Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Picking up our Skoolie! Need place to park for two nights in Indy end of August

Hey all!

Happy to announce that my girlfriend and I just purchased our first skoolie! We are really excited to break away from the expenses of our current apartment complex. Now is the time to kill off this debt that has been haunting us since high school! What an exciting feeling...

I have a conference that I am attending in Indianapolis from Thu 8/23 to Sat 8/25. We will be flying out from Boston Wed night 8/22 and meeting our new bus when we arrive. The current owner lives near Iowa City and generously agreed to meet us with the bus in Indy.

It would sure be nice to have an inviting place to park while we are there! I don't know a ton about Indy, but I would like to be close enough to Lyft my way into the city.

The bus is self-sufficient. Shower, composting toilet, fresh and gray tanks and full solar, so we should be good to go without the need for shore power or anything like that. Any suggestions for parking lots or rest stops that are safe and comfortable would be awesome! Even better if somebody lives there and wants to host our rig for a couple nights!

Thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing back!

Chris & Liz

cjmorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
There's always the Walmart parking lot.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Is Walmart an option for more than a single night? I've heard it's only 1 night at a time, or else they may hassle you...
Old 07-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I've spent lots of time at walmarts around the country. My advice: Don't be a nuisance, don't park in a "good" spot, and go somewhere else when the sun comes up. If you're gonna be in a town for a while, rotate walmarts.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Welcome to the gang! For your current dilemma, I would encourage you to go to www.overnightrvparking.com and subscribe. It will cost you $24.95, and well worth it in my opinion. You type in your location and it pops up with options nearby. They even have an app you can use on your smartphone.

Here's the map of Indianapolis I just obtained from their site. The green pins are places that let you stay overnight, and each has details similar to the panel at the right. Other colors indicate "no parking" or "just Elks members" or some such.

Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:11 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks so much for directing us to that site! I will be spending some time on there for sure.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Run an ad on Craig's List in Farm and Garden and change it a bit and run it under the Wanted Section also. Easy way to wind up a t a rural location etc. You said you don't need shore power. That is great. What about rest stops along the freeway?

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Great idea! Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I believe (in addition to Wal Mart) you can overnight at Cracker Barrel and Cabela's too.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

I read this, too. I actually did sign up for OvernightRVParking and a lot of the sites are Wal-Marts or Cracker Barrel, among other things.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:55 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

We actually confirmed the Indiana State Fairgrounds just north of Indy for the two nights that we will be in town! Like $20 for simple hookups, $30 for full hookups, and no reservations necessary. It's 15min from my destination and will make a great start to our experience. My girlfriend will get to spend some time meeting other RV folks and learning what she can!