Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I would LOVE to meet everyone during the DAY , see busses, talk busses, etc.. but I have ZERO SKILLS of survival.....
You should come out anyway kid, I bet between the hundreds that will be there we can keep you ALIVE. No need to scavenge for food, no hunting or trapping, or living off the land, the grocery stores are 5 miles away.

Seriously tho, if you think camping/boondocking 2 miles off an interstate, is "HARD-CORE!!!" - this is certainly NOT the event for you. (cross Burning Man off your list too)

We can have the next one at your place?

Old 08-23-2016, 08:12 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
thats super duper!!

ha! if you ever need busses driven between ohio and florida.....

I may try to run my bus out there... im not one to go unshowered for days and would have to learn how to make a composting toilet.. I suppose a DT360 / AT545 could do the rockies if im kind to it...

-Christopher
Hey Christopher,

I am with you on the morning stuff. Day does NOT happen without: coffee, constitutional & shower.

If you need a hand with the composting toilet I can point you at some great resources. I have been researching them for some time and am in the process of building my first.

DT360/AT545 crossing the Rockies: You can do it. Patience is the key. I have run rigs over big passes that were quite a challenge and found that being patient and driving by coolant, EGT and tranny temperature has worked well for me. If something starts getting hot then slow down.

If I manage to show up in something with a shower, you will be welcome to take advantage of it.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
... im not one to go unshowered for days
MapQuest show I-10 crossing the Colorado River about 10-12 miles from Quartzite.......how much water do you actually need ?

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #44
Almost There

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Rated Cap: 52 pax
This sounds like so much fun! I am going to try my hardest to be there, the only real hurdle is I need a new set of rubber before I take the bus anywhere farther than storage, to my house and back. I was also thinking the 10th to the 22nd is a long time, I cant be away from work that long gosh darn it! BUT, I do want to see the maximum amount of buses possible and meet you all as well. For those of us that cant stay the whole time, can we say that the last weekend, the 20th, 21st and 22nd are the "Official Skoolie Days" or something like that? Maybe those of us that can only come for a short while can all come on the last weekend that way we can all try to be there for the same few days. I'm thinking those are the days I will show up with my unnamed Crown project, I would love everyone else to be there then too!
Chevydude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #45
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
I also most likely can't attend the whole time due to work. I'm planing on attending, but I like the idea of "official days" so like Chevy said above we can meet the most amount of people..
Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:55 PM   #46
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Lifeguard
Engine: 366 Chevy
Quote:
definitely need a better location!!.. make this an event for EVERYONE.. not just the HARD-CORE!!!
HARD-CORE is hunkered down in the mud on a cold and rainy day in a forest in Bosnia, bullets flying every which way, and only an M-16 to keep you warm.

I built my bus for occasional weekend recreational use, but looks like life is going to force me to full-time in it for the next couple years. Like Will Smith's character said in "After Earth", "Do not misunderstand me, danger is very real, but fear is a choice.” I say screw fear and embrace the change.

Quote:
like pick an area OUT but CLOSE and BUS DRIVEABLE to Hotels, showers, places to eat, etc.. I would LOVE to meet everyone during the DAY , see busses, talk busses, etc.. but I have ZERO SKILLS of survival.....

Living in a bus is all about survival. You're on this forum, so you've already proved you have some survival skills. Sooner or later, every one of us is going to end up boondocking; whether by choice or circumstance. I for one would prefer to experience it among friends in a controlled environment before being forced into it broken down on the side of some dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Yes, I've practiced simulations close to home, but this is the real deal. I'm no where near setup for long-term boondocking, but I'm willing to learn how its done. I figure I could rough it a week or two alone. My gal needs more comforts, though. If all else fails, we'll piss off the neighbors running my genny 24/7 till they make me leave.

I have no clue if I can make it to this, but the closer it gets, the more interest shown here, the more I want to go. Some one like TimMonnot needs to start spreading the announcements across all the FaceBook Skoolie/Bus groups and this think should blow up huge.
gizmoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #47
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoq View Post
HARD-CORE is hunkered down in the mud on a cold and rainy day in a forest in Bosnia, bullets flying every which way, and only an M-16 to keep you warm.

I built my bus for occasional weekend recreational use, but looks like life is going to force me to full-time in it for the next couple years. Like Will Smith's character said in "After Earth", "Do not misunderstand me, danger is very real, but fear is a choice.” I say screw fear and embrace the change.

Living in a bus is all about survival. You're on this forum, so you've already proved you have some survival skills. Sooner or later, every one of us is going to end up boondocking; whether by choice or circumstance. I for one would prefer to experience it among friends in a controlled environment before being forced into it broken down on the side of some dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Yes, I've practiced simulations close to home, but this is the real deal. I'm no where near setup for long-term boondocking, but I'm willing to learn how its done. I figure I could rough it a week or two alone. My gal needs more comforts, though. If all else fails, we'll piss off the neighbors running my genny 24/7 till they make me leave.

I have no clue if I can make it to this, but the closer it gets, the more interest shown here, the more I want to go. Some one like TimMonnot needs to start spreading the announcements across all the FaceBook Skoolie/Bus groups and this think should blow up huge.
me ? survival? hardly.. I have electrical, mechanical, and machine skills to build stuff.. but my bus isnt a camper.. its a mobile hardware / software DEV lab.. I drive it all over but one common thing is that most nights its parked in a Hotel parking lot while I sleep indoors... the only time I sleep in it is when I get a tad sleepy along my way, park and crash on the air mattress for an hour or so.. (with the engine and the A/C cranked)... somehow I think this crowd might be a tad upset if I slept all night spewing diesel fumes everywhere with my engine and heaters running...

my idea of boondocking is how we did it when I drove my friend;s 45 foot Prevost across the country for them each year.. we parked in a parking lot over-night with the Gennie goin, had real toilet, real shower, heat and air..

somehow I dont think thats the same definition of BoonDocking used here....
I never really planned on going to burning man.. after all from what ive seen of it is a ****-ton of a trashed mess people seem to leave the place...

I think everyone here is pretty much above trashing the place and believes in leaving the land as found for others to enjoy..

but thats just my opinion of burning man.. lol..

we will see if I can find lodging with Bus parking nearby and how my work schedule pans out... wherever I go I must be able to work... owning a business isnt all about feet-on-the-desk and 200 days off as certain political factions would have you believe...... ha!

the event does sound fun if I can get past the cleanliness part.. sorry but im a City-slicker to the MAX..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Hey Christopher, why don't you fly in and then rent an RV for the event?

Also, we drive a DT360 with an AT545 and have been over the Rockies at least three times in it and the Appalachians many times. Never had a problem other than being slow. Yeah, the engine doesn't hold back unless it's in first gear, but usually we just throw it in third and let it roll until it gets too fast, then stop and let it go again. Take a break every now and then to cool the brakes, and you're good to go. Even after 15,000 miles back and forth coast to coast, our drum brakes are in great condition.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
even boondocking you have A/C , heat , and toilets if you put them in your bus.... alot different than sleeping on the ground frozen solid....

I'll sleep in an RV or outfitted skoolie all day long.. but not on the ground... which would be my only option unless I wanted to play Skoolie suicide and run a DT360 / AT545 over the rockies....

-Christopher
Hey Christopher, would this app help you make it out to the event? It plots the flattest route possible between destinations.

https://www.flattestroute.com/
Old 08-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
Hey Christopher, would this app help you make it out to the event? It plots the flattest route possible between destinations.

https://www.flattestroute.com/
Hey yall, he's not gonna budge. He won't even let me make him a cheeseburger... says he prefers Mickey D's.
There's no helping that guy!!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:51 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by onenationundergoat View Post

Also, we drive a DT360 with an AT545 and have been over the Rockies at least three times in it and the Appalachians many times. Never had a problem other than being slow. Yeah, the engine doesn't hold back unless it's in first gear, but usually we just throw it in third and let it roll until it gets too fast, then stop and let it go again. Take a break every now and then to cool the brakes, and you're good to go. Even after 15,000 miles back and forth coast to coast, our drum brakes are in great condition.
You and Dan gonna be attending?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Yeah, we're planning on making it if at all possible! Luckily the camp hosting job we have "lays off" its employees until March so we can draw unemployment over the winter. It's not much, but $200 a week plus the savings from working the beet harvest will let us travel all winter! Planning on towing the Honda Element too.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #53
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
wish I could make it but already spent money for a vacation to the UK next year to watch the Isle of Man TT
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:02 AM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Dodge
Chassis: B350
Engine: built 360 Mopar
Rated Cap: 15 pax
Been chasing threads here for a long time. Thought I'd best join up and join the fun. SkooliePalooza caught my attention, gotta be there. For folks not into a bus yet this could be a twofer. Seriously check out the Rubber Tramp link in the flyer, gives you all the info you need as for what to expect, see, and do. Many good people and ideas for what to do until you get your big wheels.
Redneckotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:27 AM   #55
Bus Crazy

Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I'd love to come, but at today's fuel prices I'm looking at $1600 just for fuel, that's just not in this old retired guys budget.

Hey cadillackid, just for info, you don't have to cross the Rockies to get there, worst part would be between Holbrook, AZ and Phoenix. The southern part isn't nearly as steep as the northern part.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #56
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Gas buddy has my route to get there at just around $500 in diesel from eastern KS and back. I'll figure in another $150 in my fuel budget just to pad it out a little... If I can budget it out and get some time off I'll try to be down there. My b-day is on the 26th of Jan, me and east coast can have a birthday bash...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #57
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Dodge
Chassis: B350
Engine: built 360 Mopar
Rated Cap: 15 pax
Sounds like S-P is going to be a lot of fun. We are planning to be there for sure with our genuine, Canadian-made, 15 passenger bus (says so right on the mfg. tag). Oregon DMV prefers to call it a 1 ton van cuz that is what it looks from the outside and we don't mind, in-side it has everything to make it a self-contained conversion for two and by the time we get to S-P it will have a raised roof, 32" flatscreen, surround sound (we like loud action movies), and new holding tanks. Gotta love life on the road goin' nowhere. Will have some pics soon.
Redneckotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #58
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Great to hear all the interest so far, starting to sound like we will need our own real estate? Luckily there is plenty of room to spread out. I will be there a few days early to claim the best spots, and will be glad to reserve some spots. Gotta find a source for massive firewood?
Old 08-31-2016, 12:15 AM   #59
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: MVP
Engine: 3208 Cat
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
This is interesting.. I haven't taken Aborli that far away yet. Would feel better to convoy with another skoolie. We are in the Rogue valley in Oregon.

Sent from my LGLS751 using Tapatalk
Nvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:03 AM   #60
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by onenationundergoat View Post

I got no issues with going slow.. i drive my bus slow anyway.. i set my bus up to go faster then drive it slow anyway go figure.. ha! but if you've driven a 545 and a DT360 over the rockies seems I should be able to do the same.. esp in january when I wont have my Air-conditioner lugging it down.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skooliepalooza