Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #1

Living in Portland, OR

I usually work internationally, but next year my job is switching me to a new schedule, rotating between 2 months in Portland (total 4 per year), then 4 months abroad. Because it would be financial nonsense to rent a place for just 4 months, and a pain to find and move into a 2-month sublet twice a year, I'm thinking my best option is to invest in a Skoolie. Truthfully, I've always been looking for an excuse to do so.

To my advantage, I have family living on 40 acres in the middle of nowhere, so I'll always have somewhere to park while traveling.

I'm trying to figure out how easy it would be to find a parking place in Portland, though. I don't want to be parking on the streets, would rather an RV park or something, but all the places I'm turning up online have terrible reviews. Does anybody have any insight into what's available there?

emilygrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Living in Portland, OR

I have a few friends living in the Portland area. I'll see if any of them can give me some insight that might be useful!
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
Almost There

I know this is an old post, so sorry if I break any rules for posting in an old post.

I have been in Portland for almost a decade and it is damn near impossible to find a good RV park in town if you have any vehicle that is older than ten years and even harder if you don't have a factory manufactured RV. Your best bet is to find someone who owns property who will let you park a Skoolie on it. Otherwise the RV parks that will allow a Skoolie are at least 20mi from town.
Veganvegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Mini Bird
Engine: 6.2L Chevrolet Diesel V8
Rated Cap: Lucky 13
If I was in Portland and had wheels...I wouldn't be in Portland. Covenances don't allow for rv parking in most neighborhoods and generally the "keep Portland weird" motto has led to lots of gentrification and thus folks who are quick to call police about any strange buses.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
Almost There

Depends on where your park. Weekends in the industrial sections of town aren't as bad as the suburbs. Then again it depends on the residential area. There are also several Wal-Marts and a couple truckstops.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:50 AM   #6

do you know what rv parks take skoolies that are 20 miles away? Any information would help.
Snoopy2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganvegabond View Post
Otherwise the RV parks that will allow a Skoolie are at least 20mi from town.
Which parks are they? I'm researching a conversion right now...but I don't want to be stuck at Walmart full timing. I'll be moving to the area is 6 months for work and hopefully will have a conversion done.
Thejamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #8

There are only two RV parks that will accept a conversion and that Brookhollow RV Park in Kelso, WA (50 miles from Portland) and Lewis River RV park in Woodland, WA (30 miles from Portland).
kotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejamie View Post
Which parks are they? I'm researching a conversion right now...but I don't want to be stuck at Walmart full timing. I'll be moving to the area is 6 months for work and hopefully will have a conversion done.
I might be moving to Portland for the Spring/summer of next year. Please share any information you have gathered. Also I'll be in a Ford 350 short Bus I'm hoping full timing will be easier for me?
JamesHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:20 AM   #10

The RV resort at Mt Hood allows conversions. That was the closest one I found. The ones in the metro area all said no to me.
Thejamie is offline   Reply With Quote