Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Engine: 7.3
First trip together

Our first trip out since our maiden voyage from Florida. I got to enjoy the hot springs and take some pictures at the Garden of the Gods.

This is ironically the only place the bus did not want to sit still...

I was so excited, but the incline was too great for the parking brake. I noticed before getting out and just kept moving along. I'll look into that soon.

At home, we got a chance to play with lights and brainstorm license plate ideas. I have until the middle of October to decide.

I have gravel down in the backyard and I am ready to start remodeling the inside. The control panel went wild at the beginning of the trip, I tapped on it and everything went back to normal. I am starting to grow my list of things to look into and work on..

snowflakeartistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
How fun
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I totally dig LED lights!! do cool stuff with them!! I have done lots with them at my house and apartment... i love your fun ideas!!

your control panel.. you mean the dash gauges? if so, its a very common International probloem... i think they all do it...

on my DEV, I pulled the panel out and resoldered a couple of the connections on the board and its never wigged out again.. ever.. just drove it 150 miles (for the heck of it) yesterday...

on my new bus the panel freezes up until i reach behind and press gently on the connectors then it works for a few hours again.. so I need to do the same to that one..

your parking brake.. im assuming you have hydraulic brakes... if so is it a lever on the floor or the dash?

there may be a ball on the end of that lever that rotates.. this is to tighten up the parking brake.. that ball can rotate loose on its own sometimes..

you dont just tighten it all the way but you can rotate it a turn or so at a time and apply the brake to see how it holds...

its also a good idea to carry wheel chocks if parking on inclines.. just in case... but you dont want to use wheel chocks as your parking brake. your brake needs to hold on its own.. and the chocks as a backup safety.. and then of course you DRIVE the bus away from the chocks.. you dont try to kick them out before the bus is started, moved, and its parking brake applied after moving from the chocks...

safety first!!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: 7.3
I do mean the dash gauges. The light to illuminate them has a mind of its own as well. I will do some investigating and soldering.

The parking brake is a lever on the left that goes down to the floor. I will definitely try that next time. Thank you!!

The LED's are halloween lights from walmart, but I really enjoy them on the white bus I'll be figuring out a way to put LED's on the inside, the 50/50 strips probably. Id like to install some el wire in places to but that will come with time.

I have an idea of getting PPLEATR as a license plate but I dont want to be stuck to the color purple. I have a few more names listed as ideas. Who knows what the DMV will have available, Colorado doesnt allow to check.
snowflakeartistry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado, garden of the gods, short bus, thomas