Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
CROWNING AROUND......SHOTS FROM LAST MONTH

Just thought I'd flip out a few photo's I took last month in my 85 Crown: From Mt. Hood National Forest.....Lost Lake, Clear Lake, onto Madras Oregon, stranded for a couple days, brake relay valve, and then completely trouble free down the Pacific Coast Kayaking...........pretty sparse in terms of Creature comforts, but Crown had all filters fluids replaced including air filter, had all fluids, engine, transmission, transaxle ........replaced, thorough powerwash, and cleaning from the Engine, to the Interior, hatches and trunk, all seats removed, carpet install, just to give some insulation better surface than the floor, 6000 watt 10000 Peak 27 Amp Inverter, install of Freezer, not fridge, and of course Tunes...........Pretty spartan bus all these changes took place in Less than a Week.

Crown was the Filthiest bus I ever purchased........Just degreasing, and cleaning this bus was quite the task: It had 1 half inch of red dirt in the rain gutters, the trunk had 2 inches of a mud flat in it: When I changed out the air filter, about a 35lb giant block with literally 64 separate cone filters: I pulled it out, dropped it to the sidewalk, and there were 64 perfectly formed 3 inch tall cone shaped dirt mounds..........pulled the interior panels over the engine and trans.......just incredible, engine was under a sand dune.........That said, once cleaned and it's modest set up in place that Big Cam Cummins Turbo in Line Six that weighs as much as 4 5.9L Cummins combined simply never complained. 80 mph at 2300 RPM......governed speed...........Enjoy the shots......Moki
Attached Thumbnails
WP_000056.jpg   DSC00792.JPG   hoodtrip3.jpg  

Old 11-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: CROWNING AROUND......SHOTS FROM LAST MONTH

you dont get any crap for the paint color?

maybe due to the "old skool" body lines?

still nice pics....except a kayak at moonscape lost lake"> in middle of the desert
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Nice but boy, that must be loud in there going down the road?
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
Bus Nut

]The "desert" photograph is taken Lakeside at Clear Lake Mt Hood National Forest. Didn't do any Deserts. Crown runs extremely quiet, conversation at normal voice levels easily. Zero rattles, no clatter of glass, zero squeaks........Quiet, Quiet Quiet.......Light years quieter than a Bluebird puller with a 5.9 Far quieter and better handling, brakes better, tracks better, is more fuel efficient .........Just one of the finest Coaches ever produced bar none......... So I'll close with some more photo's from my "desert" shoot and wish you a nice day.........Moki.
Attached Thumbnails
hoodtrip13.jpg   hoodtrip4.jpg   DSC00837.JPG  
Old 03-16-2015, 11:00 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
Nice bus.

Man I like the look of those Crowns. They are beautiful!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:37 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Can you or another Crown owner post some engine pics?
I did a search and came up empty. Never actually seen how its laid out in there.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Your wish is my command.................I'll post photo's of the Cummins and as well the lay out of the 671..........you will also find "engine" photo's on my FB page CROWNING AROUND................It amazes me that people have some notion that these Crowns are loud...........part of the beauty is that they are not: With the "house" build inside my HP Intercity Crown you seriously can't hear the engine running at all...................from the interior.

First three should be shots of a Cummins big Cam.........last a photo of the 671TA...........all amidship...........Cummins weighs in at about 2500 lbs, put that up against your 5.9...........and the Detroit weighs in around a 2200 lbs..........just to lend some perspective. All in line 6 are not created equal
Attached Thumbnails
hpcrown23.JPG   turbocummins..........JPG   DSC00264.JPG   WP_20150226_17_50_26_Pro.jpg  
Old 03-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Dang it all the Crown propaganda may be doing its job on me...
I'm wanting one of those more every day.
Shhhhhh don't tell my bus I'd ever think of cheating on it with another.
Thanks for posting the pics. Will check out the FB when the little lady gets home.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #9
Bus Nut

No propaganda my Man.............you can scour the web high and low........with regard this one build....... Crown Coach and will find it difficult to find anyone without affection for them..............a well deserved affection.

There's a significant difference seeing photos and hearing testimonials: And actually being in front of one and waling round and through one and putting thousands of miles on one in all kinds of weather terrain: The build and the quality are tough to beat................just locomotives running on rubber..........
Old 03-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Crown Curious

Hey-hi,

Mokibrabrant, so you also agree that the Crown is bus quality all the way around--eh?

What other types of bus would you consider if you were in the market and why?

Anyone is welcome to chime in, in fact, I invite it please and thank you.

I have already checked out Nat's and EastCoastCB, or Charlie. Cool stuff! Nat, your pic's are great for visual learners like us.

I am attempting to discover the best bus type for our plans; course, as you were all where we are, you get it--thanks.

Anndru & Chuck
Chuck Galyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Honey Badger RV Co
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 74
How much floor to ceiling room is in a crown ?
wauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #12
Bus Nut

As far as I'm concerned what is best is as individual a neurons that compile the imagining and desire that leads anyone to this path.

For me my desires are pretty simple: A place to retreat to unfettered and uncluttered form the elements: And a vehicle with a drive drain to perform one simple function: get me from point A to point B as expeditiously and comfortably as possible with a touch of economy and safety as well as reliability.

My first buses were school buses. My first Highway Coach was a Western Flyer. From there I never I knew that ultimately that would be the end game for me.............Highway Coaches: Heavy Duty Engines and highway geared rear axles: Quiet efficient cruising. Pushers, Forward Control............and mid engined. Well the midengined became the Choice.

I am not a size Freak: I would prefer 30FT with basement space and have settled for 35. I lean toward the Crown because it is a proven vehicle that performs quite admirably at highways speeds and also provides the ground clearance that is the wonderful aspect of a school bus. One is not so limited as to where you can and cannot go. As reflected where I am parked in some of the photos that began this thread. As well i don't have to get them up off the ground to diagnose any issue that arises. I can slide right on beneath.

I'm a fool for performance. Part of what gets me off is not solely where these machines can take me; But the sheer enjoyment I get from the drive itself. I love sitting at the helm of these machines that's fun for me. The dynamo Hum of a giant in line below the floor boards.

If you want a mansion on wheels no School bus is the perfect fit. Not even the Crown. Mansions are relegated to the MCI, Prevost, Eagle genre.

Crown gets it done for me: I can have and the space allows for all I require.
I also have always liked the MCI, the look, the quality, the stainless and of course they are Highway buses with basement Space with an established reputation for durability. But a 40 ft. Behemoth with a Tag Axle and tremendous basement space is not going to be the most nimble of creatures, and again you are dealing with a very restricted clearance problem. They ride quite low to the grand, and their length will steal pleasure, at least for me, and curb my desire to see a road and take it with out to much thought as to "will I be able to turn around anywhere down there".............that can be experienced with a shorter bus as well............

But I do own a MC 5 (c) and 80 at 35 feet. Two axle. With ample basement space. I don't have time under my belt in this Coach. That will come in May.
I bought this one because it was 1 of two made that came from the factory with the Detroit 6V92.......I've avoided the 8V71 because of its atrocious fuel economy and i avoided the 6V71 as it was considered a dog of an engine........so I'm very patient as to what I gather for myself. If I see a nice bus that I understand the workings of I'll buy it because I can make a little money and pass a good solid bus along to someone else. But all my trading has been aimed at one day having one, maybe two Coaches, that speak to me. That fulfill what my neurons have executed in the imagery of my thinking: That's not the game. But the practice. The game is unfettered time and the substance to enjoy them 24/7: With a new address at the turn of the key..............My story.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Floor to center height does differ...............The Modern Crown LOL..........say from 68 forward as a guess..................78 inches.........I'm 6.3 I walk through without having to bend down or hunch over..............
Old 03-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Hey-hi,

Do Crown's mostly come with back door emergency exit's?

Our plans involve a roof lift. I prefer not, but in order to offer the girls a space for their needs, and a family craft/office room...
I have not come up, yet, with anything else, design wise. If a roof lift is necessary, I may not wish a Crown.

Thanks for explaining the reasons why you like a Crown, it gives me a little perspective.

Anndru & Chuck
Old 03-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #15
Bus Nut

For a roof raise on a Crown take a look here:
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/se...illi-8798.html
He is doing great work with his Crown!
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:28 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Also there are two emergency exits on a Crown. One Driver side rear a couple windows forward. The exit at the rear is a bath that merely lifts those two rear windows up. Below that is one huge expansive trunk. Which serves two Purposes Obviously storage but as well it provides a crumple zone for safety. Also part of the Crown Legend. They superceded NTSB requirements BEFORE there was a National transportation Safety Board.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:19 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Hey-hi,

Thanks Malkieri for the link! He is doing a good job from what I saw and read. It's a bit of a piece to follow so haven't run into comments and pic's of how the front was put back together yet. It will be neat, I'm sure!

I've got lots of ideas forming and coming quickly into perspective. I like the pull-out pantries and pull-out lower cabinet ideas. Space savers and awesome storage/organization if planned and put together correctly.

I realized that I really want to raise the roof due to the fact I'd like to create a layered bunk/teeny-tiny room for each girl. I can see it in my mind, and it looks great! Reality is to be flexible and comprise--eh!??

Mokibrabrant,

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a Crown is best worked with as it is so that its quality and built-in safety isn't compromised. Or, since we have time, we could study like crazy and become pretty solid with our plans...

Hum?? If one truly insists on raising the roof, does anyone have a bus suggestion that may be a better consideration? Chuck definitely wants a cab-over.

Would anyone out there raise their roof no higher than two feet? Are overpasses, concerning the states, commonly set at 13'.9"?

Would anyone ever consider cutting the roof out and creating a raise that way? I guess if one was interested in that approach, one may find it done more efficiently through a body shop...

Hum; food-for-thought...

Anndru & Chuch
Old 03-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Galyean View Post

Would anyone out there raise their roof no higher than two feet? Are overpasses, concerning the states, commonly set at 13'.9"?

Would anyone ever consider cutting the roof out and creating a raise that way? I guess if one was interested in that approach, one may find it done more efficiently through a body shop...
Anndru & Chuch
Most buses with a 2 ft roof raise end up around 11' 6 inches tall.

I'm raising my entire coachwork another foot to gain basement storage. My bus will be at 12' 6 inches tall.

Anything under 13 feet should be safe as long as you watch for low bridges.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Moki, any more travel pics? Fun to see. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Jack.............that's what it's all about isn't it.............all this talking doesn't get it done: I have lots of travel Pics but my next "trip" won't be until end of May..........and will begin with flying into Vegas picking up the HP and heading to buses Gone Wild in Phelan CA...........then to the Coast and Cruise to Oregon.....I'll post some shots not seen before and you can always go to my FB page and CROWNING AROUND ............MOKI.