Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Re: Screw This Town!!!!!

i've done a lot of traveling around the US, and one of my favorite towns is Reno. They are about 20 degrees warmer than here (detroit) all year round, and they get way more snow than we do. 10 miles out of town and you're in the middle of nowhere. Just a short drive to the mountains, or the desert, or the lake. Excellent skiing, burningman. the people seem very friendly, lots of open space.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24
Re: Screw This Town!!!!! (Updated)

Yea LaPeer!! I've lived in rural NV since spring of '89, having moved from Ohio. Reno is a bit cramped, and traffic has been an issue. But hey, I'm in Winnemucca, 164 miles out in the desert with 9000 people, 5 stop lights! In the last housing boom, the Californians really jacked the Reno housing market up. It's recovering, but I think still inflated. A big plus (for now) is that Nevada has NO income tax. In addition to Reno, Carson City is about 30 miles south, smaller but still a decent size city/town. Minden/Gardnerville is another 15 miles south. Mining jobs are harder to find these days, but Winnemucca and Elko are both decent small towns, after you get over the shock of being SO FAR from everything else (and everyONE else!) If you're really fed up with rules and BS, there's some really tiny desert towns out here that'll suit you just fine!!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40
Re: Screw This Town!!!!! (Updated AGAIN)

Reno and the surrounding areas are great. Lots of outdoor access and a job market like you would find in any large urban area. I lived in Reno and up near lake Tahoe for a number of years and other than the zero tolerance policies of the state of nevada, I have nothing but positive memories of the people and landscape. RECYCLER
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

I here ya Cheese- we lived in southwest VA for years- I liked the people, the land just the state itself that got to me. Too many rules about this and that... we lived out in the country. Our taxes were outrageous. In our county there were no jobs, you had to travel at least 30 minutes to any job.

Not that we went anywhere better here in NJ- jobs are a bit better, but the people and the land stink!!! We are looking to head west ourselves, getting ready to fix up my beast and take off. We like NM anywhere between Demming and Lordburg, nice a desolate.

Keep in contact we'll have ourselves a convoy
Old 07-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Skoolie

The climate varies considerably in the state. The extreme south (Vegas) is Mojave desert, very hot and dry summers, moderate winters. As you move north, elevation picks up quickly, modifying things. Winters become erratic. Count on at least a week near/below zero at night, and often daytime too. But it's usually sunny and very dry, so it's not noticeable (relatively) unless the wind is blowing. But it may be balmy, light coat/jacket weather a week later. Snowfall is extremely erratic. Higher elevations and farther from the sierra gets more. Reno is right against the sierra, so it can get a bit more than Winnemucca. Spring is a bit rainy, very windy. Fall doesn't really exist. Summer is not as hot as Vegas, varies from 80's to occasionally around 100. But 4000+ ft elevation and very dry air makes it pleasant.

I grew up in Columbus Ohio. Trust me, there is ABSOLUTELY no way to compare what you're used to in VA to NV. Outside of the extreme south/Vegas, it's high desert......hot cold WINDY DUSTY. Sagebrush dominates. Something like 87% of the state is owned by the Federal Government. A lot of the private land is Railroad grant land, and is essentially free roaming ground also: In something like a 26 mile swath along the RR right of way (basically I-80), every other square mile was given to the RR to encourage them to bring the rails west. The stretch from Reno to Minden/Gardnerville is much more developed, sitting right at the transition from Sierra Mts to high desert. Great mix of city life , mountains, desert, gambling, skiing........San Francisco is about 3 1/2 hrs away. No state income tax. The small towns are a world unto themselves. Remote and tiny. But then Winnemucca, Battle Mountain and Elko are on I-80, and are mining towns. Northern NV produces 5+ million ounces of gold annually, from large scale open pit mines, and increasingly underground operations. So there is a surprising amount of good paying jobs both at mines and support industries. Mining also brings in geologists, engineers, metallurgists etc, so the cultural diversity is a bit greater than non-mining small towns. Not sure how sustainable the big mining industry is, long term. It's been going for 20+ years now, and few discoveries are being made.

I've been in Winnemucca since '89, so Reno is a bit too crowded for me. But when I first flew in years ago, I thought "Is that it? That's not a city!" For someone coming from the East, Reno will be a shock, but you'll acclimate quickly. It's a very livable town. Go straight to rural NV, and you might freak out if not totally prepared! Vegas is not NV. It's Vegas. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Skoolie

Reno/Sparks is built in the "Truckee Meadows" The Truckee river flows from Lake Tahoe thru Reno, which is in the first significant valley. So it naturally was an overflow area, esp during spring rainy season/ high snow melt runoff season. So yes, it can be prone to flooding, most in late winter early spring. Heavy rain in the Sierra combined with warm temperatures melting lots and lots of snow.....Last big one I remember was Jan 1 2000 or so. Much of the affected area is light industrial, office warehouse etc. Not sure how much residential area was affected. As always, a prospective homeowner should do their research. Too bad virtually all don't!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:43 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

Hey cheese, That is exactly where I'm headed.

I have never live there- but have been there many, many times. My wife and I love that city. Very clean, lots of cheap housing. The heat is something to get used to- the saying "dry heat" is somewhat true... 114 is 114 no matter how you slice it. Shade really helps, so does plenty of water. There is usually a breeze- granted its a hot wind, but at least there is something stirring.

We are headed out of NJ in a week first stop VA, to see relatives, and storage unit- You ready to head west?

To quote Jim Morrison "The west is te best, just get here we'll do the rest..."
Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 640 Detroit allison

Cheesewagon,

You could drive the Conch Train in Key West.. pays decent, health benefits AND you can live in one of the upper keys in yer skoolie for about 1000 bucks/month. They give locals better rates. It's fun here (i'm sayin' that cuz i just got here)..It'd might be worth six months just to have the experience. When I get fed up..I'm takin' my bus back to S.Pete/tampa area where I came from. After the Mark (husband) gets out of school..we'll be bringing our bus out west just to check it out. We live in an RV park now and when we get the bus, they're okay with that. I've seen LOTS of skoolies since we've been here..that was what hooked me into wanting one. In fact, the whole "Let's convert a school bus and live in it, honey!" was really my idea.. I met this guy here who had a converted 1948 Greyhound bus..It (of course) was awesome. And it was done, I started begging my husband to buy me a bus !
hmcastle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
Skoolie

Elko and Carson, night and day. Elko is rural NE Nevada. A bit over 5000 ft elevation. Has more big town amenities than Winnemucca (where I live), Home Depot, a bit more shopping, even has a titty bar. Very rural, closest big city is Salt Lake City (230 miles) or Reno (290 miles), so you better like it in Elko!! The people who live there love it, think it's God's gift. We who don't often think they are arrogant rednecks........
Gold mining and associated support services is the largest employer in all of Northern rural NV. Decent paying jobs are around, if you can get one. Elko has very cold winters, often 20 degrees colder than Winnemucca, which is only 123 miles away. Also gets a lot more snow. Summers are typical north NV, hot and dry. It's a pretty town, but I think you have to want to live there.

Carson is on the urbanized (by our standards) US 395 corridor running from just north of Reno to just south of Carson (Minden-Gardnerville) Carson is a bit small, but is only 30 miles from Reno, and they are nearing completion of an Interstate- grade extension of US 395 from Reno. Right at the edge of the Sierras, so there are mountains west and high desert to the east. Great for an outdoors oriented person- skiing, fishing, mountain biking, 4x4 ing.....Lake Tahoe is about 30 miles west, and San Francisco is just under 4 hours away!! If anyone is thinking of moving to the non-Vegas part of NV, I'd go to Reno-Carson City. Before moving to a rural NV town, I'd visit first, see what you're getting into. Then make sure you have a job lined up. It's hot, dry , cold, dusty, windy.......not for everybody.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

People's Republic of California.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

How about pipeline survey? Requires lots of walking. They like full-time RVers. You have to fill out an app and then follow up several times. They hire out of Norcross GA (near Atlanta).
http://www.sparusholdings.com/56/Services.htm

Escapees thread on the company that will answer most of your questions http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=63222
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote