Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2016, 06:49 AM   #1
Skoolie

Have you been refused entry to a campground?

I"ve heard people talk about it, but i've never seen or heard about a policy at a campground that refuses a class of camper - old, ugly, skoolie, pop up, etc.

Have you been refused access/entry to a campground? Got a picture of your camper/skoolie? Where and what was their reason for refusing you?

prof.fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

So far in minnesota and wiscon havent had any problems. Even state parks havent had any problems. I think folks that do have issues are like the fancy rv parks in the southern states. It is all about appearances. They dont want folks that look like a party bus or some half washed up hippie bus pullung into a family camp ground. I have had more people come up to me and ask about my bus and say they like. Even some camp ground owners liked my bus. Well i hope this helped a little. And dont let other people make you feel bad because you want to be "different". Buses make awesome rvs
Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
The fancy RV places here in the south care more about your age and appearance than your rig.
I mow a couple of 55-up parks. The people are jerks and are usually miserable.
The ones with POW/MIA flags are all really cool, but the retirees from Michigan and PA are easily some of the crabbiest, nosiest neighbors I could imagine having.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
i have emailed rv parks, in Flordia, Texas , and Arazona , some out right said no, some asked for a picture and said ok,some said no, and some parks just said sure no problem come on down. I think places that have resort in there name are the ones that would say no right off the bat. To me it really doesn't matter, we stayed in many parks, people are friendly, even some with the million dollar rvs, I'm gearing up to do more boondocking, looking forward to Quartzsite area, head out for few weeks, move around a bit, stay at a rv park for a few nights for water and dump, laundry , and head out again. Our coal is to snowbird and spend the least amount of money on rv parks,
gbstewart
Old 11-12-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Never stayed at an RV Park, never will (maybe in March for the bus conversion gathering).

Never been turned down for any normal place...SP, private CG, NP, friends back yard.

Harleys, old PU campers, non Harley MCs, MH, bus etc.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
When any place tells you NO, tell them you are a gay transgender disabled person of color.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Ive been looking at buying a thousand trail elite membership. I talked with the guy that sells them about my conversion. He said they do have a standard but its based around you have to have what looks like a RV. (not written down) Needs to be converted well.
So painted etc we have lots of them on here. I did see that youtube video of the couple living in the RV with there kids and the front window was broken out and it all looked horrible to me. They were asked to leave. On thousand trails side I thought they handled it very well. They told them it had to be fixed up and refunded them all there membership money and sent them on there way. She said when it was back to fixed they could re join.
Its not cheap and they do want your money, it is a private club and I to want some standards while I'm staying.
A state park at least up here in the northwest i don't think there allowed to turn you away. I know you can camp out of your car or methlab.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
I just wonder what kind of hurdles I'll run into, I was looking at TT as well.... mine is gonna look like a Skoolie, except in color. The plan is to seal up and mask some of the windows on the inside so as to preserve the Skoolie look... after tinting them all as dark as I legally can. Then white on the top and blue (or maybe red) on the bottom. Think that would fly?
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
When any place tells you NO, tell them you are a gay transgender disabled person of color.
Or that your bus self-identifies as a Prevost.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
... The plan is to seal up and mask some of the windows on the inside so as to preserve the Skoolie look... after tinting them all as dark as I legally can. Then white on the top and blue (or maybe red) on the bottom. Think that would fly?
Paint it white and stencil, "Activity Bus" on the side. Or, in my case, "Inactivity Bus".
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Or, in my case, "Inactivity Bus".
Ain't THAT the truth.... that's me, almost to a T. I'm a self proclaimed couch potato.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
When any place tells you NO, tell them you are a gay transgender disabled person of color, with a service dog!

Fixed it for ya
Old 11-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
The minute I told them I had a Skoolie, NO came out so fast as to be confusing. Seems that if it's over 10 years old or anything converted, it's a taboo subject. Fortunately, I found a private owner with lots of back lot.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I know KOA in Sallisaw Oklahoma will turn down anything without a RVIA decal.

Can't even hang your wet pool towels outside!
Old 11-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #15
Bus Nut

It sounds like they just want to be elitist jerks... not everyone can afford a $250k rig built of toothpicks. But I think ALL the KOAs are like that.... not sure though.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:38 PM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Not ALL KOA are like that. We stayed at a KOA in Wellington Colorado that parked our bus (so they knew it was a Skoolie obviously) and we stayed for a couple of nights and we were on our way. I do not know how much leeway each KOA campground has though.
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:22 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Frankly, most KOA's aren't "fancy" enough for my little bus

I "google earth" to viewany KOA I'm considering and then go from there. Usually I e-mail ahead (regardless of park ownership) and simply ask if I will be welcome in my conversion. I don't use the phrase school bus and I include a picture of my bus in the e-mail. I've never been turned down, not even at the $115/night right on the beach above Santa Barbara, Ca our s%%t doesn't stink "resort". Also, I always offer to pay in advance with a credit card. Cash talks, BS walks or in this case ends up parked behind some gas station next to the railroad track.

By the way, the BCI March gathering is one of the best run get togethers I've been to and skoolies are definitely welcome.

I think R/V park owners are mostly worried about having trashy people leave behind their ancient sagging sticks and staples (after the cops arrest them) or folks who think burning a bus tire in the campfire ring to ward off mosquitoes is OK than they are about well done skoolie conversions or the ten year rule.

Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:21 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Or that your bus self-identifies as a Prevost.
Now that's funny. I have to go pee which bathroom should i use on your skoolie.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:42 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
It sounds like they just want to be elitist jerks... not everyone can afford a $250k rig built of toothpicks. But I think ALL the KOAs are like that.... not sure though.

I don't think that's true at all. They just want clean vehicles that reflect the facility and other RV'ers. There is standard out there and we all know what it is. A coat of paint and some stainless simulators on the wheels go a long way to stay this is a RV not a school bus. Of course I'm sure that there just as quick to kick out a big coach with a bunch of people out of control partying all night and being disruptive. Its all about making money and keeping guests happy.

For instance a tarp is not a awning at KOA or TT. but it is in a state park or BLM boon docking. There is a difference between a ONAN RV genset and in HF genset in noise. Burning garbage out boondocking away from me is fine. at a club site its not. Smoking cigarettes or weed or anything and the smoke is blowing into the rv next to you is not cool at all. Some places are gun friendly and some are not. If they have a range act like an adult going and coming and have safety gear. If you carry keep it holstered sitting around the fire boozing with friends is not the time to pass your Glock around for every one to see down the barrel so they can check if its loaded. Just things Ive seen that ruin it for me. and when you ruin it for me I get pissed. People rarely complain to the guy doing something its usually to the manger and he has no time to baby sit you so he tells you there booked the next day and come back soon.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:31 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
I don't think that's true at all. They just want clean vehicles that reflect the facility and other RV'ers. There is standard out there and we all know what it is. A coat of paint and some stainless simulators on the wheels go a long way to stay this is a RV not a school bus. Of course I'm sure that there just as quick to kick out a big coach with a bunch of people out of control partying all night and being disruptive. Its all about making money and keeping guests happy.

For instance a tarp is not a awning at KOA or TT. but it is in a state park or BLM boon docking. There is a difference between a ONAN RV genset and in HF genset in noise. Burning garbage out boondocking away from me is fine. at a club site its not. Smoking cigarettes or weed or anything and the smoke is blowing into the rv next to you is not cool at all. Some places are gun friendly and some are not. If they have a range act like an adult going and coming and have safety gear. If you carry keep it holstered sitting around the fire boozing with friends is not the time to pass your Glock around for every one to see down the barrel so they can check if its loaded. Just things Ive seen that ruin it for me. and when you ruin it for me I get pissed. People rarely complain to the guy doing something its usually to the manger and he has no time to baby sit you so he tells you there booked the next day and come back soon.
Smoking cigs or weed outdoors is wrong? Lock me up now!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote