Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Much needed vaca

I've been working 2 jobs since christmas, about 60 hours a week, and since march 2nd just about all of my off time has been spent working on the bus. I've gotten a ton done in quick amount of time, but I am tired....

I have vacation from June 1st to the 10th from both jobs, and I was originally planning the buses first road trip. I've decided it's not the best idea with where I'm at in the build, and I didn't want to drive around a metal box without AC in the desert, so I figured I'd stay home and just work on the bus.

Now I'm thinking I need a break, so I'm probably going to be heading down to Big Bend National Park this weekend on the 1st and try and grab a campground. Not taking the bus though. I went back in August on an impromptu trip because I had 3 days off, my first ever visit, but 48 hours in the park just wasn't enough and I've been dying to go back.

It's going to be hot, because it sucks in Texas right now, but once I'm sitting up on top of a mountain with nobody around except nature it will be so worth it!

Old 05-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I have had a long love affair with Big Bend and the surrounding areas. The only clearer sky is about 1500 miles out into the Pacific Ocean. Amazing place that is full of surprises.

Have you ever checked out an area most folks have never heard of called "El Solitario"? Really bizarre and wonderful geology. It is an 11 mile wide crater from a bazillion year old super volcano that left the equivalent of a gigantic stone maze. Truly remarkable, but it has to be taken seriously. Some folks go in and never come out. It is that easy to get lost and its' a long, long way from nowhere.

Sounds perfect doesn't it.

BTW...it is visible from space. You can see it on Google Earth. In Big Bend Ranch State Park slightly north & west of Big Bend National Park.

ENJOY!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:31 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I have had a long love affair with Big Bend and the surrounding areas. The only clearer sky is about 1500 miles out into the Pacific Ocean. Amazing place that is full of surprises.

Have you ever checked out an area most folks have never heard of called "El Solitario"? Really bizarre and wonderful geology. It is an 11 mile wide crater from a bazillion year old super volcano that left the equivalent of a gigantic stone maze. Truly remarkable, but it has to be taken seriously. Some folks go in and never come out. It is that easy to get lost and its' a long, long way from nowhere.

Sounds perfect doesn't it.

BTW...it is visible from space. You can see it on Google Earth. In Big Bend Ranch State Park slightly north & west of Big Bend National Park.

ENJOY!
YESSS!!!! I have seen pictures of it before. It is something that is definitely on my list to see!!! I honestly had forgotten about it

I'm also looking into getting a fairly cheap celestial telescope to bring with me since the skies are so amazing out there. Haven't used a telescope since I was a child
Old 05-28-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Have fun! (he said with a tone of jealousy in his voice).

I have been shopping unimproved land out that way. Just an acre or two I can park a Shorty on and watch meteor showers in silence.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Oh I will! Ended up buying a Celestron powerseeker 114EQ telescope to mess around with, with a phone mount to get pictures if i want.

Last time I went in August i barely got to enjoy the night sky due to some killer tooth pain that popped up just before the trip. Wouldn't you know it, woke up at 3am yesterday from a dang tooth killing me. Just got back from the dentist, got that sucker pulled. Nice unexpected expense...about the same price as my telescope as well..but that arrives in the mail today and I don't really want to return it...hopefully my last couple nights delivering pizzas before I go are decent tip nights to help recoup some.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Have to admit I prefer early Spring & Fall out there as the skies seem even clearer, but I'll take that area anytime.

Sorry 'bout that dentist thing and I can relate. I just made a few of my dentist's Mercedes payments last week myself.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I'd prefer those times too. It was great in August when I went. But I'll take a vacation whenever I can get it

Telescope showed up today! Bought it, an attachment to snap pictures with phone, and a small book about things to see in the sky. 3 items each shipped seperately, and wouldn't you know it it was the book that the package got damaged and item was undeliverable. Book won't be here in time for trip, but that's fine. Gonna mess around with the telescope later tonight
Attached Thumbnails
20180530_160327.jpg  
Old 06-01-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Mouth is still a bit sore, so i stayed home today and I will be leaving in the morning tomorrow. Try and make it before they close down so I can pay for the campground.

Tango - I'm going to be spending most of my time in BBNP, but I would like to make a trip out to view el solitario on one of the days. Where would you recommend I go to get a good aerial view of the formation, I'd love to get a few pictures of my own. Is there even anywhere close enough where I can get high enough to get a good view?
Old 06-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Made it to the park in one peice! I even scored the same camp site that I had back in august, which I like because it's kinda tucked away and private

Pretty sure there's a couple young adults about to get kicked out. Park ranger was searching their campsite and their bags.

It feels so goooood to be back! I picked up a few beers at the basin store and now it's time to relax
Attached Thumbnails
20180602_183355.jpg  
Old 06-11-2018, 11:49 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Kick back and enjoy. Doubt there is anything high enough to get a look-see since that sucker is 11 miles across...maybe a drone???

Have fun!

Jealous here.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Wayne Lifeguard
Chassis: International
Man, Big Bend is awesome. I recommend La Kiva for steaks and beer if it's still in Terlingua. And you're actually there at the right time for hanging out in the Chisos Mountains, I'm pretty sure -- June through September is terrible down below, but great up high. Have fun!
desertfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Oh it was miserably hot everywhere, but I loved it! Got into the park Saturday evening, stayed through wednesday and decided to drive up to Rio Grande National Forest in Colorado all of wednesday into the night, and did a nice 19ish mile hike up there on Thursday and came back home Friday
Old 06-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #13
Bus Geek

If you've never been...a suggestion for your next get-a-way...

Guadalupe Mountains National Park.

It is amazing. Strictly hike in...and up. Gaudalupe Peak is the highest point in Texas and the face juts 8,751 feet straight up from surrounding salt flats.

Quite a view from the top. And McKittrick Canyon is like no place else in America. What's really crazy is that the "peak"...isn't a mountain...or a volcano. It is the remains of a gigantic reef!

Very cool place. Literally. Up in the basin it will be 24 or more degrees cooler than at the base.

Definitely worth the trip.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
If you've never been...a suggestion for your next get-a-way...

Guadalupe Mountains National Park.

It is amazing. Strictly hike in...and up. Gaudalupe Peak is the highest point in Texas and the face juts 8,751 feet straight up from surrounding salt flats.

Quite a view from the top. And McKittrick Canyon is like no place else in America. What's really crazy is that the "peak"...isn't a mountain...or a volcano. It is the remains of a gigantic reef!

Very cool place. Literally. Up in the basin it will be 24 or more degrees cooler than at the base.

Definitely worth the trip.
I went to Guadalupe for my birthday back in November. Climbed Texas 2 tallest peaks on my 30th birthday. Dont know if it's always like this, but it was SUPER windy when i went there. Made it a pretty chilly hike once i started sweating.

I'm thinking Palo Duro Canyon will be my next texas trip.
Attached Thumbnails
20171105_105748.jpg   20171105_105828.jpg  
Old 06-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #15
Bus Nut

+1 on Palo Duro Canyon
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Yeah...the peak winds can get crazy at times. I was there the first week of April a number of years back. Got there late due to car problems so I slept in my company car that night. Woke up freezing and in total darkness. Only issue was that it was about 9 am. Turned out all my glass had three or four inches of SNOW covering everything. A frikken blizzard had blown in! Checked with the Ranger station and they were going nuts. Half a dozen German rock climbers were stranded about 3/4's the way up the face with 90 mph winds beating them to pieces. No body died but from what I understand they no longer allow any climbing up the big face.

Welcome to Texas.

And I'll second Palo Duro. Mighty pretty. Another fantastic area is along Devils River. But it is so protected you have to sign up a year or more in advance for a pass.

Get OUT there!
Old 06-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
+1 on Palo Duro Canyon
The 2018 season of "Texas" just started at the amphitheater.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote