Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
"Cornlea, NE" Just lost my vote... WHERE ARE THE TREES?!!? I ain't camping in a corn field. I dunno if I've been to NE before. I've been to IA and seen enough corn to last me.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
"Cornlea, NE" Just lost my vote... WHERE ARE THE TREES?!!? I ain't camping in a corn field. I dunno if I've been to NE before. I've been to IA and seen enough corn to last me.
Hey I grew in Ill, Trees can be planted.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Hey I grew in Ill,

Trees can be planted.
How do you know? If it was western IL (not Chicago or southern IL) it looks just like KS, IA, NE.

Trees that will then be blown to CO or KY. They are called "prairie states" because "flat, boring and corn" doesn't sell as well.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Oh man I thought you were talking outside of Vacaville somewhere I was ready to book my stay....

I don't even like driving 80 across Nebraska on my way out there. Loooong flat and boring drive
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
The first thing I would be looking at is zoning.

Check with the county/city as to what zoning areas permit RV parks. Then, zoning map in hand, look at potential locations.

I looked at the idea a few years ago and some really awesome locations were a dead no-go because of zoning regulations.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
look at potential locations.
Read the whole thread; property is already got.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
I read that.

I don't think that it has any impact on zoning considerations. A nice gent down the road from me spent a year and many thousands of dollars on a nursery on property he already owned. Then the county noticed. Zoning ordinances did not allow a nursery business there.

Now the nice gent has a job at the lumber yard and the bank owns the property.

I would recommend checking for zoning & regulatory issues first before investing any significant time or money.

Just my $0.02
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Where is the property already ?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #29
Bus Nut

All the headache of setting it up aside, having a couple by skoolie for skoolie spots around the country would be super cool. I would go pretty far out of the way to stop at a place with some skoolie people.

Edit, I'd probably even stop in at the Nebraska one if that becomes a thing
Old 06-29-2018, 04:25 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I certainly do NOT mean to be discouraging OR turn this into a political thread. That said...

I kinda half remember when I was young and believed anything was possible. Now I'm old and have some first hand experience (still a business owner), I'm afraid my opinion has been tempered - probably far more than I'd like to admit. The number of government regulations that exist (for any business - local, state, & federal) are almost impossible to wade thru these days. If you can get thru them (with lots of time and dollars), you still have to face the insurance company. Any time 'people' are involved, you gotta have lots of insurance and you gotta do everything 'right' (think of people burning themselves with coffee or slipping on ice). It can all be done, of course, but it is the reason that RV parks charge $50/night.

Another consideration is that this is a "service industry" business. Not sure if you've ever worked there but it is VERY challenging. As much as we'd like to think that people are good and considerate... well... I better stop there. I've met a few people over the years that have gotten into the service industry because they 'loved people' and, in the end, stopped loving people and stopped doing whatever it was that they worked so hard to build.

Having lived in the RV world for a number of years, I can tell you that most of them are drawn to things. The type of things/attractions vary, of course, but most people seem to need them. I'm even guilty of it myself - I "need" silence (as in no man made noise) and solitude (as in no humans).

Finally, Nebraska is not one of those places that people would go for the weather (like southern AZ in the winter).

Ok, lots of negative - how about some positive. You are likely to create some excellent tax write off's from a project like this!!

An old saying in the aviation world: You know how you make a million dollars in aviation? Start with two million dollars and stop when you get it down to one million.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:51 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
An old saying in the aviation world: You know how you make a million dollars in aviation? Start with two million dollars and stop when you get it down to one million.

Corollary - how do you make a small fortune in the transportation industry?
Simple. Start off with a very large fortune.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Engine: CAT C7202
I own a campground that I started with my money on my family property. 54 acres. I know none of you ask but I'll offer my experience and knowledge.

First, because of the location in the hurricane alley; in the past apparently building inspectors and planning department has been flexible in their method and when the area got hit badly by the hurricane sometime in 90's, it seems that the inspectors and planning dept took so much heat from the government and federal they now run a very tight ship. Quite anal about everything by the code. Well, I can't blame them but that has been a painful and expensive experience for me, but when relationship was built and they see that I would still do everything by the book they were nicer to me going forward giving me some break here and there. If I was going to start a campground business, I would check and see how easy going the planning dept people are with things.

1) I had to apply for Special Use permit for the campground and the planning guy sunmitted my application with map of campground being used on my property to the adjoining property owners. At the meeting, permit was approved unanimously 7-0.

2) I spent about $6,000 in materials and rental to get 13 hook-up sites based on national electric code. Minimum of 2 50amp and the rest with 30amp with 120v next to each 30amp. 2 50amp and 11 30amp/120v. That's for start up. Not including $400 electric license I paid to my friend to let me do the work myself and he check the work before calling inspector to the site to sign off the work. Not include the labor cost & meals to my friends for helping!

3) I spent $2300 to install new water meter at the road and trenched line to the campground. The main pvc pipe line is 2" and 3/4" off the 2" line so there will be good pressure. I believe there is about 1,800ft pvc pipes. I spent about $400-600(??) for frozen proof spigot above the ground and spigots in the ground inside plastic waterbox with lid. Again, not including labor to a helper.

4) $2,000 into 6 port johns. Was cheap to start with port john instead of large septic tank and shower house. They wanted me to install 8 2,000 gallons of septic tank. I can't afford it at the time.

There were another facilities I spent $$ on to entertain guests for special events and etc. 40'X20' outdoor stage, 40'X40' pavilion, BBQ shelter, etc. Your mileage may vary but these project ran me $60,000.

After 10 years and debt paid, I finally spent $10,000 to get a shower house with 3 units. Each unit has full bathroom and shower. I was able to negiotate inspectors to let me use ONE septic tank instead of state minimum requirements of 8 septic tanks. I later added "dump station" to the rear of shower house so RV could dump grey water before leaving. My uncle owns septic tank business so he pump the tank often.

Expanded from 13 hook-up to about 33 hook-up sites and more water hook-up. One of client donated me electric wires that I was able to expand cheaper than the first time around. It is amazing how some clients will want to help your business grow IF they fall in love with the place!

I started this when I was 29. I'm 43 now and the debt for campground is less than $5k now. Whew!

And none of the ongoing expenses is included, which can run as high as $200-300 a month.. and be sure to have liability insurance!!!!! It wasnt easy but I'm getting to the point of having a decent campground.
Wkheathjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkheathjr View Post
I own a campground that I started with my money on my family property. 54 acres. I know none of you ask but I'll offer my experience and knowledge.

And none of the ongoing expenses is included, which can run as high as $200-300 a month.. and be sure to have liability insurance!!!!! It wasnt easy but I'm getting to the point of having a decent campground.
How many people do you get a year? After doing this yourself, would you recommend this to others?
Old 06-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Engine: CAT C7202
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
How many people do you get a year? After doing this yourself, would you recommend this to others?
To be honest, I started this just to host biker party and doing it two times a year. It was eye-opening for the community and it seems to ruin other guy's hope to start his own campground business on other side of the county because his community opposed his permit application. But I have since added few events including July Local Band Jubilee and renting property out. I am about ready to start a year round campground business with all the proper facilities.

It is not my place to tell others if I recommend it or not, but I will say this. If it is your dream to start a campground business, and you have the time, money, health(very important!!), and the energy to do this then go for it! If you don't have these then don't bother. It helps very much if you have a good PR skill and can make your clients happy. And to close this, I promise you it is not easy job. I've had people telling me it is so simple and easy they can do it.. I laughed and tell them they can take my place for few weeks and see.. they find out it is not easy and give it back to me
Wkheathjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:09 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Excellent post WK. The "been there, done that" nature of your discussion certainly brings the topic into focus. That being said, I'd encourage anyone meeting the personal requirements you pointed out to grab the ball and run with it! Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Where is this place?

I'm just getting into demo so it'll be a while but I'd stop to support fellow skoolies
Old 07-01-2018, 07:22 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkheathjr View Post
I own a campground that I started with my money...
I agree - great post and information!

First hand experience is invaluable. I'd love to hear more details but suspect that might be getting a little "personal".
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:50 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I read that.

I don't think that it has any impact on zoning considerations. A nice gent down the road from me spent a year and many thousands of dollars on a nursery on property he already owned. Then the county noticed. Zoning ordinances did not allow a nursery business there.

Now the nice gent has a job at the lumber yard and the bank owns the property.
Ah ok. I read it as something to do with defunct property. I doubt he's willing to start from scratch and buying more property.

Quote:
I would recommend checking for zoning & regulatory issues first before investing any significant time or money.
That is definitely sound advice. He has a LOT of research to do yet. Starting with who is sitting on what zoning/code/planning/etc board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatthefak View Post
Where is this place?
Cornlea, NE
Old 07-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Here's one for sale

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/b...590986190.html
Old 07-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Having given the matter some consideration, I realized there might be some demand for a campground of sorts near where I live. Having done a quick check, there are none within 30-40 miles of the area I have in mind. I am considering a location not far off of I-85 near Braselton, GA. Chateau Elan winery and resort is not far away, Road Atlanta is also pretty close (thinking this might appeal to racing fans and teams needing parking for events).

Any insight on what it would take to get a campground running? What might make it appealing (and things that would drive campers away)?
I read that every RV park owner is ready to sell. Lot's of problem solving and sometimes 24 hrs per day. Visit quite a few campgrounds and Copycat those successful

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote