Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Crown bus across country

Hi guys, I will be making a trip from Orange county California to Missouri on our new crown bus I plan on picking up this week. Obviously it won't be converted yet but I was wondering if there are any campgrounds or parks that would be okay with me parking overnight to sleep and hit the road the next morning. Obviously I know I could stop at a truck stop on the highway or Walmart but it would be great if we could stop one of those days and take a shower and relax a bit more than you would at a Walmart or truck stop. I plan on having a 400watt hour lithium battery for electric on our stops, for recharging phones, maybe running a small fan in the daytime if it gets hot etc. So I don't necessarily need electric or anything lol. Mainly would be cool to choose one of our 4 nights to rest up. We plan on either going through Vegas and Colorado or going the south route through Arizona and New Mexico.

Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:48 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
What Crown are you getting? One of Anaheim's? Are you a CCJ member?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:52 AM   #3

Year: 1985
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 855 (300 HP)
Rated Cap: 92 Passenger
If you're coming through Salt Lake, you are welcome to spend the night, charge and shower. I have a 1985 Crown transaxle supercoach.
takoisam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:07 AM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
What Crown are you getting? One of Anaheim's? Are you a CCJ member?

John
It's located in Riverside if I'm not mistaken. It's a 78 Crown. Automatic. What's a CCJ member?

I will have it insured through State farm commercial for private use policy. Would anyone have a service that would cover for part or all of a tow service in case I break down.

I heard AAA as one service that would. Anyone have any experience with them? The bus is in good condition with rebuilt engine among other things fixed and is trip ready according to seller and mechanic, I'm going to check her out and pick her up. Just worried it's a long trip and we'll you never know unexpected things can happen, flat tire, etc.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Hi guys, I will be making a trip from Orange county California to Missouri on our new crown bus I plan on picking up this week. Obviously it won't be converted yet but I was wondering if there are any campgrounds or parks that would be okay with me parking overnight to sleep and hit the road the next morning. Obviously I know I could stop at a truck stop on the highway or Walmart but it would be great if we could stop one of those days and take a shower and relax a bit more than you would at a Walmart or truck stop. I plan on having a 400watt hour lithium battery for electric on our stops, for recharging phones, maybe running a small fan in the daytime if it gets hot etc. So I don't necessarily need electric or anything lol. Mainly would be cool to choose one of our 4 nights to rest up. We plan on either going through Vegas and Colorado or going the south route through Arizona and New Mexico.
Take the southern route if you are going next week. 80 was closed for hours yesterday and there were tons of wrecks because it snows in the mountains! Snow in May is very common and it's not that unusual in June.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
It's located in Riverside if I'm not mistaken. It's a 78 Crown. Automatic. What's a CCJ member?

I will have it insured through State farm commercial for private use policy. Would anyone have a service that would cover for part or all of a tow service in case I break down.

I heard AAA as one service that would. Anyone have any experience with them? The bus is in good condition with rebuilt engine among other things fixed and is trip ready according to seller and mechanic, I'm going to check her out and pick her up. Just worried it's a long trip and we'll you never know unexpected things can happen, flat tire, etc.
Have you verified with State Farm that they will insure it that way. Around here the will definitely NOT insure as commercial for private use, they sent me to a competitor for that. But will insure it once it's converted to an RV/MH.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Definitely want to check with your insurance agent. Coverage options do vary by state.

We have commercial for personal use insurance through State Farm here in WA but as Marc pointed out, it may not be available in every state.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Definitely want to check with your insurance agent. Coverage options do vary by state.

We have commercial for personal use insurance through State Farm here in WA but as Marc pointed out, it may not be available in every state.
My wife works with a statefarm agency, she already got it showing liability and collision for 65 per month. Its a commercial policy for private use according to her. But I don't think it covers Towing. Anyone got any experience with a towing service for a 35 footer haha? AAA what do they ask for AAA does it need to be titled as RV? Right now its titled Automobile: Bus Body the GVWR is 35k lbs the dry weight is 21k lbs
Old 05-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Here is a recent discussion regarding roadside assistance : http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/goo...aaa-19668.html
Old 05-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
Take the southern route if you are going next week. 80 was closed for hours yesterday and there were tons of wrecks because it snows in the mountains! Snow in May is very common and it's not that unusual in June.
Thinking of taking 70 or 40? Suggestions?
Old 05-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Thinking of taking 70 or 40? Suggestions?
I-70 is a much nicer drive. Between Utah and Denver it's the best bit of Interstate in the country. However, it hits 11000 ft over Vail Pass and they still might be requiring chains. You'd have to check. Also, if you have an AT545 transmission, that's not the best place to be learning how to use it.

I-40 is safe, flat and a bit tedious.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:27 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
truck stops have showers. Free when you buy 50 gallons or more. Otherwise $12 or so per shower. My wife and I get one shower and share. The major brand truck stops are clean.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
I-70 is a much nicer drive. Between Utah and Denver it's the best bit of Interstate in the country. However, it hits 11000 ft over Vail Pass and they still might be requiring chains. You'd have to check. Also, if you have an AT545 transmission, that's not the best place to be learning how to use it.

I-40 is safe, flat and a bit tedious.
I agree.

I have driven both roads many times.

If I were making the trip this time of year in a "new to me" bus I would definitely take I-40
Old 05-01-2018, 10:35 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Also, if you have an AT545 transmission, that's not the best place to be learning how to use it.
No Crown ever made has used an AT545 transmission. Some use MTs and some use the big HTs, or 5- or 10-speed manuals, but definitely no pickup truck stuff! A mid-engine Crown is a very stable and safe vehicle when the roads get slippery.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:55 PM   #15
Skoolie

Check with AAA for each state you go through, they all vary. CA AAA will touch my bus but WA will NOT in any way, shape, or form, bus or RV (found out the hard way). I have Roadside Masters as it's still a bus and no one else would touch it. They will NOT do residential so don't have issues in a residential driveway, fare warning (I found out the hard way). Good luck and if you come through Spokane on your way home PM me and I'll show you my Crown RV and short bus 4X4.
1940s 'Binder 7 window, man cave
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:10 PM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
No Crown ever made has used an AT545 transmission. Some use MTs and some use the big HTs, or 5- or 10-speed manuals, but definitely no pickup truck stuff! A mid-engine Crown is a very stable and safe vehicle when the roads get slippery.

John
The bus has a 6-71 rebuilt Detroit engine and an Allison Transmission is an MT 644 4-spd automatic. Do you guys still recommend taking 40? 70 sounds like a much more fun trip but if it's a little on the riskier side maybe not. It does have a Jake break installed from what seller told me.

What roadside service should I look for it does not have RV title it's a Bus.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:31 PM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Roadside Masters is the only one I found. Your insurance company "might", but you pay up front.
1940s 'Binder 7 window, man cave
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:36 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Unless you are very comfortable driving on snow/ice and the tires on the bus are good and you have chains and know how to put them on, I would take 40 this time. In theory Good Sam will do a bus for roadside but they want it converted.
Quote:
The bus has a 6-71 rebuilt Detroit engine and an Allison Transmission is an MT 644 4-spd automatic. Do you guys still recommend taking 40? 70 sounds like a much more fun trip but if it's a little on the riskier side maybe not. It does have a Jake break installed from what seller told me.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:58 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
the only risk I see is snow, and this is a maybe. I have done it in the snow, however I would hate to get road salt on the bus first time out. How time critical are you? if there is snow on the high passes, can wait it out a few days? Start watching the local weather forcast, and road conditions at the pass. This gives you info to base a decision on.

Route 40 is not likely to have snow, however high winds are a factor at times. I have seen regular rv's rolled over from the wind on 40. Your bus should not be a problem.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:07 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

John
Yup.

The most undesirable crown transmission is the spicer 5 speed. Still miles better than a 545!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote