Old 07-10-2018, 09:27 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinson View Post
Hey everyone!

The bus is being towed to a "ZF Dealer" named Pacific Torque in Des Moines to see what they can come up with. The driveshaft was removed for the initial tow and Freightliner charged me for reconnecting it without asking. Is this kind of thing standard procedure? What reason would they need it reconnected to carry out a repair? I explained it wouldn't even go into gear and they reconnected it just to end up pushing it around anyway.

They also charged me for connecting their diagnostic tools etc. The invoice says, "Hooked up PC and performed preliminary diagnostics. Noted control pad flashing trans hot and extensive engine codes but none active. Attempted to connect to trans TECU and unable to communicate. Rebooted and same result."

Anyone have any thoughts? Are these types of codes throughout the life of the bus or typically recent? Would resetting a few tripped breakers affect these results at all? I am hoping this shop gives me some type of insight into the problem.
For one thing, I’d complain to service manager about them making so many mistakes and get your bill reduced.

The charges are normal for a competent service company...but they couldn’t even bother to read the manufacturers plate on the tranny right??

Get the details of the codes. You’re paying for them. Could be useful in the future. They can come up for a variety of reasons. Misfires, etc.

I doubt these guys know how to work on the ZF. Or your TECU is shot. The TECU is an electronic control box in the back of the bus. The service manual I posted for you shows exact location. Mark also knows where it is. Make sure it’s plugged in all the way and no breakers are tripped.
davebirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:37 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinson View Post
It may be after the 15th. Snonut offered to pick me up when I came back, but I believe he is a decent drive south of the airport. It would save him a long trip and he has already done a good bit for me while refusing anything in return. Thank you for the offer and I really appreciate it! I will message if/when I know more about the situation.

Btw, I live just a few miles from where The bus is being towed to in DesMoines.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #43
Bus Crazy

Pacific Torque is the best place in the NW to have automatic transmission work done on medium and heavy duty automatic transmissions.

If they can't make things work no one can!

I have found them to be very competent and affordable.

https://www.pacifictorque.com/
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

What are some opinions on roadside for this particular situation? I looked into it before, but came to the conclusion they are probably for converted units. We were planning on starting to remove seats on the trip if that would help. The peace of mind would be nice to have for anything else that may happen if we get on the road.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
This would really be pushing the "spirit" of the situation, but you might be able to get something through "Family Motorcoach Association" (https://www.fmca.com).
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote