Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Almost There

Need advice on I-80 in Utah and Wyoming

Im looking to buy another bus and drive it from Utah back to Cincinnati, OH. The start would be near Salt Lake City. Has anybody ever tried to drive that stretch of road in the winter in a bus with no snow-chains? Do you recommend it? I know how to drive in the snow, but some of the horror stories I've heard have me wanting to store it till spring then try the trip then.

Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Need advice on I-80 in Utah and Wyoming

The conditions out there change hourly! You cannot leave the house and check the weather and decide all is good to go. You will have to always be on alert! I drive truck for a living and I know we HAVE to carry chains. I don't really know about passangers cars but as a school bus you might very well be considered commercial therefore subject to fines if you don;t have them. Good Luck
letz4wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Almost There

Thanks for the replies, all. He is willing to keep it till spring. I might take him up on the offer. I just found out it does have automatic chains, so that is a plus. This all may be a moot point as this is a bidding process and if it goes too high, Im not going to chase it considering the distance. Im bidding on a TC2000.

This one was black, had no rust, and titled as an RV.

My requirements on the bus search were no (or very little) rust as I had one almost rot out from under me. It has to be painted somthing other than schoolbus yellow and titled as an RV as those are the requirements for my township and my zoning inspector lives 1 minute from me and passes my house every day on the way to work. It had to be diesel, keep to highway speeds (60-65 minimum) and front engine as I wanted to use the rear as a motorcycle carrier (think Hawg Wagon project here). I know Im asking a lot, but Im not in a big rush to get something.

What have you found vanguy?
Old 01-19-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

I've driven that road a great deal in 18-wheelers. If it's just as convenient for you to wait a few months, then that would be good. There are several steep hills that often are icy. There is wind that regularly tips 18-wheelers over. Rawlins to Laramie is probably the worst for wind.

It IS possible to look at the national weather map and if it is totally clear all the way from California, then it may not be so bad. The weather usually travels from the west to the east at almost driving speed. But sometime a surprise drops down from the north.

If you do go now, get a set of real chains, and practice putting them on.

A bus that is considered rust free in Salt Lake City may not be what we would consider rust free on the West Coast. SLC is definitely rust country. I bought both mine near Portland, Oregon -- totally rust free.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Almost There

Well...I didnt get it. It went for a good price, but not a good price for me after I factor in travel and white-knuckleing the mountain trip home. Thanks for all your input.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Don't worry Fireguy9993, yours is still out there waiting for you...
Old 01-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
Almost There

I think I saw that one. It was brown, right? St. Louis is a pretty good drive for me and the miles werent very appetizing, so I didnt pay that much attention. I think it was also a rear motor, I believe.

I have been salivating over KC10's bus for sale as it is done up almost perfectly for what I want and need, but his asking price is higher than I can shell out right now, even though he has done a lot of the work I would eventually like to do.

I appreciate everyone's help. Im still in the hunt