Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #1

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT3208
Looking for a place to live in WA

Hi,

I am currently in the military and have received orders to Fort Lewis, WA.

My wife and son are both seeing doctors here in Colorado and will not be moving with my in order to maintain continuity of care.

I have a 1984 Bluebird 40' bus and am looking for somewhere within commuting distance of Joint Base Lewis-McChord where I can park the bus and live in it.

If I recall, a good number of campsites in that area are pretty strict about only allowing newer coaches in, and I'm pretty sure they would frown on letting in a bus conversion. I know the camp ground on the air force base is pretty good, and also affordable, but I believe you can only remain there for three months at a time.

I'd appreciate any help y'all can offer.

Thanks,

Mark Beazley

nonextant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
If the bus is your POV you should be able to park it in your unit parking lot. Are you planning on living in it during the conversion?
Old 04-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
If the bus is your POV you should be able to park it in your unit parking lot. Are you planning on living in it during the conversion?
Hmmm. I got the impression that the OP had a converted bus and was only looking for space.

So, Mark, are you working on a conversion or living in a converted bus? Inquiring minds want to know.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #4

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT3208
Sorry, getting ready to head out to the field for a couple of weeks, so I haven't been online.

I'm planning on living in it. It still needs some work, power is good, plumbing is in place, just need to run all of the lines. Still need to work out heating sometime before it gets cold.

Before I leave for Washington, It will need some work to get it roadworthy again.
We bought a new house this winter and I had to get it moved about a mile from the old house to the new one.

I need to replace both 8D batteries. When I moved it to our new house this winter, it took 2 vehicles hooked up to jump start it.
Once started, it ran great, but didn't build up air, so I couldn't unlock the parking brake. I didn't hear any leaks until I hooked up my shop air compressor. Once I had the shop air hooked up I heard a loud leak just above the engine behind the air compressor and found an air line that had melted on the engine.
Given that I only had to move about a mile on a barely used dirt road, I taped up the line, Filled the tanks to 100 psi and had no trouble getting it home. I forgot how fun that thing is to drive.

So, I need to replace the air line and batteries, so I can start it to see if it is building air. I'll also go ahead an change the oil and check the engine over. I am hoping to throw a coat of paint on it, so at least it is not schoolbus yellow any more.

Since my wife is staying in Colorado, Finishing the rest of the conversion will at least give me something to do in Washington while I'm not at work.
nonextant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:40 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I buy federal surplus from Ft Lewis at times but don't know the area very well. I always wanted to get stationed there but for some reason they don't put you close to home. I live a couple hundred miles south of Ft Lewis.

I'm guessing you're going to wish you'd squeezed yourself into a shortie. A 40' bus is going to need a real place to park. A shortie can park just about anywhere. Even outside the barracks so you can take showers.

People favor Colorado buses.

Good luck.