Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2020, 09:20 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
The e350 will be converted to 4*4 so I will just put the transfer case in neutral..
How do they prevent tractor trailer brakes from locking up.. I could run a vacuum pump to keep the booster operating.. Might even be possible to turn the electrical system for the ABS on. It makes it all more complicated. I would think that the brake pedal is designed to handle full braking without vacuum assist .

Any others who have experience in this.

Thanks Johan

joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:22 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
For locomotives let me clarify that I said multiple unit control. Thiere is also remote control. Two very different systems. Remote control is by radio just like amodel airplane. Multiple unit is a direct electrical connection between locomotives that are set up for it, and each unit copies the control movement for the lead locomotive operated by the engineer.

I do know there is,already a system available for rv to operate the "toad" brakes
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
For locomotives let me clarify that I said multiple unit control. Thiere is also remote control. Two very different systems. Remote control is by radio just like amodel airplane. Multiple unit is a direct electrical connection between locomotives that are set up for it, and each unit copies the control movement for the lead locomotive operated by the engineer.

I do know there is,already a system available for rv to operate the "toad" brakes
You are correct and thanks for clarifying. I just shorthanded my comment without getting too deliberate with nomenclature. To that end, I don't know of a road-based remote unit control in a similar manner as that used in locomotives. Remote braking perhaps but remote powertrain management, while no doubt technically possible, seems unlikely because there's no real purpose for it so no one's developed it.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:27 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
Yea, for most trailers I have hauled, the tongue weight is only supposed to be about 10% of the trailer weight. So pulling a 30,000lbs “trailer” would only have a tongue weight of 3,000lbs, properly loaded. Assuming you can get 60% of the weight to the front of the axels and 40% after

Since you are essentially towing a wagon (front axle on trailer) I don't think that tongue weight would be the issue, rather Combined Gross Vehicle Weight aka gross combination weight rating, or GCWR might be the deal killer. In these export situations, both buses are empty, so total GCWR might be acceptable, but then unacceptable if the front bus is loaded? One of the truckers here could probably answer this, I'm just speculating.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-...le%20/gcwr.htm
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:58 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Since you are essentially towing a wagon (front axle on trailer) I don't think that tongue weight would be the issue, rather Combined Gross Vehicle Weight aka gross combination weight rating, or GCWR might be the deal killer. In these export situations, both buses are empty, so total GCWR might be acceptable, but then unacceptable if the front bus is loaded? One of the truckers here could probably answer this, I'm just speculating.

There's this, and then there's rules and laws *Specifically* exempting "Driveaway-towaway" operations, which is what this is. Unless one specifically sets up a company just for this (at no small cost, I might add), then none of us here will qualify for these exemptions, even for personal use. The driveaway-towaway exemptions are intended for temporary, one-way-trip only usage, not long term, regular usage. Now if I bought 2 buses, and towed one home using the other together, either as a business venture or for my own personal usage, chances are no one would say a thing. But if I did this on a regular basis, with the same 2 buses, eventually at some point someone is likely to pull me over and look into it more thoroughly.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:07 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-...le%20/gcwr.htm
IF you do it in this manner which was how I envisioned this configuration then tongue weight isn't really a concern but the hitch rating is still critical. There may not be weight transferred onto the tow vehicle but there's still an enormous demand on the hitch as the trailing vehicle is pulled along and then bears down against the tow vehicle when braking. This will probably end up being a pintle hook design and not the ball hitch mount.

Others have had the idea of cutting and converting the towed vehicle into a fifth wheel in which case tongue weight or really just distributed weight becomes a factor regardless.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:20 AM   #27
Skoolie

I was messing around with a trailer idea in Paint one day, wondering how it might look to make a matching trailer for my bus. I have a couple buses near me that are just a few serial numbers from mine that I could pick up pretty reasonable. Thinking how nice it would be to have extra parts available for a 45 year old bus. These bodies are 102 inches wide so they would have lots of room inside.
Attached Thumbnails
bus trailer.jpg  
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #28
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84chevyguyid View Post
I was messing around with a trailer idea in Paint one day, wondering how it might look to make a matching trailer for my bus. I have a couple buses near me that are just a few serial numbers from mine that I could pick up pretty reasonable. Thinking how nice it would be to have extra parts available for a 45 year old bus. These bodies are 102 inches wide so they would have lots of room inside.
What a cute little drawing. Yea, a matching trailer would definitely make it worth it if possible. I have been struggling to figure out how to fit a secondary set of all critical parts and an engine rebuild kit on hand, and it has bee difficult to configure.
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:23 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84chevyguyid View Post
This is what I have on mind as a possibility for my shorty that does not have an engine. I would paint it to match the bus if I do it.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:06 AM   #30

Year: 2003
This should not be a problem as long as drivers comply with the rules. I have never seen restrictions on which vehicles can be transported and which cannot
LisaMcdowell8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:10 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMcdowell8 View Post
This should not be a problem as long as drivers comply with the rules. I have never seen restrictions on which vehicles can be transported and which cannot
You may have never seen them but there are plenty of rules and restrictions. We don't want to casually dismiss the existence of such rules and hope that ignorance of them is an adequate defense.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
"Can a bus" CB this one's for you
Old 03-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
"Can a bus" CB this one's for you
lol!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
What a cute little drawing. Yea, a matching trailer would definitely make it worth it if possible. I have been struggling to figure out how to fit a secondary set of all critical parts and an engine rebuild kit on hand, and it has bee difficult to configure.

Are you building a all mechanical, EMP proof, prepper bus?
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus, gooskneck, tow