Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Motorcycle Homestead - Around the World

Just a reminder fellow Skoolie.net member Sean F is circling the globe on his motorcycle. I often forget to check up on his progress. A little 'bump' here to bring the blog link for his journey back to mind:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF
Postby SeanF » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:52 am
On August 1, 2010 I parked the bus and climbed aboard an overloaded motorcycle for a 1.5-year ride around the planet.
Blog here if anyone wants to follow along. Downsizing my life yet again.

So in the meantime, keep the bus conversion dreams alive, be nice to the n00bs and each other. I'll peek back in when I get a chance, and if I see any interesting rolling homes along the way I'll post some pics.

Cheers all
Sean

Last edited by SeanF on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total
I think that qualifies as a "road trip!"

Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Motorcycle Homestead - Around the World

Thanks for the reminder and link, Redbear. A trip of a lifetime. "Everybody dies, Few really live"
Old 12-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Excerpt Posted October 31:
Quote:
Over the next few days I . . . . spent quite a bit of time chatting with Boris the surly security guard. As it turns out, he’s a very friendly guy with a good grasp of English at the conversational level, and we talked at length about Uzbekistan, the US, life in Tashkent, money, women, guns, family, motorcycles, politics…the lot. (After a few days he said, “Sean, you live in a bus, no family, no house, no car, no TV, no womens [sic], just motorcycles…that is no life!” Later on he took my bike for a short ride, and came back with a huge stupid perma-grin, and said, “Now I understand you! A little.”)
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Bump - i was a bit concerned when Sean hadn't posted for two months. He had been in Jordan headed through the Middle Eastern toward Egypt, just before the whole area erupted in revolution. But he managed to post several times this month, and had not ended up as "collateral damage" in any clashes.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
Skoolie

Coachwork: - Still Shopping -
Chassis: - Going Medium/Large -
Engine: - DT466 Desired -

.. small world .. read about his trip and parts of this as a link from the ADV site .. awesome ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Anyone heard from him? His site looks to be a few months behind.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Any word from SeanF. ????
I just emailed Chris P. at ZMWAdventures in AZ.
http://www.zmwadventures.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=18

He worked with SeanF. getting his bike ready for the trip.... according to SeanF's blog... http://thegreatbigopen.com/
I sat down last night and read thru his blog, sounds like one hella trip last post 13 April 2011.
Will post here when and if I get a response....
man .... what a trip!!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by syke
Is this THE Sean from ADV? Wow. hope every thing is ok with him.
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100MPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by syke
Is this THE Sean from ADV? Wow. hope every thing is ok with him.
I think so.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Found this over at AdvRider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... nf&page=14

Looks like he is SAFE and also back in the USA.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
Bus Nut

I hope he is safe and back in the good ole USA but the way I read the post on the link. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... nf&page=14
it was posted 13 April 2011, same as his blog site...
I don't see where it says he is back in the USA and safe..... but sure hope he is...
Old 07-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
I hope he is safe and back in the good ole USA but the way I read the post on the link. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... nf&page=14
it was posted 13 April 2011, same as his blog site...
I don't see where it says he is back in the USA and safe..... but sure hope he is...
He posted 5/23

Quote:
I am back in the USA, currently in Blacksburg, Virginia visiting friends and soaking up the familiar.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Thanks 100mpg...
he also on 06-14-2011..... good to know he's back and safe.....must have been one hella trip...
Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Latest post September 20 - the story of getting back to the skoolie.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Sorry to admit it, but I completely missed this thread! During my trip I had lots of positive vibes coming my way, and I think part of it was my Skoolie peeps sending good thoughts into the universe.

It was a most excellent trip. I got back home to my bus on May 31, exactly 10 months after leaving. 18 countries, 23k miles, 2 airplane rides, 4 ferry rides, 2 sets of tires (and no flats!), 2 sets of chain & sprockets. The bike was stone reliable, with the only failure being the speedometer drive gear in the front hub. Personally, I had the trots a couple of times, the flu once, a few bad cases of homesickness.

List of countries, in order of visitation:
Canada
South Korea
Russia
Mongolia
Kazakhstan
Uzbekistan
Turkmenistan
Azerbaijan
Georgia
Turkey
Syria
Jordan
Egypt
Italy
France
Andorra
Spain
Portugal

About half of the countries I visited were predominantly Muslim countries, and the people there made me feel very welcome. I couldn't stop for gas, or ask directions or get groceries without being invited to sit for tea, a cigarette and a chat (language barrier and all). Super nice people.

That's not to say that people elsewhere were mean trolls! People were basically good everywhere. I was pickpocketed in Mongolia, and was targeted by corrupt police in Turkmenistan and Azerbaijan to pay bribes for imaginary traffic infractions. A bomb blast shook me out of bed in Tblisi, Georgia when the offices of the anti-government political party was blown up a block away from my hostel. Some Kazakh kids in a BMW sedan tried to run me off the road. Those were my only instances of unpleasantness.

From Egypt, my plan was to go south, down the east coast of Africa to Capetown, but two things intervened: Sudan refused to issue an entry visa, and I was getting burned out on travel. I will see Africa another day.

Here are answers to some of the frequently asked questions I get:

Favorite food: France, Turkey, South Korea. Georgian food, especially the fresh bread, was surprisingly good.

Favorite country: Impossible to name one! I liked certain countries for specific reasons. Mongolia was the best for "adventure" motorcycle travel, having very little infrastructure, very few paved roads, little English spoken, etc. Uzbekistan had the most impressive historic architecture (sorry Egypt). Favorite people were in Syria, followed closely by Russians. Georgia felt very "comfortable" -- hard to explain, but I was thinking of getting an apartment there to wait out the winter. A delightful, unique country.

How did the bike perform/Would you take the same bike again: Performed perfectly, but the seat was not very comfortable. For me, the bike's light weight and simple design make it perfect for this particular job.

Any health problems: The trots were my own fault for eating a lots of a single food in a new country, overloading my digestive system with unfamiliar bugs.

Costs: From the day I left, until the day I returned, I spent about $20k. Not bad, considering that figure includes two long-haul air freightings of the bike and myself, numerous expensive visas (Turkmenistan, an unexpected transit visa for Russia) etc. From S Korea to Egypt I think I was living on $20-30/day, then in Europe daily costs tripled easily.

Gonna do another long trip: Very likely, but I have to earn more bread before I can chase that dream. Africa and Latin America are at the top of the list. Part of me wants to set down roots and build a house, so maybe I'll do that first. Guess I need to get a job first.

Anyway, it's good to be back in the USA!
Cheers amigos
Sean
Old 10-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #16
Skoolie

Good to see you back in the US and glad to hear you had a great time. When we emailed back and forth, I had no idea you were planning this monumental ride!
Old 10-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:

Good to see you back in the US and glad to hear you had a great time. When we emailed back and forth, I had no idea you were planning this monumental ride!
Thanks 100. I didn't broadcast it much because once I started telling people about it, I would *have* to do it. As long as I kept it hush-hush, I could quietly back out if I got skeered.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #18
Skoolie

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks 100. I didn't broadcast it much because once I started telling people about it, I would *have* to do it. As long as I kept it hush-hush, I could quietly back out if I got skeered.
I bet your glad you did it now! It looks like an amazing trip.
Still looking for the perfect bus. Price, features and condition. I think it will be a while before I find it...