Old 02-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
There are lots of things like that which need to be figured out.
I'm lucky. I have a friend with a ton of property.
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:33 AM   #32
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna1969 View Post
I feel we're in the same boat too. Taxes going up in the city we live in now. Just too expensive to keep a real house anymore. We just want to throw in the towel with house living at least for a few years. We need to stay local and keep our jobs but converting a bus to live in with our 2 young children, seems hard to fathom considering where would we keep the bus to work on it and keep it parked to live out of when we're not camping or travelling?
first thing to do is forget about the city. you have to smother the herding instinct and reconsider "material".
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Our city is more of a "big town" and we are surrounded by Amish farmland and we haven't lived in it very long. The only glitch I can foresee is where to work on it and once we're in, where do we reside. I'm just hoping I can get more direction from real people on here than just reading up on stories. Stories leave out a lot of the dirty work
jenna1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Not to be at all negative, but I think you're asking the million dollar question.
Lots of recently converted and partially converted buses I see for sale make me wonder if some don't realize all the legwork required to up and live in a bus.
I think you're extremely prudent to be figuring all this out now.
Trailer/RV parks are the first thing that comes to mind.
Buying your own lot in a place where zoning and all will allow it is another.
I'm lucky that my bus will fit in my yard, so once its done I'll be parking it here for a bit. Eventually I want to rent out my house and buy a few acres out west.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Our solutions may not be the right fit for others but let see what we come up with. My wife and I have a lot of land on Prince Edward Island. We don't want to build on it and destroy the environment so we plan to visit when we can and stay in our bus there and around the area. We also talk of buying some land (acreage) in FL somewhere affordable where we can park a shipping container with a screened porch attached. That will be a place to stay in the winter months and store our "southern clothes" while away. All this will come about when we sell our house and the bus should be ready to live in at that time.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:40 AM   #36
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47
Full timing

Have you considered getting your feet wet with a cheap motorhome or camper? I would consider spending 4-5k on a older motorhome, or pickup and camper, that has depreciated out, try it for a year or two. Spending 5500-8k on a box truck that won't be worth much in the end doesn't sound good to me. The motorhome or camper will still be worth about what you paid for it. The box truck doesn't offer much over a motorhome, only costing much more in time and money and will be in worse condition.

If you get into this for only a few thousand dollars, buying something you can actually sell if you change your mind, it may take some pressure off the decision.

Some of the worst ideas I have had, gave me the most pleasure. I came to realize my family do not see the world as I do, and tend to give advice that serves their perspective, knowing mine is different.
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:53 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Not bad advice at all.
Reminds me of what I tell some "tiny house" people.
I tell em to buy a shed, stick it in their back yard and live in it a year before blowing 60k on a rolling trailer based shed.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #38
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Try playing the game "Redneck Life" Then, if you still want to live in a bus, go for it and to hell with anyone's opinion! My family played it last week. My daughter-in-law said,"Hey you are an authentic Redneck".
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #39
Site Team

Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
Try playing the game "Redneck Life" Then, if you still want to live in a bus, go for it and to hell with anyone's opinion! My family played it last week. My daughter-in-law said,"Hey you are an authentic Redneck".
i have been playing redneck life since i was born. its in my genes. coonass and redneck!!
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

We've have only ever gone tent camping for every vacation....no RV's. We are very adaptable to setting up in strange and unpleasant conditions and with young children at that. Our outside families would think we've totally lost our minds but wouldn't be surprised in the least since we're unconventional people anyway. This would be a long hidden secret until all is done. I also want to make this an economical option for my oldest son who is 23 and just getting started in his career. He's very concerned about rent, mortgage, all the bills that go along with it, plus student loans. Our own mortgage is rising because taxes are moving up in this city. Why have 3-4 jobs when you can save $ in the long run living without so many financial commitments? It's a better option to live on wheels than what we're doing now.
jenna1969 is offline   Reply With Quote