Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #81
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
Did anyone ever confirm the "main" days of this thing? I know its 10th-22nd, but for those who can't stay the whole time - what's the best days for us to try and be there? I can most likely only do a full weekend (Friday-Sunday).

Also all my systems are not quite ready in my bus, so are there any rules if we park enough apart or slightly remote of running a generator late at night? Mine is pretty darn quiet, but no way silent. I don't have many other options for heat at the moment.

I suppose a small propane space heater may work for the after hours. But 90% my coach is electric and I have not invested in a massive battery bank yet. This would be my first trip (for the purpose of the trip itself) vs my state to state travel and stay with hookups. Just curious on Skooliepalooza boondocking rules - lol...

Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:06 AM   #82
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
We'll be leaving Buckskin SP on the 6th...Should be at SkooliePalooza a few hrs thereafter. See ya then!

That is SOOO cool !!
Old 11-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #83
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgr1d View Post
Did anyone ever confirm the "main" days of this thing? I can most likely only do a full weekend (Friday-Sunday).

Just pick a weekend

Also all my systems are not quite ready in my bus, so are there any rules if we park enough apart or slightly remote of running a generator late at night?

No rules, simply etiquette, running a generator late at night is bad form - people need to sleep, besides it should not be THAT cold? Bring a propane heater, if not you can use mine(quite sure I did not use mine last year - [or even think about using it])
Old 11-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #84
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
well crap... I was thinking about coming... however I have very minimal bus so i would need to run a genny.. im not insulated so propane would just make the bus a wet mess... i wont likely have my coolant heater ready. so my next best shot was a genny and a ceramic heater..

I tried.. but appears its clear that the method here is for everyone to be forced to rough it instead of be comfortable... so once again im out..

this will be 2017.. im not about to freeze or roast... I dont have the skills or the gear to go completely off-grid.. so my methoid is to bring the grid with me.. ie a generator.. since thats not welcome I guess I have to forego what i thought wouldve been a fun road trip unless I can find a way to stop by during the day and go elsewhere at night.. I havent researched yet.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #85
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
well crap... I was thinking about coming...
WHAT?
REALLY?

come on Christopher you got to make it out here!!

A few things:
-I am not insulated either (been on the road for a year now)
-when it gets really cold I turn on a burner or two, or pull out my Little Buddy
-when it gets REALLY cold I move to a warmer climate
-Southern AZ is the warmest place in America in Jan. (besides Florida, which is where I go in Feb)
-you can do ANYTHING for a weekend!! (it will be good for you to step outside your comfort zone - you and EVERYONE else!)
-bring a good blanket or sleeping bag and you will be fine -even if it drops below 50'

See you there
Old 11-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #86
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
WHAT?
REALLY?

come on Christopher you got to make it out here!!

A few things:
-I am not insulated either (been on the road for a year now)
-when it gets really cold I turn on a burner or two, or pull out my Little Buddy
-when it gets REALLY cold I move to a warmer climate
-Southern AZ is the warmest place in America in Jan. (besides Florida, which is where I go in Feb)
-you can do ANYTHING for a weekend!! (it will be good for you to step outside your comfort zone - you and EVERYONE else!)
-bring a good blanket or sleeping bag and you will be fine -even if it drops below 50'

See you there
cold and me DONT get along... granted I like to sleep cool, i dont like to see my breath.. what I remember of desert in january was nice 50s / 60s daytime and 20s / 30s at night... I have an air mattress and a good sleeping bag..

both of my busses are minimal as in poop in a bucket for a toilet lol..

the bus BEST suited for the 2500 mile drive from either columbus ohio or st pete florida is the new one which is completely virgin.. still has all its seats.. However it runs 65 and has cruise control rather than the DEV which runs 55..

the DEV does have a nice battery bank and inverter so I could easily keep a cube frig running overnight.. then charge the batteries for awhile with a genny during the day...

food for me would be a lot of Geek-Food.. funyuns, m n m's..doritos and burgers cooked on a small propane camping burner..

alot of this depends on my work load... but roadtripping is a way for me to get tons of work done while on the road.. so 5000 miles round trip might be a good thing.. with a couple days spent with some skoolie buddies fun!

Id just have to drive up by the interstate now and then to check the cell phone voice mail..

tryin to figure a way to make it out for at least a short time! I wont be able to plan very far ahead since my workloadcan change on a dime..

as for florida.. yeah i go there alot..

-Christopher
Old 11-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #87
Bus Nut

folks tent camp there, and to me the only downside would be the wind - it gets pretty windy there.

cell phone/data coverage in the area is outstanding - and I have Sprint?
Old 11-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #88
Bus Geek

Quote:
folks tent camp there, and to me the only downside would be the wind - it gets pretty windy there.

cell phone/data coverage in the area is outstanding - and I have Sprint?
I have verizon, ATT, and T-mobile.. one of those should work LOL..

some folks tent camp in anything. my older alaska brother that tent camps in alaska nountains in the winter... Hard-core stuff like you see on Nat-Geo lolol..

Ive been near that area when the wind was kicked up... enough that the truckers were all over the place on I-10 just to keep their rigs upright at times... seems to be a winter thing in Arizona and southern cali..

if I can get time to install my Coolant heater into the DEV then ill have Zero issues.. only need to charge up the bats during the day..

it looks like there's diesel fuel only a few miles up the road if I have the place right ..though I dont think those heaters turned on a low setting use a ton of fuel..

dont get me wrng im quite happy that every day I open my email theres more boom to my business but it foes take away from time to work on the busses..

-Christopher
Old 11-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #89
Almost There

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Rated Cap: 52 pax
Did anyone ever confirm the "main" days of this thing? I know its 10th-22nd, but for those who can't stay the whole time - what's the best days for us to try and be there? I can most likely only do a full weekend (Friday-Sunday).

I'm thinking the same thing, It would be nice to try and get us all there at the same time. "Main days" or official "skoolie days" would be nice so all us buses are there at the same time.

Jan 20, 21 22 "main or official skoolie days? Come on guys...
Old 11-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #90
Almost There

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Rated Cap: 52 pax
food for me would be a lot of Geek-Food.. funyuns, m n m's..doritos and burgers cooked on a small propane camping burner..

When I first read it I thought it said Greek Food lol. Funyuns and Doritos are Greek? I'm more cultured than I thought lol
Old 11-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #91
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevydude01 View Post

When I first read it I thought it said Greek Food lol. Funyuns and Doritos are Greek? I'm more cultured than I thought lol

LOL I suppose its all "greek" to the vegan person hehehe.. ive survived for days on chips, candy, gatorade, water, and pop(soda).. stuff thats easy to buy ahead and stash behind a Bus seat ... LOL
-Christopher
Old 11-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #92
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevydude01 View Post

Jan 20, 21 22 "main or official skoolie days? Come on guys...
I answered this already, but let me try again:

-pick a weekend (there are only two) weekends are when most people can and will be there (I will be there about 14 days)
-find out when your friends will be there, or the people you are interested in seeing are planning to attend(please PM them)
-this event is VERY informal, there is NO SCHEDULE, I will try to keep any events as flexible as possible, so primarily this will be a social event.
-If you want structure, and a schedule, the RTR is within crawling distance (30 yards) from our event. They have a real schedule, ours will be based on who shows up, and who wants to do what. So get there early, and stay late.

I do plan to have a campfire on Fri./Sat. both weekends, and early in the week also(depends on how the wood holds out)
Old 11-02-2016, 01:13 PM   #93
Bus Geek

Quote:
I answered this already, but let me try again:

-pick a weekend (there are only two) weekends are when most people can and will be there (I will be there about 14 days)
-find out when your friends will be there, or the people you are interested in seeing are planning to attend(please PM them)
-this event is VERY informal, there is NO SCHEDULE, I will try to keep any events as flexible as possible, so primarily this will be a social event.
-If you want structure, and a schedule, the RTR is within crawling distance (30 yards) from our event. They have a real schedule, ours will be based on who shows up, and who wants to do what. So get there early, and stay late.

I do plan to have a campfire on Fri./Sat. both weekends, and early in the week also(depends on how the wood holds out)
how has your bus been doing lately?
-Christopher
Old 11-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #94
Bus Nut

Quote:
how has your bus been doing lately?
-Christopher
Ha!!
The bus is the most reliable piece of machinery in my fleet. Everything ELSE is broken

the bus starts and runs fine below 7,000 feet, which I where I try to stay - dammit
Old 11-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #95
Bus Geek

here i thought the Bikes were the Go-To when the bus decided it needed a break... I guess the Bikes like being pampered inside the bus rather than on the road!
-Christopher
Old 11-02-2016, 02:25 PM   #96
Bus Nut

Quote:
here i thought the Bikes were the Go-To when the bus decided it needed a break... I guess the Bikes like being pampered inside the bus rather than on the road!
-Christopher
Yep - normally, but I ride the SHYTE out of my bike, and I crash it quite a bit -hence it breaks a lot

I do have a backup, and I have been peddling it
Old 11-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #97
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
well crap... I was thinking about coming... however I have very minimal bus so i would need to run a genny.. im not insulated so propane would just make the bus a wet mess... i wont likely have my coolant heater ready. so my next best shot was a genny and a ceramic heater..

I tried.. but appears its clear that the method here is for everyone to be forced to rough it instead of be comfortable... so once again im out..

this will be 2017.. im not about to freeze or roast... I dont have the skills or the gear to go completely off-grid.. so my methoid is to bring the grid with me.. ie a generator.. since thats not welcome I guess I have to forego what i thought wouldve been a fun road trip unless I can find a way to stop by during the day and go elsewhere at night.. I havent researched yet.

-Christopher
I probably can't make it either. My excuse is work. I actually have work now, and want to keep the momentum going.

Not trying to steal any thunder- but I think I'll start a new thread and maybe we can have a lil shindig for us east coast folks too lazy or unable to make it out to AZ.
There are SEVERAL of us in and near FL, and I have a place with PLENTY of wide open space for buses, vans, tents, rv's, or whatever you want to bring.
Sorta thinking out loud here... what yall think?
Getting together with others is always pretty cool, and everyone I've met from this forum in the real world have been awesome.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:37 PM   #98
Bus Geek

I say start the thread and make it a different time than this one. I do plan to spend a lot of December in Ohio but you know me I'm always lookin for a reason to take a bus ride.. heck I'll come up once in each bus lolol if you have more than one ..
Old 11-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #99
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
if you do arrange something in FL. I will try to make it, and everyone can laugh at my barely functional bluebird wanderlodge
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #100
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
My bus will be far from ready to travel but I will make the trek in my TOAD Geo if i can find a co pilot. Looks like 25 gallons of fuel each way from up here by Canada. I'll be tenting. If I'm by myself I'll Fly in and rent a car might even be a better plan. I'll be in Vegas in DEC. and that ticket is only 136 round trip. Been wanting to use my new bug out bag. I hate giving my gun to TSA. No idea why they don't arm everyone boarding the plane and just collect the guns when you get off on the other end.

any one wanting to tent camp or just grab a ride down the west coast let me know what your plan is. be nice to have a extra driver or two. Could go WA to OR to Utah to NV AZ or WA OR CA AZ so any one as far over as say Idaho or right down the left coast in the sunshine and warm weather.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skooliepalooza