Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #81
Mini-Skoolie

I am going to try to make the trip as well. As long as a good turnout is expected and my skoolie is far enough along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KashMoore31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #82
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
I'm hoping to make this as well, it's about an 1800 mile round trip for me if I stay put and decide not to winter somewhere farther south....
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #83
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Kashmore and Alleycat-
I'd love to meet yall.
Once we get closer to feb and get a rough tally, I'll figure out how much exotic meat to buy for this big ole pot of chili we'll make. May have to make two as we typically throw a fresh ghost chile in ours!

Superdave and I are going over ideas and planning the roof raise. I'm going back over everything I can find related to the topic. I was going to do a partial raise with a transition area or two, but now I'm going to consider doing the WHOLE roof. Like the famous Millicent! The one thing that does make me nervous is the front windshield section... But I'm sure we could get that figured out.
Maybe I should start a thread, but I REALLY HESITATE to start another thread about damned roof raises!!

Maybe a few of you who show up could give me a hand or some insight into some mechanical stuff. Like my throttle linkage and injection pump.

We are probably going to suck it up and order a bunch of rv windows brand new for xmas. That way we can have em on hand when doing the raise/skinning.

I've also NEVER really used rivets much, so I'm a bit unsure about exactly what size to order. May have to start a thread for that.
This is that point where I really am needing the collective mind, and I'm sure glad as hell that this community is so cool and helpful. You guys/gals are all awesome, and friends in my book!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #84
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Bring it down and we'll de-rivet it!

You don't know how good that sounds!!!!
Freezing cold Temps here and working alone, grinding away at those damn things and then trying to bang them off....all...day...long... sometimes, or at least every chance I get after work if I'm not too tired.
I'm thinking of hiring a couple guys to finish it for me. I only have 1-1/2 done out of the 6 panels I want to remove.....
I sent my title off to VT to be retitled and registered... waiting to get that back.... then I'm going to get it insured....after that's all taken care of I'll be able to get behind the wheel!!! then I can go anywhere i want
I'm thinking I better get going on painting it too....
tobeamiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #85
Bus Nut

I'm not gonna worry *too* much on painting just yet, other than blacking out the school bus lettering at the top front and rear. All the other lettering was off when I got it.... actually removed, not just painted over, so you can still see ghost impressions that read "VALPARAISO COMMUNITY SCHOOLS" down the sides along with the number 15... but you have to be looking at it just right to see that.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #86
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
You don't know how good that sounds!!!!
Freezing cold Temps here and working alone, grinding away at those damn things and then trying to bang them off....all...day...long... sometimes, or at least every chance I get after work if I'm not too tired.
I'm thinking of hiring a couple guys to finish it for me. I only have 1-1/2 done out of the 6 panels I want to remove.....
I sent my title off to VT to be retitled and registered... waiting to get that back.... then I'm going to get it insured....after that's all taken care of I'll be able to get behind the wheel!!! then I can go anywhere i want
I'm thinking I better get going on painting it too....
I've been meaning to make a de-rivet vid but haven't had a way to. No camera.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #87
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
hey!! not all exotic meat.. some of us are PLAIN JANE when it comes to our Food.. (and our conversions... ie I still have seats in bith my busses lolol)..

what I did to learn riveting was went out nd bought a couple different rivet tools and some different size rivets..

then i played with riveting various pieces of metal together and learned what looked like what and what I felt had the best holding power.. as well as the best way / angle to hold the tool to get a good install..

they are from harbor freight and seem like the tool itself is large and a bit tough to get into tight places.. but I figured most riveting is done in open space..

I think mine are 1/4" and 3/16" well worth having the air tool vs a manual pop rivet tool i used that belonged to a friend.. for a couple rivets the manual tool was fine but if you are goingti skin a bus tou want something power assist!

of course thats as far as i got.. ive only used the 1/4" tool a couple times since then to do a rivet or 2.. I decided i wasnt going to remove windows on the bus as I liked them too much..(love lots of light) and if I take the ceiling down it is all screws so I wouldnt be riveting it back up..

maybe we should start a Tool collective for people who live in a certain geographic areas.. a way to share tools? I have lots of stuff thats likely to sit in a tool chest in the garage more than it is used.. or I bought it to use for a single project and there it is..

im certainly willing to share tools that I rarely use or dont need for awhile.. esp if it was easy to get to them when i did need them..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #88
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
I've been meaning to make a de-rivet vid but haven't had a way to. No camera.
I have a GoPro4 and a GoPro5 I never use the 4 anymore.. or i should say rarely use it.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #89
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
hey!! not all exotic meat.. some of us are PLAIN JANE when it comes to our Food.. (and our conversions... ie I still have seats in bith my busses lolol)..

what I did to learn riveting was went out nd bought a couple different rivet tools and some different size rivets..

then i played with riveting various pieces of metal together and learned what looked like what and what I felt had the best holding power.. as well as the best way / angle to hold the tool to get a good install..

they are from harbor freight and seem like the tool itself is large and a bit tough to get into tight places.. but I figured most riveting is done in open space..

I think mine are 1/4" and 3/16" well worth having the air tool vs a manual pop rivet tool i used that belonged to a friend.. for a couple rivets the manual tool was fine but if you are goingti skin a bus tou want something power assist!

of course thats as far as i got.. ive only used the 1/4" tool a couple times since then to do a rivet or 2.. I decided i wasnt going to remove windows on the bus as I liked them too much..(love lots of light) and if I take the ceiling down it is all screws so I wouldnt be riveting it back up..

maybe we should start a Tool collective for people who live in a certain geographic areas.. a way to share tools? I have lots of stuff thats likely to sit in a tool chest in the garage more than it is used.. or I bought it to use for a single project and there it is..

im certainly willing to share tools that I rarely use or dont need for awhile.. esp if it was easy to get to them when i did need them..
-Christopher
Sounds like a great idea. I've been loaning out tools to a couple folks on here. Tried to give a lady a dremel and she got weird about it for some reason.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #90
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I have a GoPro4 and a GoPro5 I never use the 4 anymore.. or i should say rarely use it.

-Christopher
Awesome, I'd certainly love to use one for a weekend or two.

I'll make you something common and un-exciting, don't worry! I'm thinking some camel or venison for the rest of us!

Keeping my fingers crossed- I've asked santa for a gopro for three years running now! Crazy story- some guy actually stole my credit info and identity and bought himself a new goppro 4 a couple years ago... and for Xmas no less!
Old 12-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #91
Bus Geek

I've got a HF large rivet gun. I just need to figure out what size "grip" or whatever that I'll need for going through one panel of 14ga and one panel of 18ga. Probably with a bit of sealant between, too... idk. So much to think about even though its all I've thought about for so long!
Old 12-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #92
Bus Nut

Venison would go down good for me..... have never had camel but would certainly be willing to try it.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #93
Bus Geek

Camel is very well marbled and has a great, mild flavor.
My favorite ground chili meat so far has been kangaroo. That was delicious! Even made some tacos with it. I wish it were more abundant and more affordable.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #94
Bus Nut

Yea I was on an exotic meat website and I saw what some of them sell for.... yikes. Kangaroo was right near the top of the price range, for sure. Don't think it was right at the top but was in the top 5.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #95
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Roo

Yum... I have an awesome recipe for roo on my blog https://flamidwyfe.com/2013/02/13/th...n-my-crockpot/

I lived in the Middle East for 3 years (Abu Dhabi) and had camel a few times, it is well marbled and has a mild taste. Camel milk is yummy as well!

Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #96
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Keeping my fingers crossed- I've asked santa for a gopro for three years running now! Crazy story- some guy actually stole my credit info and identity and bought himself a new goppro 4 a couple years ago... and for Xmas no less!
hahaha! If that don't beat all!! Maybe you'll get one this year...oooooh, tomorrow!!!

and yeah, me too.....I'm starting to gather tools that I'm sure I'll never need to use again...
tobeamiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #97

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Wayne
Engine: DT466
Doh! Of all the weekends available between now and summer, Feb 10 is the ONLY date that I have something that cannot be rescheduled. Murphy's law. I really wanted to be a part of this roof raising. I will watch this thread closely in the event it gets pushed back a week or two, although it seems like the ball is rolling pretty well for that weekend. I can almost smell the chili. I do hope you all have a blast (albeit a productive one!) I hope to meet you all another time.
Lizbitz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #98
Bus Geek

NO biggie, just an informal sort of weekend meet n greet.
Any time you wanna come out for some chili shoot me a pm.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #99

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Wayne
Engine: DT466
Charlie, we definitely will do that! By the looks of the shirt CB is wearing in your picture, I think we will have more in common than just talking skoolies.
Lizbitz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #100
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMan321 View Post
I'd be very interested in coming to a meetup, especially BEFORE I buy a bus. I'm still at the "overwhelmed information overload stage" and seeing in person would be much better than youtube videos. I'm by Cocoa Beach so not very far away. I know the wife would love to see some conversions in person.

We have made the decision to do a conversion and live in it full time.
Rocketman - you can throw a blow up mattress on my floor (if I don't have the couch built in yet, if so you can sleep on that!).

Sandi

If my IKEA kitchen isn't completed, I'm going to bring it with me and bat my eyes to get help
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote