Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
skoolie camp grounds florida

Lorna, thank you for the links, I figured Id move this to this here, didnt want to jack the other thread.
its getting that time of the year where we would like to head south, I got the trailer life directory from good sam,(big book) and been checking out campgrounds, sending them emails asking about skoolies, also just for the hell of it I also ask about work camping so far 18 out of 20 said no to the bus, the other said they need pictures first., Ill keep ckecking, still not sure if we are going to leave anyway, but it doesnt hurt to start the ground work.

gbstewart

ps- will be checking other states as well

Old 12-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: skoolie camp grounds florida

What kind of campgrounds do you want and is there a particular reason why FL? What is your budget for campground?

The reason I ask why FL is, if you are looking at North FL (Orlando and north), you can stay in S Ga for far less than FL at similar temps (rarely snows, occasional ice storms and a few nights of freezing temps every winter usually in Feb/March is the Hard Winter). Look up Vienna GA campground on RV Park reviews. I have a review of a park we stayed at there. We were usually the only ones there. Under the pine trees at the back side of the campground (past the bathhouse) has full hookup with 30/50 amp hookups. No wi-fi. No cable but you can get Sat dish installed. That is where we were when we got our Dish dish. He would have no problems with a skoolie. I posted the review when we had to vacate Ga Vets for Memorial Weekend, so the price reflects a nightly rate at the time. You may want to look into volunteer at Ga Vets SP.

Alternative, if you need cash, is to get a job with a national retail store chain and transfer to wherever you want. Cashiers are the most flexible job and in demand (you have to be able to pass a drug test). Not the highest pay but as high or higher than workkamping. I am not a big fan of workkamping. I think there is a nasty tendency of private parks to underpay. When you are trading a site for hours, you need to figure your site at monthly rates not nightly rates. Public parks tend to have only water/electric sites. Some of the volunteer sites have sewer. But often volunteers get put in regular sites. I've not been in a public park with wi-fi either. Both Private and public parks will take advantage of you if possible. I have a problem with the "couple" requirement. I think that you shouldn't have to work 30 to 40 hours (or more) and be on call 24/7 to get a site worth $15 per night ($450 monthly rate). don't forget you will have to pay income taxes on those sites. Really bad if they figure it is worth a nightly rate which is at least double the per night monthly rate.

If you are in the "payroll system" of a corporation, not only can you transfer to various stores all over the US, you can get the health insurance if that sort of thing is important to you (note: fulltime is now 32 hours, not 40). You normally can sign up at time of hiring and at one designated time in the fall. And you can keep it while you bounce states.

You will have to pay state income taxes on any $$ you earn in a state with state income tax. You do not get it back if your legal residence is in a no tax state like TN or TX. If you live in a state that collects income tax on your wages, you will file for a credit on the taxes you paid in to the other state (and you have to file in every state you worked in). This is why a lot of working folks use TX as a residence and the gov does accept Livingston TX (Escapees Mail forwarding addy) as a "legal" address.

To volunteer or workkamp, you need to be lining up work 6 months to a year in advance. Another reason I like the idea of working for a corporation and transferring.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Hi Lorna, tks for your reply, it doesnt have to be florida, Iv spent more time there then I wanted to, but DW hasnt been and wants to see it, not in a rush to get there, have other places I d rather be, as far as work camping, it doesnt have to be, It can be anything, just as long as I have something to do, I would go nuts just sitting around the camp site, if we going to escape the canadian winter, i would have to find something to do, theres only so much site seeing a person can handle, thats why I want to go quartzsite, we have friends that go , and can hook us up with some type of work, its not really a money thing,(but always nice to get) its just for something to do. the way I see it with the price of fuel, we will most likey be staying in on place maybe 2 over the winter, then head back home, I have health insurance so thats no problem

gbstewart
Old 12-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I keep forgetting that you are in Canada. You may have to stick with volunteering. I've heard it's a pita for Canadians to work in US. But really not sure. Check out the workkamping and working on the road sections on the SKPs Forum. Much good info there and lots of Canadians there to as well. They can tell you the hassles and what to expect in doing that in US.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
Bus Geek

If you want to stay in TX. Shady Grove on Flour Bluff (Corpus Christi) may take you. They were changing hands when we left so I don't know for sure. Flour Bluff is close to the beach and you have public transportation right outside the park. Library, Family Dollar. Domino's Pizza and another restaurant (mexican) is within walking distance. We liked Flour Bluff and the closeness of the beach without actually having to deal with the strong winds off the gulf. Stripes gas station to the wrest of the park (you buy beach permits at any Stripes... $12 for 1 calendar year). Our rent was well under $300 ($265/mo??) plus we had to get our own cable and internet (package deal with Time Warner under $100 per month we had a wi-fi router so Stacey & I both could be on the internet at the same time). We had metered electric (ran us $40 to $60 per month). THERE IS NO BATHHOUSE HERE!!!!

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe...70387042853289
Old 12-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

cash is king!! I just need to have something to do, Im not the type that can sit around a camp site for to long, with that said, I do get things done on the bus , but its nice to take to work on something else, and if you can make some gas money, bonus

best of the season
gbstewart