Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Because your bus is still seated and is still painted National School Bus Chrome Yellow your options for any towing are going to be pretty slim pickings. I doubt Good Sam or AAA would touch your rig because it is still technically a commercial rig.

Since it is now May you won't be required by law to carry traction chains. I would still consider investing in a set as the weather has been beyond weird this year. And the fine if you get caught not using traction chains when the chain up sign goes up is about what you would have to pay for about 5 sets of tractions chains. Just because you are not required by law to carry them, if the sign says you have to put them on and you don't you will get stopped and you will get a ticket.

I would stay out of campgrounds with your still seated and yellow Crown. Staying the night in a rest stop, truck stop, or a Wal-Mart is probably a better choice.

If you need a shower most large truck stops have really nice and clean showers that are free with a fill up or relatively inexpensive if you just want to pay for one.

cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yup.

The most undesirable crown transmission is the spicer 5 speed. Still miles better than a 545!
The crown has an Allison Transmission is an MT 644 4-spd automatic anyone got feedback on that transmission?
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:30 AM   #23
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Because your bus is still seated and is still painted National School Bus Chrome Yellow your options for any towing are going to be pretty slim pickings. I doubt Good Sam or AAA would touch your rig because it is still technically a commercial rig.

Since it is now May you won't be required by law to carry traction chains. I would still consider investing in a set as the weather has been beyond weird this year. And the fine if you get caught not using traction chains when the chain up sign goes up is about what you would have to pay for about 5 sets of tractions chains. Just because you are not required by law to carry them, if the sign says you have to put them on and you don't you will get stopped and you will get a ticket.

I would stay out of campgrounds with your still seated and yellow Crown. Staying the night in a rest stop, truck stop, or a Wal-Mart is probably a better choice.

If you need a shower most large truck stops have really nice and clean showers that are free with a fill up or relatively inexpensive if you just want to pay for one.
Thanks for the advice yeah I'm thinking i40 will be our route. The bus does not have anymore seats they will be pulled out before the trip. Do these roadside services require proof of conversion? When tow truck comes is it to their discretion?
Old 05-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #24
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarnut View Post
Roadside Masters is the only one I found. Your insurance company "might", but you pay up front.
Would they require conversion?
Old 05-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Would they require conversion?
Because they don't want commercial vehicles using their service.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
The crown has an Allison Transmission is an MT 644 4-spd automatic anyone got feedback on that transmission?
Good tranny. Tough, lockup... no OD, but good and stout. I like em a lot.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #27
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Because they don't want commercial vehicles using their service.
So I thought commercial vehicle was only commercial vehicle if used for commercial reasons, anyways, is there any services that caters to "commercial vehicles" what if someone had a bus they operate as a commercial vehicle what service do they use for roadside and tow? Is there such a thing ?
Old 05-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Quote:
So I thought commercial vehicle was only commercial vehicle if used for commercial reasons, anyways, is there any services that caters to "commercial vehicles" what if someone had a bus they operate as a commercial vehicle what service do they use for roadside and tow? Is there such a thing ?

It is called "I hope I never have to call a tow truck" policy.

I owned a charter bus company for several years. As far as I know there are no insurance policies that will pay for towing of commercial vehicles.

As long as the bus is still painted National School Bus Chrome Yellow most tow truck operators are going to see bus, whether or not it has seats. They are not going to see motorhome, RV, or van even if you show them a title/registration that says something besides bus.

When tow truck operators work for an insurance company they have a contract to work for a flat fee which is usually a lot less than they charge the customers that are self pay.

One can't schedule where one breaks down. The trick is to do preventative maintenance and a good pre- and post-trip every time you move the bus in order to reduce the possibilities of any break downs.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
One can't schedule where one breaks down. The trick is to do preventative maintenance and a good pre- and post-trip every time you move the bus in order to reduce the possibilities of any break downs.
Not to hijack the thread, but you seem to know your way around these issues. Is there a checklist or a thread with pre/post-trip things to look for? We're getting ready to hit the road full time later this year and this info could be a lifesaver.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

There are all sorts of forms online you can use.

Basically you need to check everything that is required on a CDL pre-trip test.

Important things to check are fluid levels, belts, tires, wheels, suspension, steering components, etc.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Forms/DMV/6892.pdf
Old 05-02-2018, 05:44 PM   #31
Skoolie

Quote:
It is called "I hope I never have to call a tow truck" policy.

I owned a charter bus company for several years. As far as I know there are no insurance policies that will pay for towing of commercial vehicles.

As long as the bus is still painted National School Bus Chrome Yellow most tow truck operators are going to see bus, whether or not it has seats. They are not going to see motorhome, RV, or van even if you show them a title/registration that says something besides bus.

When tow truck operators work for an insurance company they have a contract to work for a flat fee which is usually a lot less than they charge the customers that are self pay.

So basically, I am screwed if I break down on the highway, there isn't not one service that would cover me or reimburse for part of the towing fee?
Old 05-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Quote:
So basically, I am screwed if I break down on the highway, there isn't not one service that would cover me or reimburse for part of the towing fee?
Probably not.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Call these guys and ask:

https://coach-net.com

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Bring $$$ for emergencies such as a flat, a tow, etc.
At least have a couple grand available if you need it. More the better.
A short tow can be several hundred bucks.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:02 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I needed to tow the AirStream 20' motor home 40 miles. If they could get it on the rollback it would have been $200. If they had to get the "Big Rig" tow truck it would have been $800, ouch. I ended up driving it the 40 miles without issue.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:15 PM   #36
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Call these guys and ask:

https://coach-net.com
What should and should I say..should tell them it's a bus and no seats, not converted..lol ?
Old 05-03-2018, 06:09 PM   #37
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I needed to tow the AirStream 20' motor home 40 miles. If they could get it on the rollback it would have been $200. If they had to get the "Big Rig" tow truck it would have been $800, ouch. I ended up driving it the 40 miles without issue.
Anyone got ideas on kinds of tools I should take with me along the trip.

Types of wrenches etc? I don't have much experience.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:18 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Depends on what you are comfortable doing. Me, I like a good hydraulic jack 20 ton capicity, 3/4 drive sockets, pipe to put over the breaker bar, tire spoons. Emergency break tool to release them if needed to move without air. 1/2" drive sockets, combo wrenchs, little stuff, and cordless drill
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:38 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
Anyone got ideas on kinds of tools I should take with me along the trip.

Types of wrenches etc? I don't have much experience.
Basic hand tools, extra fluids of every type, and a credit card with at least a few grand available. Cell phone, cooler full of water and lots of snacks.
Smoke if ya got em.

Oh- and a bluetooth speaker so you can have a playlist for the journey.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:24 PM   #40
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Basic hand tools, extra fluids of every type, and a credit card with at least a few grand available. Cell phone, cooler full of water and lots of snacks.
Smoke if ya got em.

Oh- and a bluetooth speaker so you can have a playlist for the journey.
haha bluetooth speaker sounds nice but I might just enjoy the sound of that Detroit Engine along the way!