Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2007, 09:19 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Re: BURNINGMAN 2007

My bus will be ready to roll this spring. I've got my wife convinced that we need to drive our bus from OKC to Black Rock City next year assuming I'm not deployed or TDY like I was this year. But I definitely feel a calling to be there. Anyways, do you think anybody would have a problem with me flying my powered paraglider out there? Any of you see one of these or any type of aircraft out there?

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I want one! Looks a whole lot cheaper than a Kitfox and LSA certification.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Matt:

There are indeed aircraft out there -- I don't quite know one from another. More to the point, there is a Black Rock City Airport! It's a temporary dirt field, FAA approved. Try poking around a bit on http://www.burningman.com, and you will probably find your answers.

After spending a few hours, or days, on the web site -- and their GIANT forum called e-Playa -- you will probably know if BM is for you.

About a dozen of our 20+ camp members were newbies (called virgins in BM slang), and they were all glad they went, but some said that once was enough.

Feel free to ask me questions.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:52 AM   #44
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
I want one! Looks a whole lot cheaper than a Kitfox and LSA certification.
It is. They start around $5,000 for a setup. Mine was $7,900 and is a top of the line unit. It's a Fresh Breeze Simonini 122 and the wing is an Edel Power Atlas. The $7,900 included the motor, wing, tools, oil, shipping and training. I did have to pay for the airline ticket for the guy to come to Oklahoma and do the training. It was like $250. He pays for his hotel and food, but I went ahead and paid that as well. My dad bought one as well. It is a total blast to fly. You don't have to have a pilots license to fly it either. I've been a licensed pilot for almost 11 years now. This thing is totally different than flying an actual airplane. There aren't many rules. Stay 5 miles or more from any controlled airport and you're good. I spend most of my time flying down low. Like below 100 feet. But I've been as high as 5,000 feet, and my machine is capable of climbing to over 12,000 feet. It's cold up there though, even on a blistering hot day in the summer. My dad and I are both pilots. We wanted to build a Kitfox, but we lack funds. These were a lot cheaper and a lot more fun in my opinion. You can take off just about anywhere. With no wind, I can be off the ground in about 30 feet. Check out http://www.flightjunkies.com That's where I bought mine from. He has tons of pictures and videos on there.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:54 AM   #45
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess

Matt:

There are indeed aircraft out there -- I don't quite know one from another. More to the point, there is a Black Rock City Airport! It's a temporary dirt field, FAA approved. Try poking around a bit on http://www.burningman.com, and you will probably find your answers.

After spending a few hours, or days, on the web site -- and their GIANT forum called e-Playa -- you will probably know if BM is for you.

About a dozen of our 20+ camp members were newbies (called virgins in BM slang), and they were all glad they went, but some said that once was enough.

Feel free to ask me questions.
WOO HOO! I'm there! I've been looking at that site for the past few days. My wife says she'll go, but doesn't really get what it's all about. Me either really. I'm under the impression that I just have to go see. I have an aunt and uncle that go every year. They tell me I just need to go out there and see it for myself. I guess I will. I wonder if we could have a skoolie camp next year? What kinds of things do you guys bring as gifts?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:46 AM   #46
Bus Geek

Quote:
What kinds of things do you guys bring as gifts?

i have a freezer and usually bring a couple hundred icee pops....flavored frozen ice in a little tube if you're not familiar
Old 09-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #47
Bus Geek

The best gifts, by far, are the ones you DO, as opposed to stuff you stick in somebody's hand. Of course, food and drink and snacks like Jason's icee pops are a sure hit. But the way to peg the gift meter is to walk around singing, or pick up a piece of litter on the ground, or help somebody secure their tent in the wind, or fix their bicycle, or some other way interact and contribute to their enjoyment and well being.

You say you plan to go to Burning Man to see for yourself. SEE. Well, sure you are going to see much amazing stuff, but you are not ready to go to BM until you feel like going to BM to PARTICIPATE. BM is a No Spectators event.
That said, OF COURSE you have to go and SEE FOR YOURSELF. I just wanted to make a point about the nature of the BM COMMUNITY.

A Skoolie Camp? That's a possibility. But my "big idea" at the moment is to try to organize a Music Camp.
Remember that nothing on Earth is perfect. Not even Burning Man. My main complaint about BM is the music. BM is completely dominated by loud electronic monotonous dance rythms known as "techno". Most burners, so far as I can tell from talking to people, do NOT like it, but the folks who play the stuff seem bent on "sharing".
So I'm considering a counter offensive. Real music. Live, accoustic, melodious, harmonious music. Folk Songs, Jazz, Irish Jigs, Barber Shop Quartets, Chamber Trio, Rock'n'Roll... all kinds of real music in a techno-free cocoon/oasis/sanctuary.
Anybody?

Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #48
Bus Nut

My problem is, is I don't have an artistic bone in my body. Hell, I had to whore my paint job idea off of Jason. But I'd definitely like to participate. I can fix bicycles all day long. I agree on the techno/rave music. I could sure live without it but I'll bring earplugs.

Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net
Old 09-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Matt:
The universal mode of transportation in Black Rock City is the bicycle. And the operating conditions are harsh. I fixed flats on brand new bikes, purchased in Reno on the way to the event. Other bikes need long overdue mechanical repairs because they are old junkers. Many crank-, wheel- and steering-bearings simply succumb to the dust. So there is a huge demand for bicycle repair. If you set up shop for a few hours a day, you'll be a Hero!

As for artistic talent, odds are you are selling yourself short. Art is everywhere. Anything can be art. There is art in EVERY bone in your body.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #50
Bus Geek

For us who like to play with large motor vehicles, this may have been the most relevant sculpture on the Playa this year:

It is called Big Rig Jig. Yes, those are two genuine full size 18-wheeler tank trucks. (And yes, it looks a bit like two scorpions mating!) People could climb inside them, all the way to the top.

This... just in case you thought "Art Festival" sounded too limiting.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #51
Bus Nut

I have a couple of higher end mountain bikes (Trek's). Do you guys ever see higher end bikes, or should I just pick up a couple of Wal-Mart bikes before I go? I'm thinking some Wal-Mart bikes are something I wouldn't mind trashing. Maybe I'll use my mediocre welding skills to weld up a ridiculous looking bike. Something my wife and I could both ride on.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #52
Bus Geek

The soil of the Playa is quite alkaline, and the dust will corrode metal as soon as it meets up with moisture. So leave your Treks at home. Mostly, folks use "thrift store bikes". And yes, many who fly in from far away stop at Wally-World, Toys-R-Us and similar outlets in Reno and buy an expendable bike there.

Sitting here now, I look out the window and see a row of around 20 Wal-Mart bikes -- all brand new two weeks ago. They were all donated to our camp at the end of the event -- a total of around 50 bikes. All MUST be cleaned right down to the last bearing ball before the first rain hits. (Or moved into my new hobby barn, still in progress.)

OF COURSE you should build a cool two-seater!!!!!! You should be able to see all kinds of such in the gallery on the BM web site. A "Sociable" works great on the Playa. A Sociable seats two people side-by-side, on either three or four wheels. I think the ideal Playa bike for a couple would be a three wheel sociable on extra strong wheels, like moped wheels. And with a folding shade roof. And comfortable seats.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #53
Bus Geek

A four wheel Sociable:
http://marc.merlins.org/perso/bm/Pix/in ... _Bikes.jpg

Old 09-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I can't help but wonder what kind of trouble the world [in]famous Eveleth Clown Band, an American tradition since 1949, could get into at Burningman.....

The first video is a personal favorite of mine....(I'm the "dedicated one" wearing the t-shirt and box on a steamy November night)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... ID=4075856

Old 09-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #55
Bus Geek

i climbed the big rig jig all the way to the top....that thing was pretty cool.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #56
Bus Nut

For anybody interested in powered paragliding, here's some video I shot tonight on the NE side of Oklahoma City. I didn't edit it or anything. It's about 5 minutes. I flew over my mom's house at one point. That's why I yell "Hi Mom" in the video.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:32 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Woohoo! Looks like I "need" to move to Eveleth -- at least for the Christmas season!

But at Burning Man... Nobody would notice you. Too discrete, subtle and dignified.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #58
Bus Geek

The Christmas thing is actually in Duluth, Minnesota. I wish it was in Eveleth because the parade route would have to be shorter....the town just isn't that long. We can be discrete...or not...it depends on the mood.

If you want to learn a little more (ok...it's not much) try

http://www.toecb.com

If you look at the slideshow from Two Harbors (perhaps labeled as Couple Harbors?) you will see a band in golden uniforms. These men belong to Marty's Goldenaires of Bessemer, Michigan and are absolutely phenomenal. I have seen amazing marching bands, but the music talent of this group...well...it gives me goosebumps. There are members of the ECB that are by no means musical slouches and if we could figure out that pesky G Major drum and buggle corps tuning we might do ok up against them, but I politely bow to them. At the same time I think they envy our ability to par-tay...and of course the Majik Clown Bus.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

Burning Man '07 seen from above (hi-res jpeg)

Link to 8698 x 8735 pixel 7.32 MB jpeg of Black Rock City, as seen from the sky, during Burning Man 2007.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:14 AM   #60
Bus Geek

More photos from Kinetic Sculpture Racing Camp 2007:

A random view from inside the camp towards the street corner.

This visitor turned out to be a veteran Kinetic Racer.

Two visitors test drive Dave Hershberger’s “Son Of Unwheeldy”.

One of our kineticists on Pear County Chopper.