Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Need a tow?

Anyone have any suggestions as far as tow or roadside assistance for a skoolie bus with reasonable rates and service options? (I am in FL) and how do skoolies deal with breakdowns on the road. anything i should know when considering tow'ers?

BigDeb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Good Sam Club, AAA
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I second the Good Sam towing insurance. They will try to gain your business on vehicular insurance too.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I second the Good Sam towing insurance. They will try to gain your business on vehicular insurance too.
How are their rates compared to others? Their name hasn't come up with any of the insurance issue threads.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
Bus Geek

I keep getting offers to call in and get a rate quote. I haven't done that yet since I'm paid up for at least another 8 months.

I agree, they don't seem to come up on a normal insurance search. Maybe it's by offer only? I don't know how they screen drivers.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: Dt466
Rated Cap: 42
When I looked into Good Sam insurance on their site, I was redirected to GMAC. You might get something different depending on your state.
evathedefiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I haven't looked into Good Sam insurance at all. They seem to have bad timing as far as renewing my insurance policy. I started receiving vehicle insurance offers from them about six months after I bought their premium towing package. Getting towed just once can cost more than three years of towing insurance.

I'm cheap, and used vehicles are going to have problems at some point so I like knowing that little portion is covered.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: International 3600 vista
Engine: Navistar ,DT466E
Rated Cap: 32 / 64
Just wondering do any of you not have towing through your insurance and if you don’t why not ? And when I asked my insurance about how many times/miles they said you can have as many tows as you need but long as they are for different reasons like a bad fuel pump ,water pump, injector so on and on.... but you have to show them receipts of the different problems. If not you only get one for a mechanical breakdown and a flat tire and that was it. And the mileage was whatever you needed to do/go. And the cost of insurance is so low for full coverage mine is $312 a year its a no-brainer to get it and it has a bunch of extra stuff with it too. But that’s what I think about what you should do about covering yourself for that incident. Hope it was helpful or gave you some insight.
CoryBodiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryBodiker View Post
Just wondering do any of you not have towing through your insurance and if you don’t why not ? And when I asked my insurance about how many times/miles they said you can have as many tows as you need but long as they are for different reasons like a bad fuel pump ,water pump, injector so on and on.... but you have to show them receipts of the different problems. If not you only get one for a mechanical breakdown and a flat tire and that was it. And the mileage was whatever you needed to do/go. And the cost of insurance is so low for full coverage mine is $312 a year its a no-brainer to get it and it has a bunch of extra stuff with it too. But that’s what I think about what you should do about covering yourself for that incident. Hope it was helpful or gave you some insight.
So if I broke down in L.A. they would tow me home to Atl. for free? What's the name of this magic insurance company? Everyones insurance covers what they will tow differently.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
So if I broke down in L.A. they would tow me home to Atl. for free? What's the name of this magic insurance company?
As multi-talented as you claim to be, why would you ever need a tow?

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
As multi-talented as you claim to be, why would you ever need a tow?
I suppose you believe his fairy tale, that you can get 100k miles of tows a year and full coverage for $300, really?
BTW, my claims are backed by results.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:07 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
sometiomes everyone needs a tow... I fix alot of stuff but changing a Busted AT545 wasnt gonna happen along-side the road lol
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

The magical insurance company is progressive. And yes if you broke down in LA they would tow it back to Atlanta. A friend of mine has them and has a regular pusher RV and it broke down they paid for them to finish their vacation and got the RV fixed and had it brought to their home when it was finished. As in my policy with them they will do the same and give me $1500 for me to get home or finish my vacation if I have a breakdown and not be able to continue in my bus/rv.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:50 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
The magical insurance company is progressive. And yes if you broke down in LA they would tow it back to Atlanta. A friend of mine has them and has a regular pusher RV and it broke down they paid for them to finish their vacation and got the RV fixed and had it brought to their home when it was finished. As in my policy with them they will do the same and give me $1500 for me to get home or finish my vacation if I have a breakdown and not be able to continue in my bus/rv.
And I’m sure it has something to do with how long you’ve been a customer as well. I’m sure if you get a policy today and needed to go that far in five days it probably won’t happen. But when you’re loyal customer with full coverage on all of your vehicles for 15 years plus it would happen.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:55 PM   #15
Bus Geek

And how many times a year will they give me that $1500 to get home, oh that's right , unlimited for $300 a year. Sounds like a great formula for bankruptcy. Lots of people here have Progressive and none of them make that kind of claim.
I'd breakdown at least 10 times a year.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:26 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Here is Progressives add on Road Assistance program:
Roadside Assistance
Progressive's Emergency Roadside Assistance exists for your peace of mind. If you purchased this coverage with your policy, it's available 24/7—just call 1-800-776-2778 at any time, and a representative will dispatch a roadside service professional right away.
What's included?
If your vehicle has stopped running due to non-accident related events (e.g. mechanical or electrical breakdown), use your roadside assistance coverage to help with:
Towing – Whenever your covered vehicle requires more than at-the-scene service, we can arrange to tow it anywhere within a 15-mile radius, or to the nearest qualified repair facility if one doesn’t exist within 15 miles. Keep in mind that you will be responsible for the cost of any parts and/or repairs made to your vehicle.
Winching Service – Defined as an at-the-scene service when we can pull your car out of an area with a motor-powered cable or chain. We’ll offer this service if your car is trapped in mud, snow, water or sand within 100 feet of road or highway.
Battery Jump-Start – Call us if your battery fails. If possible, it will be jump-started at the scene to help get you on your way.
Fuel Delivery – If you run out of gas, get the required fuel you need delivered directly to your vehicle. You only pay for the cost of the fuel. The delivery and service are free.
Locksmith Service – If your keys are lost, stolen or accidentally locked inside your vehicle, we will dispatch a qualified service provider. You’ll only be responsible for keys/costs to replace them.
Flat Tire Change – No need to panic if you have a flat. A roadside professional can put the spare tire on your vehicle at the scene.
On Scene Labor – Related to disablement, up to one hour.
Note: The number of roadside events we cover in any rolling six-month period may not exceed your policy limit in order for coverage to apply.

Now you can make me look like the complete ass you think I am by posting the clause in YOUR policy that backs your claims.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Dude get a life! And be real no you’re not going to get 100,000 mile tow each year if you have a piece of crap that breaks down every day you drive it. Time to actually spend some money on something that’s worth something. And I’m sure you’re one of the people that has a star next to their name when they call companies because you’re very rude and demand everything from everybody like your some God or something. And the people that have horror stories of insurance not doing things for them or people that abuse it like I’m sure you try to. If you didn’t like the post I had why don’t you just ignore it and let people that have something positive to say or ask post instead of you filling it up with negative rants and raves like you always do you are on every thread with some negative thing to say and I mean almost everyone I see your pictures with something negative to say!!
Old 07-15-2018, 09:00 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Dude get a life! And be real no you’re not going to get 100,000 mile tow each year if you have a piece of crap that breaks down every day you drive it. Time to actually spend some money on something that’s worth something. And I’m sure you’re one of the people that has a star next to their name when they call companies because you’re very rude and demand everything from everybody like your some God or something. And the people that have horror stories of insurance not doing things for them or people that abuse it like I’m sure you try to. If you didn’t like the post I had why don’t you just ignore it and let people that have something positive to say or ask post instead of you filling it up with negative rants and raves like you always do you are on every thread with some negative thing to say and I mean almost everyone I see your pictures with something negative to say!!
When bad info is spread on the internet expect to called out when the story just makes no common sense what so ever. Your claim is just so ludicrous. I'll make it easier on you. Show me where they will pay you $1500 for anything even once. Or where they will tow me for free 2000miles, even once?

It's been hard enough on some people to acquire insurance at all, many here end up at Progressive and no one can claim "full Coverage" for $300/yr. Notice how many Progressive policy holders are coming to your defense? Next time tell a story that's a little more believable.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:10 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

You know I don’t have time right this second I’m going to bed but tomorrow I promise you buddy you will be proven wrong as I’m going to get everything from my policy skin and show you that you don’t know everything and call progressive and ask them what the difference in their policies or member status is ask them what their Emerald status has for their full coverage insurance policyholders compared to their bronze status in the state of North Carolina before you go cut in paste generic things from the Internet
Old 07-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Good Sam Roadside assistance is a good program.
I am not sure what the pee match going on is - but call them or AAA and get the information directly - that will save you from having to scroll through the banter from some who read more than do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeb68 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions as far as tow or roadside assistance for a skoolie bus with reasonable rates and service options? (I am in FL) and how do skoolies deal with breakdowns on the road. anything i should know when considering tow'ers?