Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #121
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
Not in a hurry necessarily. I drove it 60-65 from VA to FL in October. I guess my biggest concern was tying up traffic when an 18 wheeler is set at 63 and I'm at 65 and it takes 3 minutes to pass. The people behind you get a tad buttholish

Maybe instead I need to take a deep breath and take it down a couple mph and not worry so much about it.

Sandi
You SHOWOFF!
Passing power??? Meh, I passed one car from KY to FL. He was going maybe 40 in a 70. I was maxed out at 62. You're lucky you can do 65!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #122
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
programmer? You know I have a DT466....what would you do with that?

for the DT-466E's you can enable the cruise functions. change tire sizes, watch the systems, diagnose codes, do injector tests, etc... same as you can with a T-444E...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #123
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You SHOWOFF!
Passing power??? Meh, I passed one car from KY to FL. He was going maybe 40 in a 70. I was maxed out at 62. You're lucky you can do 65!

my little DT360 will do 65 on flat ground but not uphill... LOL I run out of gears and RPM at 68...

Redbyrd.. that thing goes well over 70, ..

I just dont like driving busses that fast... redbyrd is OK at 65 but DEV is most comfortable 55-60.. it cruises and gets great MPG there...

theres a big difference between what a Bus CAN do and what a bus SHOULD and is happy doing..

-Christopher
Old 01-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #124
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
I'm with Chris. I see too many folks upping the power, gearing and speed on rigs that were never intended to cruise at 70-75. And they usually do it with no thought or regard for how they intend to stop 30,000+ pounds of iron short of a mile or so.

If my little rig can cruise at 60-65 I will be thrilled. But...it will come in about 8,000 and now has four wheel disk brakes with massive stoppers on the front.

Just my dos centavos.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #125
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
The weekend of Feb 10th.
Sure bring some FOOD!!
I can't eat anything with gluten, but everyone else can!
Those Vietnamese eggrolls you mentioned to me in a past conversation sound exciting!

I'm just hoping we don't have any rain. I want it to be a bit chilly so we can have a HUGE fire, too.
I'm gonna buy a keg, probably Yuengling or some other decent beer. Not that I can drink any, but the landlord will probably put away half a keg himself.
I've got a bottle of 12 year aged Irish Whiskey I may finish off.

Brokedowns GF here, Big fan of kegs and the hard stuff! Had no idea we could bring adult beverages, thought it was going to be at a park. I shall bring some delicious adult beverages that you can drink! I can make a mean meat/cheese/veggie plate to contribute. Not sure if I will have the ability to cook by then but we will contribute. Also Cat, we have one, she is a major butthole, everyone will love her. We have a kick ass bubble backpack for her. Also a harness and leash.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:14 PM   #126
Bus Geek

Nah no park- its in my friend's cow pasture. About twenty acres. At least ten acres or so that can be used for whatever we wanna do for the weekend.
The only "rules" would be to be NICE and respect everyone else. And be super nice and respectful to the guy who's property we'll be on. He's a good friend of mine, and its always nice having a big place a friend will let ya use!
Bring any sort of beverages or herbal refreshments one desires. Sharing encouraged but not required.

Folks with animals- your pets are totally welcome. But be forewarned that due to several factors you will wanna keep an eye on them. Especially after dark. Coyotes, bobcats, POSSIBLY even a panther are regular predators out in this area. Even more so now that the 429 has been extended to the area. Lots of wildlife refuge type land was sacrificed.
My friend John who owns and lives on the property has yet to keep a chicken or cat for more than a couple weeks. Eagles and hawks are also regularly seen.
That said there are three dogs on the premises who wander around without leashes or any sort of boudaries and they are fine, other than the one missing a leg from not being scared enough of cars!
As long as no ones dog or dogs go chasing the cows next door everything will be fine.

Not much available for electricity. A couple 110 outlets- one spoken for. Water available from the well.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #127
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
You SHOWOFF!
LOL... I had them set it like that (thank GOD, because I would have hated driving at 48!!!). I passed several rigs. Weird being up as high as they are.

I also found it a lot of fun to fill up at the truck side of the truck stops

Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #128
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
for the DT-466E's you can enable the cruise functions. change tire sizes, watch the systems, diagnose codes, do injector tests, etc... same as you can with a T-444E...
-Christopher
nice! I had no idea all of that could be controlled/adjusted by computer. I have cruise control buttons on the dash, and that would be a great feature to have....well everything else for that matter!
It's too bad that the "gathering" was moved up to Feb because I'm no where ready to hit the road. When I do it'll be a permanent thing so I have alot of loose ends to tidy up....add to that, I'd like to at least have my plumbing and electric up and running I sure had no idea it was going to take me this long to get things done. I really really really wanted to see/help in the roof raising!!!
keeping my fingers crossed....I'm waiting to hear back from VT for my new title and registration....at which point I can insure it and make it moveable from where it is now (behind the house that I'm renting)....heaven forbid the landlord finds out and says that I have to move it....!!!
tobeamiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #129
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post

I also found it a lot of fun to fill up at the truck side of the truck stops

Sandi
funny you say that...that's all I think about when I pass truck stops hehe
I can't wait for that day.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #130
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
can we get a weather report from the camp site, its 24* here with snow falling and the wind blowing. 35 and a wakeup giddy up
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #131
Bus Geek

I just drove the DEV RANDOM bus from st pete to Columbus ohio.. it was 77 when I left st pete and its 6f here!!! I was freezing in the bus with ALL the heaters on high... it was an Ohio bus originally and barely kept me warm with both defrosters on, my new driver dash heat, the rear heat, and the door heat!!

the engine temp was 190 and the air-shutters were closed except when I was going up the hills they would open....

so i get up here.. and my RedByrd has sat for close to 2 weeks, its T-444E kicked right over with being 6 outside.. its a Texas bus.. and it only has 3 heaters and after 30 minutes im sweating and have the driver window open..

moral of the story is I guess BlueBird Builds a better insulated bus than Carpenter!!
-Christopher
Old 01-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #132
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
That's just what I needed to hear Cadillackid. I'm insulating now. 35 degrees here in the Houston area. Think it's supposed to get down to 28 Saturday. Perfect bus working weather........... as long as you are inside !!!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #133
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
can we get a weather report from the camp site, its 24* here with snow falling and the wind blowing. 35 and a wakeup giddy up
Current readings-
70 and partly cloudy. Been hitting near summer temps on and off last couple weeks. Lows in the 50's lately.
Just don't bring that cold weather down with ya!
Old 01-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #134
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
That's just what I needed to hear Cadillackid. I'm insulating now. 35 degrees here in the Houston area. Think it's supposed to get down to 28 Saturday. Perfect bus working weather........... as long as you are inside !!!
LOL oh I see you have a carpenter too.. yeah sure glad you are insulating as my carpenter is not..

I just added it uo and if all my heaters are functioning as they are designed.. which 2 of them are Brand new and the other 2 I refurbished by tearing them to pieces, cleanign the coils and replacing the motors.. i should be blowing out 140,000 BTU of heat... no wonder the engine temp drops to 120 real fast when I park the bus at idle....

the bluebird is factory-only insulation and appears to have 120,000 BTU of heaters in it and I roast to the point of running with the driver window open.. so i can imagine that putting in real aftermarket insulation will make your bus nice N warm in winter and cooler in summer..

-Christopher
Old 01-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #135
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Current readings-
70 and partly cloudy. Been hitting near summer temps on and off last couple weeks. Lows in the 50's lately.
Just don't bring that cold weather down with ya!
Although we have a cold front coming through tomorrow night and even down here in so. Florida it's going to be in the 40's... I'm not insulated

Thank God for 2 dogs, a fat cat and the portable heater!

Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:12 PM   #136
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Crazy here in Houston too. 27 degrees tonight & tomorrow. Then...back into the frikkin 80's by Wednesday! Fine by me...I'll take the heat any day!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:08 AM   #137
Bus Nut

thankfully we got past the single digits here in NY a couple of days ago! But oh yeah....I was out in my bus working! I run a propane heater until it warms up nice and toasty and then shut it off and get to work

We're to get in the 40's today!!! wooohooo!!!
Old 01-11-2017, 07:10 AM   #138
Bus Geek

we've only dipped into the high 30's a couple nights.
For the most part its still shorts and Birkenstocks here. Hope it stays like this till this roof raise and chili eatin is done.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #139
Bus Nut

Quote:
we've only dipped into the high 30's a couple nights.
For the most part its still shorts and Birkenstocks here. Hope it stays like this till this roof raise and chili eatin is done.
Where's the "like" button
Old 01-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #140
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I'm just glad the cold spell has passed for now.