Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2019, 12:44 AM   #1

Year: 2006
Chassis: ford e450
Engine: 6.0 turbo diesel
Exclamation HELP- Parking in Escondido area

Hey guys— quick batcall. I just drove my shuttle bus down to Escondido from the Bay Area to complete an educational program for the next 2 months and was told I could park it in this neighborhood, buuuuuut I totally cannot. I got a “remove in 72 hours” this morning and cannot find anywhere to park.

Does anyone have somewhere I can park for, at least, the next month?????

I’m soooooooo tired, y’all lol it’s always something 😩 I’m thiiiiiiis close to giving this all up & just posting the wander wagon for sale.

cdothill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
"Quick! To the KOA cave, Robin!"
Seems like a thousand years ago when I lived in IB! Wa'al, it was in the preceding millenium, at least...
Many urban areas, not only in SoCal, make it difficult to successfully stealth camp. And let's face it- Skoolies ain't particularly stealthy to begin with!
Aside from over-nighting at an amenable Y'allMart, Cracker Barrel, freeway rest area, truck stop, etc, you might have to bite the bullet and pay for a camp site.
Are there any BLM, NFS, or state/county parks at hand? Push comes to shove, you might inquire at any trailer parks in the region.
Good luck! [emoji111]
Old 07-31-2019, 11:26 PM   #3
FAC
Almost There

Year: 2003
Engine: Cummins 24valve 5.9
Rated Cap: 84
Escondido isn’t very friendly for that sort of thing for sure, or pretty much the entire north county of San Diego for that matter. I tried to find a spot for approximately 4 months before giving up, there is not much blm land close by and every single rv park I called gave me the “under 15 years old and we don’t rent to busses anyways” my best suggestion is to find someone with property that will rent you a space maybe out in valley center area there’s a bunch more ranches and large lots people are willing to have people stay on.good luck down there! There’s just too much riff riff in the cities, the police seem to be very intolerant of things like freecamping
FAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #4

Year: 2006
Chassis: ford e450
Engine: 6.0 turbo diesel
@hazmatt, sorry for the late reply! yeah, none of those are really options out here. i'm just going to cross my fingers i can slide by until my program is over *crosses fingers*

@fac,
yeah, i've been looking for folks with some land to rent a section from, but am having a hard time even finding those. what did you do for those 4 months? i really just need something until oct 1 when my program is over, then i can move on to somewhere more friendly.
cdothill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Yeah, no worries! Not like I didn't have bupkes for you...
How are you resolving the dilemma?
Old 08-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
FAC
Almost There

Year: 2003
Engine: Cummins 24valve 5.9
Rated Cap: 84
I hadnt fully moved there yet while I was looking for a spot to rent. So my bus was still parked where I was living in it.
FAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:55 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Just move it to a different spot every 3 days.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Just move it to a different spot every 3 days.
That will work a few times then the cops become major protuberances and then it gets hard.

Like others have mentioned, there’s no BLM land for miles. You need to find some private property to park on.

There’s some of those warehouse churches that are in business parks around Southern California. Maybe you can find one that will let you come in late and leave early sort of thing. Find a pastor and plead your case.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

That's a good thought about the big-box churches!
Gotta call semantics tho: most major protuberances oftimes are hard... [emoji849]
Old 08-01-2019, 06:20 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
That will work a few times then the cops become major protuberances and then it gets hard.

Like others have mentioned, there’s no BLM land for miles. You need to find some private property to park on.

There’s some of those warehouse churches that are in business parks around Southern California. Maybe you can find one that will let you come in late and leave early sort of thing. Find a pastor and plead your case.
Do the rules say you can't park there and they've given you 72 hours to move, or does it say it can't remain there for more than 72 hrs. If it's the latter, the police can do nothing.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

You can park your vehicle for 72 hours before you have to move. The neighbors are probably reporting you the minute they see you but you still have 72 hours from when they put the notice on your vehicle til you have to move. Just move to a different street and see what happens. Some people really don’t want you there but some don’t care. Look in the Craigslist for people who might have space for you to park on their land. I see offers up there sometimes. Put up an ad of your own. Some of the folks up there would love to have you.

Alternatively you could try an industrial or office park area. They don’t seem to care as much there.
Disastrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parking, shuttle bus