Old 07-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Skoolie Friendly RV Campgrounds

The campground that we are currently in (we have a vintage Class C) had a beat up trailer being pulled by a shorty schoolbus for an overnight stay. Based on what these folks were running (multiple vehicles and trailers loaded to the hilt), I would guess they were moving. But they did have one of those little short van type buses like what head start uses.... and it was SCHOOL BUS SAFETY YELLOW!!!! So an overnight is fine apparently. I still don't know about long term as we are leaving as soon as we can get the absolute minimum done to the bus and the exterior painted. The next place we go to has a bathhouse so we will get the toilet hooked up, bed put back together and go.

BTW, I'm in Casey's Socorro RV Park on I25 Exit 147 and it's the best park in town . It's safe and that is what matters.

Next stop is in Roswell at Town & Country RV Park. We stopped in to ask if they had problems with a schoolbus and food cart long term when we went down to TX in November 2009. Bigger town, more folks with $$ and they have a Home Depot right there in town. No driving 50 to 70+ miles to buy a piece of lumber.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Camping D'Aoust in Staint Lazare, Quebec. Very nice people and a beautiful campground. Welcomes Skoolies. Very children & pet friendly. They even close the pool between 5 & 6 for supper.(never seen that before) Great playground for the kids. It even has street lights for when it gets darker.

This place is going on our list of places to stay.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E

Another great campground we found isn't even on the map. It's called Chocolate River New Brunswick. Skoolie friendly and it's just a few minutes from the Hopewell Rocks. Full hook-up, under $30.00 a night and overlooking the Bay of Fundy.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1967
Coachwork: blue bird
Engine: ford 391

anyone find anything in the victoria bc canada area that allows skoolies ive got a couple leads but so far they are just leads no confimation
jolly_rogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #15
Bus Geek

http://www.goldstreampark.com/ Found it here... http://uscampgrounds.info/
Old 09-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #16
Site Team

Year: 2003
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E

You try the forestry campsites around Lake Cowichan>
Old 02-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

so does anyone have a black list going....where not to go or,not allowed?
itsme1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #18
Bus Geek

While discussing some aspects of the various types of SKP parks (Escapees) I ended up reading some very interesting replies to my post. So here are a few quotes from the thread...

Quote:
David & Lorna Schinske
As far as that goes, I not terribly sure that an SKP or affiliated park would allow our schoolbus conversion to stay in the park in the first place. The impression I get is that these are "member" parks and since so many of the forum members object to "alternative" RV's (and me in particular, since my opinions do not mesh perfectly with their opinions)that we would not be welcome there member or not. Not a problem. We do need to stop in at Livingston at some point but most likely will end up staying in one of the many public parks in the area.
Quote:
harry bellerby
Lorna I have seen many skollies in rainbow parks.
Quote:
Kirk
I have seen more than one home built RV in school buses, vans, a Step-Van, and a converted cargo truck so I can't see any big deal about it. I have never been asked about what our RV is and it is now 14 years old. The high class folks don't want us either, but it has never been a problem in any Escapee park that we have been to. I suppose that it might be possible to have a problem in one of the coop parks as they make their own rules and we have not been to all of them.
Quote:
sandsys
We camped at Rainbow Plantation across from a guy in a conversion van. He unloaded all his Rubbermaid type bins to the area under a tree to make room in his van for himself. He left the bins under the tree when we ran from an approaching tornado then returned when the threat was over. We stayed there several weeks all told and he was still there when we left. So, I don't think you'd have any trouble being accepted there in your bus.
Quote:
Jack Mayer
I've seen busses (big ones an skoolies) in SKP parks. I'm sure it would not be a problem in any of the Rainbow parks...
Quote:
Bill Joyce
Huh? Your bus conversion would not be alone at most SKP parks. Believe me. Try it and don't judge based on some people on the forum since some don't have anything else to do but cause trouble. Also remember, you can be a member of the forum and not be a SKP or actually do much with SKPs.
I will also say that we are presently in a "membership park", a Thousand Trails, and your bus conversion would fit in fine since there are many here. We have seen vans parked with a 15-amp cord snaked through the window so a school bus conversion is upscale in comparison.
NOTE: You do not need to be a member to stay in an SKP park. You do need to be a member to get the discounted rate. The part about the Thousand Trails I found interesting. I personally will never own another time-share thingy again but if you travel near the things, it may be a good option. We just never end up in areas where there is a timeshare or if we do end up in the same area, we have other "favourite" places to stay.

Based on these posts, I would say that the "turned away skoolie" is not as common as we have been led to believe. I believe it may be that there is a much lower percentage. But what do you always hear about alternative RVs? "You have to be careful because you can't get into all campgrounds". Well, no one can get into ALL campgrounds. Many are turned away due to size, power requirements, age of RV or age of RVer (been there on both) and type (some places are "Class A's only").
Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

thanks for the usacamprgounds link. me didnt haveth that one...
Old 07-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Engine: Cummins 5.9L

I have only been turned away from one park, and that was the Jellystone in Portage, IN. The only irritating thing is that it is not listed in their rules and regulations of their website! The guy was also very rude on the telephone to me about the whole thing...
Collin Humble is offline   Reply With Quote