Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #1

Year: 1959
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Engine: Cummins 220
Cross Country trip in our 1959 Crown Coach and 1974 Westy

My wife and I took a cross country trip in our 1959 Crown Coach School bus and our 1974 VW Westy. It was a great experience and has prompted us to plan more trips in the future for more adventures. This is the first part of our blog, to read more about our trip and see some great pictures goto
http://www.retrobusrental.blogspot.com/

This was our big trip of the summer and just a ton of fun. We had rented our orange bus out to a couple from the UK that literally zig zagged their way from Manhattan NY, where we dropped the bus off to them , across the U.S. ending in Seattle. We had already purchased our monster bus (which was located in Oregon), so when this rental came through we just decided to kill two birds with one stone and pull the little bus with the big bus back home. We flew into Seattle on the red eye and arrived at the @$$ crack of dawn. We ended up sitting by a really nice French man who works for microsoft and chatted with him the entire flight. That being said, in the morning I was pretty tired and in desperate need of a cup of coffee. The lady at the hotel was kind enough to point us to a coffee shop down the road, which I promptly headed off towards. As I came upon it I noticed that the name of the place was "Sexy Coffee." I thought it was a little weird for the name of a coffee shop but after rounding the corner and coming face to face (there was this huge drive up window, like bigger than ones body) with a cute little chick in nothing but a pair of loose fitting thongs, sunglasses, and a skimpy little bra hence the sexy coffee theme. It takes a lot to shock or surprise me and it is safe to say that I was definitely caught off guard! I am sure my mouth was hitting the ground. While I was trying to control my shock, and of course behave normally, she set about making my coffee and telling me all about what they call bikini coffee in Seattle. I guess the locals have grown used to it but I was having a hard time concentrating on my coffee order as she hustled about in broad daylight taking my order and chatting me up as if she were fully clothed. Of course I couldn't help but look (and all the while feeling like a dirty old... well.. woman) when she was busy and also noticed that a brisk wind could quite easily dislodge her tiny under things. After my coffee was done I paid and continued on to the famous pike street market. I must say, about the half naked lady, that I thought what she was doing was great. I was just caught completely off guard. I mean my in-laws live in Seattle and not once did they tell me about half naked ladies serving coffee. For males I guess it is a good way to want to get up and going in the morning.

RetroBusRental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:51 PM   #2

Year: 1958
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Hey! Sounds like a good start to a fun road trip. I have a 58 Crown. Just started renovating a few weeks ago. Right now I’ve got a starting issue. It seems like the relay with the low air pressure buzzer has shorted out and I’m not getting and power to the starter. I’m hoping to find more folks like you who know these beauties! Cheers and happy travels! I look forward to one of those coffees.
Captainhandstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:58 PM   #3

Year: 1958
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Hey! Sounds like a good start to a fun road trip. I have a 58 Crown. Just started renovating a few weeks ago. Right now I’ve got a starting issue. It seems like the relay with the low air pressure buzzer has shorted out and I’m not getting and power to the starter. I’m hoping to find more folks like you who know these beauties! Cheers and happy travels! I look forward to one of those coffees.
Captainhandstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:59 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainhandstand View Post

What engine do you have? A detroit diesel?
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:23 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainhandstand View Post
If you need help you should really try to explain in detail what you have in the Crown for an engine and drive train etc. In 1958 most all Crowns were built with Hall-Scott gas engines. Some few may have been custom ordered with a couple other brands of gas engines, but majority were the Hall Scott. One of the first Cummins 220 diesel installations may also have been a possibility too. If it was re-powered some time in it's life it could have either a Cummins or less likely a Detroit Diesel 6-71. Try to find out what it is and then ask your questions with details on how and what's failing.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote