Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2010, 03:01 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Former And Coulda-Been Skoolies

I love riding coach on Amtrak. I never sit in my seat, but in the Observation Car. Yes, you have to buy your own food and sleeping is best done at night or when you are too tired to listen to those around you. Always bring a good coat as you will use it both for warmth and to hide any food your eating in the Obs Car (Where your not suppose to be eating/drinking).

My favorite thing about riding on the train, is that it moves around alot. I love watching people pinball down the isle while I sit perfectly straight in my seat and everyone else is being jarred off of theirs. If your in a normal front facing seat, you have little problem from the movements, but in the Obs Car... I have watched people bounce off the glass from their seat when the car leans then straightens fast. And when you walk down the isle, they say to walk like a duck, feet at shoulder width or better if possible.

The Bathroom gets fun. Sitting, no problem. Standing over and aiming, place your knees on the ledge on both sides of the toilet and your aim is improved 1k fold, and you wont miss your target if the train moves suddenly...which it always does while your standing there trying not to bounce off the walls.

Lastly, Remember the name "Jay Belle". Just for fun, mention his name when the Conductor is walking past on the Coast Starlight and there is a great chance that you will be looked at oddly. Jay was an engineer for Amtrak and was known for finding willing partners on the train, and an out of the way place to... Unfortunately he passed away from Cancer about ten years ago. But uttering his name on an Amtrak train can get you anything from a simple warning not to "Mess around" on the train, to Conductors paying you extra attention during your travels, or they might just look at you oddly and leave you alone. I really like mentioned good old "Uncle Jay" just for the looks.

Acid Reflux, have you tried a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar? It works, but you have to keep it down first.

Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote