Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2005, 11:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

burningman

who is going to burning man? I have never been but sort of want to go. open to any advice, suggestions, etc. thanks.

wonderkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 05:33 AM   #2
Bus Geek

I'm going to burningman. This is my 2nd year.

It's actually getting kinda late in the year to not have made up your mind as to weather you're going or not. For most of us, the trip to burningman requires a really big commitment of time and resources.

Tickets now are now $250 each. That's still not a bad price when you realize that you're there for 8 days. Tickets were only about $150. when they first went on sale in january. I think that most everyoen that goes to the event probably spends at least $1,000 by the time the trip is finished. That inculdes camping stuff, food, transpotation to and from, ect. Certianly the trip can be done for a lot less, or a lot more depending on what you feel you NEED to survive in the desert for more than a week.

where are you from?
any more ???
Old 06-17-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 370
Rated Cap: 44
I really want to go, but like Jason said, its a little late to jump into it. Plus I have to convence the little lady that she wants to camp in the middle of the desert for a whole week with a bunch of hippies jk. I would also have quite a drive and Im not 80% sure my rig can make it.

So im gonna work like hell to go in 2006 or 2007

Plotting the next project now. Looking for a clean diesel pusher with low rust/miles. Identical plans with plumming and biodiesel added :)
dammitAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:13 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American FE
Engine: Cummins 555 9.1 L diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Burning Man

I can't wait. And thus far it's cost me about 4,500 bucks, but that includes a new skoolie. Um, that was not exactly in my personal budget, but there it is.

Somehow we'll all have to figure out a way to meet up--we'll probably recognize buses, BUT friends of mine shared an experience of BM this way:

They met a guy who told them to stop by his camp later on, gave his address in BRC and said they couldn't miss it, his camp was the one with the big red bus with the couch on the roof. Well, they missed it, and explained that BM was one of the few places that a red bus with a couch on the roof was tough to spot...

I CAN'T WAIT!!
Old 06-18-2005, 10:23 AM   #5
Bus Geek

several people were unable to find my bus, and it's 37 feet long, has a big yellow rack on top, and flames down the sides.

Once i find out where my camp is gonna be this year, i'll let ya'll know. Last year i lived at 5 o'clock and venus.

The first couple days i was there i thought i'd go around and take photo's of all the buses. About 50 buses later i gave up!

The outer roads (rings) like neptune are several miles long.

If anone wants a ride, i'm still looking for up to 2 more passengers.

*just a note: I edited the title of this thread to "burningman", all one word.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:06 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

when exactly is it this year? and by ''it is getting kind of late" does that mean it is too late? I have tried looking up information but I am still somewhat baffled by the scope of it. and how diverse a crowd is it? all I can find is information on naked and drugged hippies (not that I have problems with naked and drugged hippies.... just wondering if that is the norm/target audience).
thanks!
wonderkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 02:55 PM   #7
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
http://www.burningman.com/ <<---I know you've looked it up but the dates are there.
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 03:49 PM   #8
Bus Geek

The man always burns on the saturday of labor day weekend. Everyone pretty much goes home by sunday or monday.

the official dates are : Aug 29-Sept 5, 2005
Old 06-21-2005, 04:35 PM   #9

Black Rock City is the Burner Metropolis created, and erased yearly. Tons of web info about BurningMan each has their own slant.... Read as much as you can, embrace the "Leave No Trace" philosophy. The 'No Spectator' slogan implies that you should be as much spectacle as spectator, so be prepared to have your skoolie decorated to the 9's. Add a DMV (Dept. of Mutant Vehicle) license to drive the playa (no dust) a night license would be truely awe inspiring. Idle 2-4 mph allowing people on and off SAFELY would be IDEAL. You may need crowd control. Train others to share the work/fun or driving will be a chore, that grounded the Pyramobilisk.
My best times ('99, '00, '02) were AWAY from camp, in the city, and it is hard to take much with you on foot or playa pounder (shitty bike). Ability to cruise in and out would be a dream for me. There are art installations over a mile away from Center camp, and being able to move from a noisy area, or to one will be worth the effort of getting there.Best of luck, bring sunscreen and plenty of water (piss clear). This can take much free time from January on, if you aren't careful.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:34 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
The 'No Spectator' slogan implies that you should be as much spectacle as spectator
I have a crazy costume or two planned for this year, including a fully encapusalating class A hazardous-material suit. I also submitted the paperwork (and there is a lot of it! many many hoops to jump through) to the DMV to register the bus as an art car a couple months back.

I plan to spend at least 1 or 2 days just wandering around and having zero contact with my bus. The bus is a great attraction. but last year i got so busy being a host that i didn't get nearly enough time to go off and expierenence the community. Sure we made trips into and around the playa, but not as many as i would have liked.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:00 PM   #11
Bus Geek

the time is drawing near!

i have two people that have confirmed that they are gonna ride. I'd like to finD one more, but it's not necessary. One of the passengers is coming in from the UK just so he can ride cross country on the bus. I'm so happy to see there are people in this world every bit as crazy as me.

I am taking cargo for about 8 people @ $50.00 each. That'll help offset the cost of fuel. Also, some other bus guy from michigan offered to caravan with me this year, so i think i'll take him up on his offer.

THE MAN BURNS IN 39 DAYS EEEEEEEK! where does time go?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:24 AM   #12

Coachwork: bmt
burningman

I really want to go..It's a blast, but do watch out for all the cops. They have really made a presence at Burning Man in recent years, so much so that a lot of the regular attendees are starting to complain. It never used to be like that.The cops used to leave it alone.