Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #61
Skoolie

I asked about providing a working transmission and got this response: "We do not install any customer supplied parts (transmission) and replacing it with a different style or brand of transmission is not feasible and would well exceed the price that was provided which did not include removal and reinstall of the transmission." So on top of whatever I can get for a replacement, I'd have to tow it to a third location...

Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinson View Post
I asked about providing a working transmission and got this response: "We do not install any customer supplied parts (transmission) and replacing it with a different style or brand of transmission is not feasible and would well exceed the price that was provided which did not include removal and reinstall of the transmission." So on top of whatever I can get for a replacement, I'd have to tow it to a third location...
And you'll probably save $10k by doing it. Last thing I would have heard from that shop was the $20k estimate. They lose at least 50% of the profit on the tranny they want to sell you. There's lots of places that work on trucks that could do a tranny swap for $1500-$2000.

Wait, that $20k estimate did not include R&R, WTF.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #63
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
And you'll probably save $10k by doing it. Last thing I would have heard from that shop was the $20k estimate. They lose at least 50% of the profit on the tranny they want to sell you. There's lots of places that work on trucks that could do a tranny swap for $1500-$2000.

Wait, that $20k estimate did not include R&R, WTF.

This insane figure is why I was under the impression I couldn't get a cheap replacement at all. The $1500-$2000 figure is for R&R or altogether? I'm just trying to get a rough figure for my total investment if nothing else major happens. Thank you for looking into it for me. I really appreciate all the help being given by all. It has helped keep me stay partially grounded through all this.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Quote:
This insane figure is why I was under the impression I couldn't get a cheap replacement at all. The $1500-$2000 figure is for R&R or altogether? I'm just trying to get a rough figure for my total investment if nothing else major happens. Thank you for looking into it for me. I really appreciate all the help being given by all. It has helped keep me stay partially grounded through all this.
I'm basing that price on what I was quoted to replace a main seal ($1300)that requires R&R of the tranny anyways. So I figure deleting the main seal part and we're back to just R&R of the tranny
Old 07-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:

Then tell them to buy the tranny from the seller you found, itemize the bill (to be sure they didn't mark it up too much), and move on. They're trying to rip you off - and they don't want you to know. In fact, I'd take it that they're telling you to go somewhere else without actually telling you that.

I got that excuse from one of the shops in Indianapolis that worked on my bus and I immediately stopped doing business with them - and told them why (they had already installed a part I procured several months earlier).

Sorry, when I hear that excuse I get pretty upset.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #66
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Diesel shops smell us "skoolie" folks coming from miles away. HARD to find anyone decent and honest to work on a bus. It really is.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:40 PM   #67
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Then tell them to buy the tranny from the seller you found, itemize the bill (to be sure they didn't mark it up too much), and move on. They're trying to rip you off - and they don't want you to know. In fact, I'd take it that they're telling you to go somewhere else without actually telling you that.

I got that excuse from one of the shops in Indianapolis that worked on my bus and I immediately stopped doing business with them - and told them why (they had already installed a part I procured several months earlier).

Sorry, when I hear that excuse I get pretty upset.

Somehow I brought the topic up during one of the first calls with the shop. I believe their excuse for "no supplied parts" was warranty purposes. Does that sound like BS? I am not sure how to push the issue without getting shut down again. I would certainly like to avoid another tow bill if I can make this happen.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Somehow I brought the topic up during one of the first calls with the shop. I believe their excuse for "no supplied parts" was warranty purposes. Does that sound like BS? I am not sure how to push the issue without getting shut down again. I would certainly like to avoid another tow bill if I can make this happen.

It does sound like BS. Several interlocking reasons behind that:

1. You have access to a NEW-IN-BOX transmission made just for that model bus that costs ~1/10th of what they want to charge to reman the old, damaged transmission (not including R&R).

2. Another reason they may want to reman the old, damaged transmission is because they don't want to be "on the hook" for disposing of it.

3. Finally, any kind of warranty that they might give you is pretty much a moot issue unless they are a nation-wide shop or you will be spending alot of time in Washington state (former I don't know and latter I highly doubt since you live in Pennsylvania).

If this is a nation-wide shop, then their "no customer parts" policy is probably rather inflexible and they will be less willing to "make a deal". However, if its a regional shop (or even a mom&pop), then you might have some maneuvering room....

See if you can get the shop manager (or someone with decision-making authority) on the phone. Ask how inflexible the "no customer parts" policy is - try to get them to admit that it has to do with warranty. Once they admit that, then you simply state:
Well, you know I live in Pennsylvania over 2 thousand miles away from you. Who in their right mind would transport a broken bus that far just for warranty work? The cost of the transport alone would be an order of magnitude more than the savings from the work under warranty. So, lets make a deal: I'll provide you with a transmission and I'll sign a warranty waiver with respect to the transmission.
And see what they say. They'll "hem and haw" and if they say anything about their "reputation" you can simply state:
Reputation you say? Don't you earn "reputation" by treating your customers fairly - even going out of your way in helping them out of a tight spot like what I'm in right now? You're really blowing a prime opportunity to "earn" some "reputation" right now with my situation. So, let's make a deal!
Anyway, "word-smith" the passages above and make them your own. Once you come to an agreement, tell them you'll write it up, fax or email it, and expect them to sign it and fax it back. If they balk at that, then just say "look, you have my bus. Soon you will have a working transmission for that bus - all at my expense. I would like this simple agreement between us to be in writing to protect both of us." and really stress the "both of us" part.

But all of this is predicated on having a transmission "ready to ship".

And also on deciding if its important enough to actually try and negotiate a deal. No one here will think less of you if you don't.

Here's wishing you a resolute mind and a clear purpose!
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:48 PM   #69
Bus Nut

I'd also get on the phone and make a few more calls.

You know the current transmission is toast.
You know the price of a new one, if you bought it.

If you have a contact for a new/rebuilt transmission, then get a shipping quote to send it cross-country. It might not be cheap, but its not that uncommon to ship large things cross-country strapped to a pallet.

Find out the cost of a non-emergency tow - something scheduled, with a given distance. (You might get a better rate if it's scheduled.)

Then I'd start calling a few other shops, and asking for a quote.
Before, you had a bus with a mystery problem. Now you know what the problem is - and can at least pretend to be a little more knowledgeable over the phone. You need the shop to do W,X, and Y or Z. How much do they want for it?

I don't think this shop wants to deal with it at all, which is why they gave you such a high price.

ALSO : Just curious, but what exactly did the seller you bought the bus tell you about it when you bought it? I know that in a lot of cases, buyer beware - but having jumped in to the story at the beginning of the thread (stuck on the highway), but is there a beginning to the story? Stuff breaks, but is this just bad luck, or is there something the seller knew about before?
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #70
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
I'd also get on the phone and make a few more calls.

You know the current transmission is toast.
You know the price of a new one, if you bought it.

If you have a contact for a new/rebuilt transmission, then get a shipping quote to send it cross-country. It might not be cheap, but its not that uncommon to ship large things cross-country strapped to a pallet.

Find out the cost of a non-emergency tow - something scheduled, with a given distance. (You might get a better rate if it's scheduled.)

Then I'd start calling a few other shops, and asking for a quote.
Before, you had a bus with a mystery problem. Now you know what the problem is - and can at least pretend to be a little more knowledgeable over the phone. You need the shop to do W,X, and Y or Z. How much do they want for it?

I don't think this shop wants to deal with it at all, which is why they gave you such a high price.

ALSO : Just curious, but what exactly did the seller you bought the bus tell you about it when you bought it? I know that in a lot of cases, buyer beware - but having jumped in to the story at the beginning of the thread (stuck on the highway), but is there a beginning to the story? Stuff breaks, but is this just bad luck, or is there something the seller knew about before?
I talked to the previous owner 5-6 times. I asked him 3 different times if anything was wrong or didn't work mechanically. He said there were no issues and it drives great. I even called him after the sale and asked if there were any issues I need to know before driving it. After we broke down with no lights/alarms, I called again and shared we had transmission problems. I brought up the retarder and his words were, "Oh, that doesn't work, I forget why the mechanic said" I was pretty surprised as this was the first I've heard that. I wasn't in the position to scream his ear off. I ended the call quickly and hoped it wasn't related. So the seller knew of the retarder issue and for some reason didn't share it. Now I have to either scrap for a loss and buy in the future, or get a transmission and hope nothing else goes wrong. The second choice will probably be more money, but I'm not sure exactly what I'd get for scrap.
The suggestion about the coolant leak seemed to fit the scenario, but I'm not sure why there is no sign of it in the tranny fluid. I'm not sure what else could cause the clutch plates to strip.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #71
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Really sorry to hear of your bad tranny experience so far from home.
Surely there must be some truckers looking for work.
That could be winched onto a flatbed and brought home an then do what you have to. In the meantime, try and find someone local who can repair the bus and deliver it to them. They are out there and need work also.

Sounds like trannies are available and any mechanic worth his salt can re and re that.
I think it is worth checking out for prices to do all this before dealing with that shop out west. CASH speaks loudly!

They don't deserve your business or money and you should make sure that is known publicly so others won't have your experience.
Wish you all the best man and following your dilemma, hang in that is a nice platform to build out.

John
Old 07-26-2018, 12:30 PM   #72
Bus Geek

Quote:
I talked to the previous owner 5-6 times. I asked him 3 different times if anything was wrong or didn't work mechanically. He said there were no issues and it drives great. I even called him after the sale and asked if there were any issues I need to know before driving it. After we broke down with no lights/alarms, I called again and shared we had transmission problems. I brought up the retarder and his words were, "Oh, that doesn't work, I forget why the mechanic said" I was pretty surprised as this was the first I've heard that. I wasn't in the position to scream his ear off. I ended the call quickly and hoped it wasn't related. So the seller knew of the retarder issue and for some reason didn't share it. Now I have to either scrap for a loss and buy in the future, or get a transmission and hope nothing else goes wrong. The second choice will probably be more money, but I'm not sure exactly what I'd get for scrap.
The suggestion about the coolant leak seemed to fit the scenario, but I'm not sure why there is no sign of it in the tranny fluid. I'm not sure what else could cause the clutch plates to strip.

I'm considering taking my new bus to scrap if I can't get what I want for it. My local salvage is paying $6.50/100lbs for vehicles. I figure the bus weighs in about 18000lbs, at $6.50/100 that's $1170. I only paid $1012. Once it's at salvage I will pull the wheels and tires and flip them for another $1K.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #73
Skoolie

Quote:
I'm considering taking my new bus to scrap if I can't get what I want for it. My local salvage is paying $6.50/100lbs for vehicles. I figure the bus weighs in about 18000lbs, at $6.50/100 that's $1170. I only paid $1012. Once it's at salvage I will pull the wheels and tires and flip them for another $1K.

Thanks for the advice. This process is completely foreign to me. I am nowhere near the bus and I don't think a scrapyard would remove certain components/computers for me to ship or sell. It would help greatly reducing the financial burden though. Markydee's thread states a curb weight of 36,500lbs, but I believe it is fiberglass from the waist up. Any ideas of how much of that I can use to roughly guess the scrap value? There are a few additives and a cooler brand new inside the bus that I could offer for help with shipping things if at all possible. I just want to explore all options fully to make the best decision moving forward.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #74
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. This process is completely foreign to me. I am nowhere near the bus and I don't think a scrapyard would remove certain components/computers for me to ship or sell. It would help greatly reducing the financial burden though. Markydee's thread states a curb weight of 36,500lbs, but I believe it is fiberglass from the waist up. Any ideas of how much of that I can use to roughly guess the scrap value? There are a few additives and a cooler brand new inside the bus that I could offer for help with shipping things if at all possible. I just want to explore all options fully to make the best decision moving forward.
I would have been able to answer this more accurately as I just went out to the bus in question and cranked it up to drive it to weigh it and ask them about what deductions they would make on the weight of the whole bus. Unfortunately the bus cranked right up, but won't build brake pressure. Yes, the salvage place will nt remove anything for you. You need to pull everything you can salvage and resell or repurpose before sending it to salvage. There is nothing on this bus that I would want to salvage, unless someone tells me something I should keep. the only reason I'm taking the tires off there is to save the cost of a tow.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:06 PM   #75
Bus Geek

Quote:
I would have been able to answer this more accurately as I just went out to the bus in question and cranked it up to drive it to weigh it and ask them about what deductions they would make on the weight of the whole bus. Unfortunately the bus cranked right up, but won't build brake pressure. Yes, the salvage place will nt remove anything for you. You need to pull everything you can salvage and resell or repurpose before sending it to salvage. There is nothing on this bus that I would want to salvage, unless someone tells me something I should keep. the only reason I'm taking the tires off there is to save the cost of a tow.
Stick it on FB and someone will pay you way more than its worth!
Old 07-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #76
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Stick it on FB and someone will pay you way more than its worth!
You mean less intelligence than CL?
Old 07-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #77
Bus Geek

Quote:
You mean less intelligence than CL?
Absolutely, man.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #78
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Absolutely, man.
Direct me to this Darwin Pool you speak of. How/where do I post an ad on FB?
Old 07-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #79
Bus Geek

Quote:
Direct me to this Darwin Pool you speak of. How/where do I post an ad on FB?
I'm not the one to ask. I've never been on there.

But I know folks who are, and the word is that the idiots on the skoolie groups on there will pay whatever you're asking for whatever bus you have.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #80
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
marc, what bus are you trying to salvage? The one in your "I won another bus" thread or something else?