Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford E-450 Super Duty
Engine: PowerStroke 7.3L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 14,000 lbs
Mexico border crossing

I was just told by a friend that someone else he knows with a bus was denied passage at the Tecate crossing from California into Mexico. He was told that his bus needed RV registration (toilet, bed & sink), by the Mexican authorities.

Im planning to cross at the Mexicali crossing at the beginning of May. My bus is a toyhauler and is registered in California as a commercial vehicle. It will one day get a bed, but not a toilet or sink, as it does not fit my needs. Its also a 2002 Ford E450 with 5 window Thomas body.

Does anyone have experience with this? Can anyone direct me to legit info?

Thank you!

Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #2
Almost There

After I posted the message above, it dawned on me that I knew who to call. I called my friend, JC, who runs Baja Voyager. They do vehicle insurance and logistics for events in Baja Mexico.

He confirmed the Mexican government have been cracking down on vehicle crossings and he recently could not get another shortbus across the border without RV registration. He did think we might get lucky, so I might be hopping between Tijuana, Tecate & Mexicali crossings.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
So get the bus registered as an RV.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #4
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
So get the bus registered as an RV.
Unfortunately, its really not an option. Im hoping to be in San Felipe on May 3rd, 3 weeks away. I would have to install the required components, most of which I do not want in my bus, go thru DMV inspection and retitle, change insurance, etc. Even if I had the required components installed, the government drags their feet so badly, it wouldnt happen in time!

I'm leaning towards just mounting a cot, install a 5 gallon bucket with toilet seat and with the Engel fridge I have in there it might qualify and see if no one at the border notices a short bus slipping thru!
Old 04-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Some folks have even had trouble crossing with 1 ton pickups as, apparently, they are classed as commercial vehicles in Mexico.

There is an active member over on RV.net forum that spends a lot of time in Mexico in his converted Crown. IIRC: His board handle is Mexicowanderer.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:51 PM   #6
Almost There

I thought Id update everyone.
I had almost no problem crossing into Mexico at the Calexico/Mexicali crossing, watch for the RV/Bus lane as I missed it trying to avoid hitting the chaotic auto drivers on the approach. I got scolded for using the wrong lanes, but they boarded the bus, checked registration on the bus and the motorcycle I was carrying, as well as Passports for my Dad and I. They searched the bus lightly, their main concerns and questions were focused on carrying money (over $10,000 USD), passengers (just Dad & I), alcohol (over a 12 pack or more than 2 bottles of liquor) and the 5 gallon of gas (thats a no no, but let me keep it).

So all I can figure is that the rumor I had heard was an issue on the California Commercial plate of the other bus vs my California Passenger plate.

I did get Mexico insurance provided via BajaBound.com, but only 1 of the 2 companies they broker for would carry it and only as Liability. The cost was roughly $120 for 3 days.