Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2018, 09:27 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinson View Post
Hey everyone!

The bus is being towed to a "ZF Dealer" named Pacific Torque in Des Moines to see what they can come up with. The driveshaft was removed for the initial tow and Freightliner charged me for reconnecting it without asking. Is this kind of thing standard procedure? What reason would they need it reconnected to carry out a repair? I explained it wouldn't even go into gear and they reconnected it just to end up pushing it around anyway.

They also charged me for connecting their diagnostic tools etc. The invoice says, "Hooked up PC and performed preliminary diagnostics. Noted control pad flashing trans hot and extensive engine codes but none active. Attempted to connect to trans TECU and unable to communicate. Rebooted and same result."

Anyone have any thoughts? Are these types of codes throughout the life of the bus or typically recent? Would resetting a few tripped breakers affect these results at all? I am hoping this shop gives me some type of insight into the problem.
For one thing, I’d complain to service manager about them making so many mistakes and get your bill reduced.

The charges are normal for a competent service company...but they couldn’t even bother to read the manufacturers plate on the tranny right??

Get the details of the codes. You’re paying for them. Could be useful in the future. They can come up for a variety of reasons. Misfires, etc.

I doubt these guys know how to work on the ZF. Or your TECU is shot. The TECU is an electronic control box in the back of the bus. The service manual I posted for you shows exact location. Mark also knows where it is. Make sure it’s plugged in all the way and no breakers are tripped.

davebirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:37 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
It may be after the 15th. Snonut offered to pick me up when I came back, but I believe he is a decent drive south of the airport. It would save him a long trip and he has already done a good bit for me while refusing anything in return. Thank you for the offer and I really appreciate it! I will message if/when I know more about the situation.

Btw, I live just a few miles from where The bus is being towed to in DesMoines.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #43
Bus Crazy

Pacific Torque is the best place in the NW to have automatic transmission work done on medium and heavy duty automatic transmissions.

If they can't make things work no one can!

I have found them to be very competent and affordable.

https://www.pacifictorque.com/
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #44
Skoolie

What are some opinions on roadside for this particular situation? I looked into it before, but came to the conclusion they are probably for converted units. We were planning on starting to remove seats on the trip if that would help. The peace of mind would be nice to have for anything else that may happen if we get on the road.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
This would really be pushing the "spirit" of the situation, but you might be able to get something through "Family Motorcoach Association" (https://www.fmca.com).
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #46
Skoolie

Hey all! I am trying to keep my head up through all this...

I just got this message from the mechanic, " So we checked those 3 diagnostic ports, and all are the round 6 pin connectors to communicate with the engine. If the transmission is wired into these 6 pin connectors we do not have the appropriate cables to connect with. With that being said we did not find any other connection’s to connect with our ZF cable/software."

I asked Mark what he thought, and he gave a pretty detailed explanation that I passed along. I also resent a schematic to them that hopefully allows them to figure out how to hook up to it. They also said when they pulled the transmission dipstick, the fluid was muddy and smelled burnt. When the break-down occurred, we had some difficulty getting the dipstick out. It would not pull or twist out and was stuck or rusted in place. Could breaking this loose cause some debris and color that they are seeing? The fluid also smelled sweet to my father and Snonut. We did not notice debris either. I don't get the change... Should I give the go ahead for them to drain it in order to inspect all the fluid/filter?

If it needs a new/rebuilt transmission right away, I may have to give up. Any info/advice about getting the most scrap value out of it would be very helpful.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
The retarder is most likely linked in the coolant loop. So may be you have a coolant leak in you transmission that causes the sweet smell and muddy oil. May be drain some of the oil in a clear container and see if antifreeze / water settles out.

Good luck. later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
The retarder is most likely linked in the coolant loop. So may be you have a coolant leak in you transmission that causes the sweet smell and muddy oil. May be drain some of the oil in a clear container and see if antifreeze / water settles out.

Good luck. later J
Try this out^^

Johan is one smart cookie!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #49
Skoolie

Hey everyone, I just found out for sure that the transmission is fried. I really wish the owner was truthful about the retarder issue. If a mechanic told me to keep a certain switch off to avoid major issues, I would pass that info along to whoever drove it or bought it. If this bit of info was passed along to me, I'd have the bus in my driveway as planned.

Now, I am in an impossible situation and nowhere near the bus. I cannot afford a 20k rebuild right away. I will start calling scrapyards around its location to recover a fraction of what I have paid out. I want to put this nightmare behind me as it has probably taken years off my life... Any tips and/or advice are welcome.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #50
Bus Geek

A good used transmission isn't terribly expensive to do, even if you have to pay a shop.
I really feel bad you you man. I've had a bus break in an expensive way but it was at home, thankfully.
Only you will know what's best here, I've had to throw in that towel myself before with my fist bus. We've all been hoping for the best for you, and will continue to do so.
I'm going to PM you a guy's number who I think knows all about those transmissions. Maybe he can help you out.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #51
Bus Nut

I've given Kinson the name of my seller who has transmission cores for this model of bus, the only problem is that the cores are on the East Coast and would have to go cross-country to fix his bus.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #52
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 84 pass 36200 gvw
Man, I am really sorry to hear that. Sure wish things could have worked out better for you.

Bob
snonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #53
Skoolie

The only option given to me by the shop was a rebuild of my current transmission that would be over 20k. They do not have any used/new ones on hand. My question is, could I use any transmission I could get my hands on? Would it be advisable and mesh with the PLC? Scrapping was the last resort and I thought I was at that point with the rebuild option. I will entertain any solutions that would help me get out of this with something to show. Thanks again guys!
Old 07-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
The only option given to me by the shop was a rebuild of my current transmission that would be over 20k. They do not have any used/new ones on hand. My question is, could I use any transmission I could get my hands on? Would it be advisable and mesh with the PLC? Scrapping was the last resort and I thought I was at that point with the rebuild option. I will entertain any solutions that would help me get out of this with something to show. Thanks again guys!
How do they possibly justify $20K for a tranny rebuild, I'm sure a brand new one doesn't cost half that much.
What tranny are we talking about? If you filled out your profile we would know without having to go back and read every post to find the answer.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Quote:
So they don't have any on hand... Find one and ship it to them.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Kinson, my seller has ZF Meritor transmissions just exactly for this bus - drop in replacement (well, as far as a tranny can be, anyway). The problem is getting it across the country long-ways....
Old 07-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #57
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
How do they possibly justify $20K for a tranny rebuild, I'm sure a brand new one doesn't cost half that much.
What tranny are we talking about? If you filled out your profile we would know without having to go back and read every post to find the answer.
o1marc, its a ZF Meritor Ecomat 2. From what I've been told it was tuned specifically for this model bus (New Flyer D45HF "Viking").
Old 07-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #58
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
There seems to be units available out there between $1k and $2k. Here's one on Ebay, $1900,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZF-ECOMAT-T...0AAOSw-QNa2R2-

$1870 shipped:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZF-ECOMAT-T...MAAOSw0IJZ1ke6
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:47 PM   #59
Bus Nut

Also, if you know what set of parts have been destroyed, bjrrcapital (https://www.ebay.com/str/bjrrcapital) has a bunch of ZF Meritor tranny parts for sale.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #60
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post

I'm sorry for the trouble. I thought about filling the bus info out, but after what happened, I figured I'd be wasting my time. I will take the time to fill out what I can if it helps in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Kinson, my seller has ZF Meritor transmissions just exactly for this bus - drop in replacement (well, as far as a tranny can be, anyway). The problem is getting it across the country long-ways....

Oh my bad, I figured they needed rebuilt like my current transmission. I guess I misunderstood or got the wrong idea. If I get a drop-in replacement there, this might be doable.

I also wanted to add that the shop said there was no sign of coolant intrusion. The debris in the fluid/filter is from the clutch plates. I read that coolant strips the clutch plates but there is no sign of coolant in the fluid they drained. Could there be another cause?
Attached Thumbnails
20180725_090643.jpg