Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Rated Cap: 27
I live in Westchester and had to deal with all of this when I got my bus back in April.

So long as you have passenger plates, you can legally drive on any road in NY. To get passenger plates, you need to demonstrate that the vehicle is for passenger use (it has windows, seats, etc. - check the DMV for a more detailed explanation). There is no max weight for a passenger vehicle, nor does the dually status have any effect. My bus (a dually) was rated at 8,500 lbs and they gave it a designation of "House on Wheels" which is a subset of passenger vehicles (I'd never heard of it either).

That being said, you'll need to look out for low bridges in a couple of places. I think the Hutch has a couple of bridges that are maybe 8' 6", but only the right lane. My bus is just over 9' and when I checked, I'm good to go virtually everywhere. The Taconic/Sprain/Bronx River are clear, and I think the Saw Mill is too. I thought that the NY DOT had a website where you could check bridge heights on given roads, but I can't find it right now.

Hope that helps.

bfuller181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #22
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
"*How to get a FREE drug test ! "

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:51 PM   #23

I can answer for sure about the Hutchinson. I live just off of it on the Connecticut side, we call it the Merritt Parkway.

And you will not fit in CT....Some of those Bridges are WAY short.

I should say specifically that they are very picky about it and have seen motor homes get caught under bridges and never see any buses on there. Techniquely in CT you aren't even allowed as a regular driver to be towing something on the Merritt.

I hope that helps. On the bright side, I-95 rules parallel to the Merritt in CT.
PreachingonaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Jersey is the only state you have to pay to get out of. NYC is in my way to CT.
i drive truck and got caught up in cristys bridgegate i saw no work and people working or any good reason to close those lanes (lost 5 hours in that mess) vowed to never go back to jersey
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #25
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
i drive truck and got caught up in cristys bridgegate i saw no work and people working or any good reason to close those lanes (lost 5 hours in that mess) vowed to never go back to jersey
Illiana is doing same thing- artificial choke. They take turns: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan. They are pushing for a new highway from Indiana to Illinois. Many trucks now with fulfillment centers.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:13 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Ouch its already bad enough without a choke
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #27

Not sure if you got your answer or not

I live on Long Island and you would have to be careful on the Southern State Parkway, very low overpasses (by design, Robert Moses was incredibly racist and classist, didn't want the poor people to be able to bus out to the nice beaches... What a Pr!8#)
Most are around 11'3" at the dead center, Closer to the city they can be as low as 7'9" at dead center (so those buses couldn't get on. O towed in this area for almost a decade and can't tell you the number of trucks that get stuck and or destroyed here.
When I was in high school a teacher on a class trip took a minibus (4 wheel van style) on the parkway and took the roof off, with kids on board.
Stick to the Long Island Expressway... you'll be fine.

https://s1.postimg.org/44rg7v3l1b/Low_ceiling.jpg
DedJezter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:16 PM   #28

If you didn't get an answer yet.

I live on Long Island and you would have to be careful on the Southern State Parkway, very low overpasses (by design, Robert Moses was incredibly racist and classist, didn't want the poor people to be able to bus out to the nice beaches... What a Pr!8#)
Most are around 11'3" at the dead center, Closer to the city they can be as low as 7'4" at top (so those buses couldn't get on. O towed in this area for almost a decade and can't tell you the number of trucks that get stuck and or destroyed here.
When I was in high school a teacher on a class trip took a minibus (4 wheel van style) on the parkway and took the roof off, with kids on board.
Stick to the Long Island Expressway... you'll be fine.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Starcraft
Chassis: E350
Rated Cap: 12 Pas; 1 W/C
Bus On Parkway LONG ISLAND, NY

Click image for larger version

Name:	bus.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	20580
April 9, 2018
The coach bus full of students that crashed Sunday night on the Southern State Parkway was about 4 feet taller than the overpass it hit, officials said.

The crash seriously injured two, left five others with moderate injuries and three dozen with minor injuries, State Police said. The 38 students and five chaperones on the bus — several from Huntington High School — were returning from a spring break trip to Europe, police and school officials said.

A sign posted by the state on the overpass on the eastbound Southern at Exit 18 in Lakeview says the clearance is 7 feet, 7 inches. The height of the bus, a 2000 Prevost, is roughly 12 feet, according to the bus manufacturer.
bry899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #30

When will they learn? There are so many signs to tell you not to do this, I can't believe how often it happens.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #31
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
(Note to self: Post bus height in conspicuous spot in front of driver.)
TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote