Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 6.2 diesel
Rated Cap: 20
Glacier National Park

Looking at a trip to Glacier next summer, anyone been out there that can give me some advice on where to stay? When I went to the Grand Canyon this year for my maiden voyage, I was asked if I was going to the north rim or south rim. I'm guessing that Glacier is similar in that there are different points of entry to stay at?? I will be coming from the Cincy, Ohio area. Probably stay at a KOA near the park out there but didn't know if maybe there was a certain place we should be looking to visit over another...

flamedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Glacier National Park

You wont be able to take the bus in the park. Well, you can along HWY 2 but thats just to travel through. Your best bet would be to come through the park into Kalispell, Whitefish [if you have a lot of money]or Columbia Falls and rent a car to go see things.
Make it later than the 4th of July. Going To The Sun Road usually doesnt open til June something, depending on the year.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Flamedeep, glad you asked-- The last time I was In GNP was in the 1950's and you could do more or less whatever you wanted. I too am looking foreward to taking my SKOOLIE to GNP (with a toad) so any experience you have I would greatly appreciate hearing about--especiolly where you can't take a SKOOLIE. Thanks, Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 6.2 diesel
Rated Cap: 20

Looks like Glacier will be post poned. We have decided to travel to the Adirondacks next June. Then down to Gettysburg and on to Williamsburg, VA before coming back home. Kind of a historical trip for the kids. I have always wanted to go to Gettysburg. Heard the Adirondack Mountains were beautiful so we decided to introduce a skoolie to that area! If anyone has been up there and has some must see area let me know. We will likely be staying at KOA campgrounds.
flamedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
Flamedeep, glad you asked-- The last time I was In GNP was in the 1950's and you could do more or less whatever you wanted. I too am looking foreward to taking my SKOOLIE to GNP (with a toad) so any experience you have I would greatly appreciate hearing about--especiolly where you can't take a SKOOLIE. Thanks, Jack
What are you taking for a toad ? are you towing 4 down?

tks
gbstewart
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Flamedeep, please pardon the mini jack. GB, I'll be towing a '59 Morris Minor Traveller 4 down. Last year I put the Morris on a 1989 Geo Tracker 4X4 chassis which (says so in the owners manual) can be towed 4 down as long as you stop every 100 miles (which I need to do anyway) and start the thing up to promote lubrication. lots of Trackers and Sidekicks still around into the mid 2000's. Jack

{b][b/]
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote