Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
Re: Campgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by buslover44
do campgrounds allow skoolies ? I heard some dont
Don't worry, most of the time you can find a government campground, in the area you want, and they can not refuse you. The only time they might turn you away is if they are totally booked.

So, if you want a particular area, make a resevation in a government campground and find a private campground that will allow skoolies. That way you're not hard pressed in finding a camp ground if you're turned away.

Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

My thoughts are if they allow tents in they are more willing to allow a converted bus or a converted van or what ever you may have. If they don't allow tent chances are they trying to be more upper class.

Every time I go out this year in the van instead of the bus I keep thinking $30+ A night just for electric and a shower isn't worth it and even $20 for no hook ups is just as bad if the sites are too close together and it prohibits the use of a generator because of the closeness. A few weeks ago in Baraboo WI I was at a spot for $20 for a night. I was able to run the generator all night because we were the only ones in the nightly area because we didn't care about the overhaul look because of a flood and were well far enough away from the seasonals that they couldn't hear anything. This was pretty good in my opinion as it was labor day weekend. All this said I feel I get a better bargain at the rest area and no one there ever turns us away although I do have to vacate the area everyday.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmah
My thoughts are if they allow tents in they are more willing to allow a converted bus or a converted van or what ever you may have. If they don't allow tent chances are they trying to be more upper class.

Every time I go out this year in the van instead of the bus I keep thinking $30+ A night just for electric and a shower isn't worth it and even $20 for no hook ups is just as bad if the sites are too close together and it prohibits the use of a generator because of the closeness. A few weeks ago in Baraboo WI I was at a spot for $20 for a night. I was able to run the generator all night because we were the only ones in the nightly area because we didn't care about the overhaul look because of a flood and were well far enough away from the seasonals that they couldn't hear anything. This was pretty good in my opinion as it was labor day weekend. All this said I feel I get a better bargain at the rest area and no one there ever turns us away although I do have to vacate the area everyday.
That's excellent; I never thought of looking for tents. I guess I'll start doing the same thing.

As far as rest stops; I've always feel uncomfortable parking at a rest stop (depending on the rest stop). You never know whats lurking in the woods. Myself, I'd rather stay at a truck stop (i.e. Flying J, Pilot, etc.) or Walmart, anywhere there is people and security.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

AS FAR AS WALLA WALLA COUNTY THARE IS ONLY ONE CAMPGROUND THAT MITE LET US SKOOLIES IN IT IS CALLED PIERE'S GREEN VALLEY RV AND CAMPGROUND 24676 WHWY 12 TCHT 509-394-2387 BUT NO SEPTIC BUT THE 10 YEAR THING MITE APLIE HERE IF IT DID WALLA WALLA COUNTY SNOBS DICKTATE THAY ARE TRING TO MAKE THIS A NUTHER NAPA VALLY WITH ALL THE WINE HERE

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #5

Quote:
As far as rest stops; I've always feel uncomfortable parking at a rest stop (depending on the rest stop). You never know whats lurking in the woods. Myself, I'd rather stay at a truck stop (i.e. Flying J, Pilot, etc.) or Walmart, anywhere there is people and security.
I've noticed in the last few years that alot of the rest stops along the interstates have nightly security guards patrolling the buildings and parking areas.
dabauer1701e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasting8

That is true you never know what is lurking in the woods. But at the same time in a campground you don't know what is lurking in those woods either. During summer travel months rest areas do seem to have a regular flow of traffic all night. And anyways unless I really have to go other than a leak I stay inside the vehicle all night unless in the bus cause I have everything in there.

I have tried walmart before but there is too much traffic sometimes and truck stops not much better when the air out side is around 75 and some truck driver who thinks it is too hot to sleep runs their truck all night.

My thoughts on campground or rest area for a nights sleep are,
Both places have their own type of nuts lurking the only difference is I didn't pay to see mine at the rest area.

I know I steered a little off subject but just figured I'd throw that out.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote