Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Me
Chassis: 2001 IC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Need help in Denver

Help! We just drove to Denver CO. a week early for a concert at Red Rock. All the campgrounds are either full or dont want a skoolie. Any suggestions where I can park beside a truck stop or sams club? They tell me they have city ordinance states no overnight parking at any business like wal-mart.
Attached Thumbnails
denver.JPG  

Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscokid View Post
Help! We just drove to Denver CO. a week early for a concert at Red Rock. All the campgrounds are either full or dont want a skoolie. Any suggestions where I can park beside a truck stop or sams club? They tell me they have city ordinance states no overnight parking at any business like wal-mart.

I don't know how strictly it's enforced there, but many Wal-marts I've been to have never hassled me about an overnight stay (including a couple with 24 hour security patrols.) I get the impression it's more about preventing it from becoming a big parking problem (it's a retail store, not a truckstop or campground), as well as giving some legal leverage if someone decides to ... make themselves unwelcome.

Of course, my experiences are in big trucks, not my bus ...
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #3
Skoolie

Coachwork: Me
Chassis: 2001 IC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
We found a welcoming Wal mart in Bowles to stay. Beside the people who are skoolie owners here mot people are not greeting us with open arms. But that wont spoil our fun!!!!
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Colorado is a funny place.
I got out of our rental car in Arvada and was promptly detained by the local cops literally within seconds of exiting the vehicle. Turns out they are adamantly opposed to Deadheads in their town and I had a 90's tour shirt on. They changed their tune real quick when I showed them my FL ID and told them I was just there to spend money on vacation.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:22 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Huh! You're a Dead Head? Neva woulda guessed... [emoji849]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I got out of our rental car in Arvada and was promptly detained by the local cops literally within seconds of exiting the vehicle. Turns out they are adamantly opposed to Deadheads in their town and I had a 90's tour shirt on. They changed their tune real quick when I showed them my FL ID and told them I was just there to spend money on vacation.
"Welcome to Colorado!
Leave your money, and go home..."
Old 07-01-2019, 07:32 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Huh! You're a Dead Head? Neva woulda guessed... [emoji849]"Welcome to Colorado!
Leave your money, and go home..."
They should mind their own. Some local youths spent their afternoon throwing rocks and pennies at us as we tried our best to enjoy their crappy little mayberry wannabe town.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:39 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Yay skippee.
Quote:
They should mind their own. Some local youths spent their afternoon throwing rocks and pennies at us as we tried our best to enjoy their crappy little mayberry wannabe town.
Let me put that burg on my, "No Way In Hell," list!
Old 07-01-2019, 08:00 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
A friend of the devil is a friend of mine...

Hehehe...
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:03 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

And what a looo-ong,
Strange Trip it's been...
Old 07-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Have you tried the State Parks? St. Vrain state park is north of Denver right off I25 and there two state parks on the east side of town I believe. They are usually very busy but you might be able to get in one of them on a weekday.
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
We are in Denver right now. We stayed last night at the Bass Pro in Colorado Springs. No problems there. We are at Chatfield Lake now, but I think it is booked up.

When researching for this trip I found a lot of boondocking sites on compendium and freecampsites.net of you are willing to drive up into the mountains a bit.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:22 AM   #12
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Besides state parks and Wal-Marts, there's a handy-dandy guide you can get called "Next Exit" (maybe "THE Next Exit". It's chock full of listings for on-ramps (I say on-ramps because of a reduced possibility of some idiot crashing into you) that are safe to park on. Should be attainable in a truck stop or other travel centers.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:27 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

That'd be a good resource to have on board! Seen plenty of semis idling away on on-ramps, re-setting their clocks.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:47 AM   #14
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
That'd be a good resource to have on board! Seen plenty of semis idling away on on-ramps, re-setting their clocks.
Saved my bacon a few times until a spilled drink ruined it...

OP might also try rest areas. Pickings can be slim for parking but you can get lucky.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:37 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE
Engine: DT466E
Denver

There's a big parking lot off of I-25 & Santa Fe next to a baseball field. If it's not considered part of the adjacent park (which are closed from 11p-5a), and I don't think it is because I see a small RV and various vans parked there frequently, then you're good. Sorry I can't make any promises about you not being hassled by the cops, especially if you're staying multiple nights, but it's a good bet. I'll PM you a Google maps link.
FuzzWantsABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Seeing as how today is the 9th, you have probably been to your show at Red Rocks. I saved the website for when I go next summer.😎

https://303magazine.com/2016/05/10-t...ing-red-rocks/
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
When I used to drive the entire lower 48 I would tag/rate in my GPS any place I found that was truck friendly - that includes Wal-Marts, Sam's Clubs (some Walmarts are 24-hour but Sam's Clubs are not so less noise and less harassment) and believe it or not a lot of adult stores although I will admit I don't recall seeing a lot of those in Colorado. Additionally, most Cabelas have some truck/RV parking, Cracker Barrels have RV parking but may not appreciate overnighting, and certain McDonalds have RV parking and/or truck parking. McDonalds like Walmart almost always have signs against overnight parking but rarely seem to enforce it if they've gone through the trouble of providing said parking.

Worse comes to worse, yes you can park at a truck stop but be respectful that those guys are federally regulated and once their clock stops they stop. If it looks full then chances are you're not going to win any friends if you commandeer a truck spot with an RV/bus. I would advise in that situation either see if there's a small space kind of at the corner of the lot where a truck wouldn't fit but you might or in a full size space pull through to the far end so that a bobtail truck might be able to use the extra space behind you. Its a little thing but makes a big difference in how truckers perceive other non-commercial rigs. The ones who often regret venturing into truck stops are RVs with slideouts that end up taking TWO spaces just to set up a free campsite! If you spent $250k on that Winnebago then go spent $25 a night at a proper RV park! But I don't expect a skoolie will get the same attitude.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
there are plenty of places to park in denver, you just need to be creative. I'd look for an apt complex and maybe park on the street next to that.

places like chatfield are booked up by locals for weekend warrior camping. for free camping, i'd try rainbow falls, or central city. there might be some free camping around golden gate park. but generally you have to go a bit away from the city for free campsites.

first time i ever heard arvada called "mayberry" my sis used to be in the city govt there. i'll be sure to point it out at the next fam dinner.

heck, i ought to just give up my sis's addy, I know for a fact she'd call the cops on me if i parked my bus out front of her house.
that's what little brothers do.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:30 PM   #19

If you want to park somewhere in city limits, try Platte River Rd/Evans Ave just south of downtown Denver. It’s off Santa Fe Blvd. I lived over there in my car for almost 3 months and never had a single issue. Industrial warehouses and factory buildings galore with lots of fellow vanlifers and RVs. Some transients and not the type you’d stop for a friendly chat with, but others you’ll find are just like you.
wrxmakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:31 PM   #20

Also in the Belmar area in Lakewood, there’s a Home Depot lots of RVs park at. If you park on the park side of the street near the city parks in the neighborhoods over there, you won’t be bothered either.
wrxmakala is offline   Reply With Quote