the way out

Old 09-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

For what it's worth my interpretation of Minnesota law says that if the trailer is over 10,000 lbs you're commercial, whether you're commercial or not. That is also the word I got from the lady at the DMV. At the same time you never see people pulling 3 Jeeps up to the OHV park or a big fiver to the lakes getting pulled over.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:55 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Millicent is safely home from BM.

Met Jason there.

More later. Must sleep.....

(Woohoo!)
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:03 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess
Millicent is safely home from BM.

Met Jason there.

More later. Must sleep.....

(Woohoo!)
Good news that. Did you notice anything I should know about what to do/not to do when raising the roof? I plan to try and get mine raised this coming weekend.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #36
Bus Crazy

Well, I'm still comatose, but how about... go higher! Upper bunks need air space above, or it becomes too hot and stuffy up there. This must be balanced with the need for any kind of installation on top of the roof, but we are legally safe to 13 feet six inches, and 14 feet most places. So if I were doing Millicent over, I would probably go up three feet instead of just two.

I still got 9 MPG, so wind resistance did not totally kill my milage.

Must sleep more....
Old 09-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

OH, Abbott:

The skin. All that new sheet aluminum skin on Millicent rattles and booms and oil-cans and thunders like a Jamaican oil drum orchestra. The rattle-can foam I sprayed into the seams helped a lot, but you may want to use a glue when you install the skin. And the skin needs support in the "middle" -- so it does not oil-can. That is, unless you use "plate" instead of "sheet" for skin, but that would be heavy and expensive. I don't know yet what I'll be using, but perhaps liquid nails and solid foam, or bulk spray in foam, or....

There you are: the "booming" of the new skin was the main complaint.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess
OH, Abbott:

The skin. All that new sheet aluminum skin on Millicent rattles and booms and oil-cans and thunders like a Jamaican oil drum orchestra. The rattle-can foam I sprayed into the seams helped a lot, but you may want to use a glue when you install the skin. And the skin needs support in the "middle" -- so it does not oil-can. That is, unless you use "plate" instead of "sheet" for skin, but that would be heavy and expensive. I don't know yet what I'll be using, but perhaps liquid nails and solid foam, or bulk spray in foam, or....

There you are: the "booming" of the new skin was the main complaint.

Thanks for that Elliot. I was wondering how that aluminum was working. I have 7 4' X 8' sheets of 20 gauge cold roll I will be using. I will need to pick up a couple more sheets to finish. I also have 60' 2 3/4" X 1 1/4" tubing for the uprights and bracing and 60' of 1 1/4" square tubing for the new door frame, window frames and bracing. I already have the back cap lose and I finished cutting the front cap loose today with a cutting torch (low flame) and a skill saw with a carborundum blade. The trick was not to damage the windshield with the slag from the torch. Duct tape, cardboard and a couple pieces of old metal flashing I had laying about worked ok for that.

I was also able to get two of my lifting devices (3/4" allthread) welded on, I plan to build the other two tomorrow and add some diagonal bracing...I am not sure I trust the 1/4" angle iron by itself without a gusset. I am expecting to raise the roof 18" this weekend. A rough measurement shows that an 18" lift (approximately) will work out with the 48" wide sheets of skin without trimming them.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

The all thread jacks should do the job -- if the welds are adequate. You might want to "follow the top up" with wood blocks or something in case an angle tears loose.

And... do you have adequate guidance so the entire top, perched on just the all thread, cannot rack over and tumble to the #$%^%$# ground? The top is a rather large sail. Also, gravity can/will pull those all thread screws over in a jiffy if they are not abso-freaking-lutely vertical.

Please consider rigging some sort of very stable guides like I did.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Yes, I am going to add angle iron guides with welds and clamps to (two) to four posts, plus the four all thread lifts with guides. I plan to put a 2X4 block under the bottom piece of angle (to the floor) then gusset the top piece of 1/4" angle iron with a piece of light gauge angle. If all goes as planned I should have the roof up and be welding in the window post extensions no later then this coming Sunday.