Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #1

How far can these things go without breaking down? :-P

Ok so i got myself a school bus and gutted out that baby, not a short bus but not the long bus. its about 8 window baby. original engine. supposingly the guy I got it form had a mechanic friend that kept up with the motor. Im about to move cross country and I don't want to leave it behind. but Im worried about a colorado to NJ road trip.

what do you all do if your bus breaks down? does AAA do anything? Im just scared this thing is going to break down on us in the middle of fricken bum &^%$ egypt if you know what I mean. we will have our pets and 6 yr old son with up so I am panicy about this. I know they last forever but how long is really forever in this case?
I have to check the title but i think its a 74 international loadstar.

any advice to ease the mind would be great right about now
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0707.jpg  

Binx Skoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: How far can these things go without breaking down? :-P

you don't want my advise....If I knew it ran good and didn't have any issue's since I had been driving it....I would just go.... make sure belts and tires are good;have an extra fuel filter...but I like adventure also and am pretty handy with tools and vehicles

This will end up being a soul searching episode

Good luck
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

How much is peace of mind worth to you? Maybe you should bring it to a bus mechanic and have him give it a "once over" to identify any potential problems.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
How much is peace of mind worth to you? Maybe you should bring it to a bus mechanic and have him give it a "once over" to identify any potential problems.

Well, I'm a chick so, I do have a lump chunk of funds planned to put into the rest of the comfort zone inside, if you know what i mean hehe But of course its more important that it runs properly otherwise I aint goin far lol
We do have a friend mechanic but he's going for surgery soon and will be out of commission for a bit. Im just any to make the decision on this thing.
I did call a bus/rv mechanic one time out here and they claimed they were booked for the next 4 months. so that did not help much. we are limited out here on resources.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

you also want to keep at least two towing entities all the time. like AAA-rv one, coach.net (Abt 130), and good Sam platinum..
Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #6

awesome. thank you guys. I just don't want to break down on our 1st road trip if you know what i mean. its going to be a cross country move so alongside will be a uhaul and my hummer training cross country together.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

, have some one look at it before you head out, anything can happen, new or used, like otheres have said bring some extra belts and filters,if something does happen, check on this forum for help, there is lots of good people here that will try and help you out,, i think you will be fine

good luck
gbstewart
Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #8

thank you. im hoping a full tune up, new belts, plugs etc will do the job. the last time we worked on it, it was put putting on its way back to storage. we have to take the governor off it so it can actually move lol but im not a mechanic. i just hope the putt putting wasn't something serious. it doesn't do so great up hill. and i see on here some people pull trailers with these busses. it would be nice to tow my husbands care behind it but its not looking like thats in our cards right now.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

still got that bus? i saw it on cl....been thin thinkin about it?
itsme1738 is offline   Reply With Quote