Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by onenationundergoat View Post
Hey Christopher, why don't you fly in and then rent an RV for the event?

Also, we drive a DT360 with an AT545 and have been over the Rockies at least three times in it and the Appalachians many times. Never had a problem other than being slow. Yeah, the engine doesn't hold back unless it's in first gear, but usually we just throw it in third and let it roll until it gets too fast, then stop and let it go again. Take a break every now and then to cool the brakes, and you're good to go. Even after 15,000 miles back and forth coast to coast, our drum brakes are in great condition.
You and Dan gonna be attending?
Old 08-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Yeah, we're planning on making it if at all possible! Luckily the camp hosting job we have "lays off" its employees until March so we can draw unemployment over the winter. It's not much, but $200 a week plus the savings from working the beet harvest will let us travel all winter! Planning on towing the Honda Element too.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
wish I could make it but already spent money for a vacation to the UK next year to watch the Isle of Man TT
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:02 AM   #54

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Dodge
Chassis: B350
Engine: built 360 Mopar
Rated Cap: 15 pax
Been chasing threads here for a long time. Thought I'd best join up and join the fun. SkooliePalooza caught my attention, gotta be there. For folks not into a bus yet this could be a twofer. Seriously check out the Rubber Tramp link in the flyer, gives you all the info you need as for what to expect, see, and do. Many good people and ideas for what to do until you get your big wheels.
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:27 AM   #55
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
I'd love to come, but at today's fuel prices I'm looking at $1600 just for fuel, that's just not in this old retired guys budget.

Hey cadillackid, just for info, you don't have to cross the Rockies to get there, worst part would be between Holbrook, AZ and Phoenix. The southern part isn't nearly as steep as the northern part.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #56
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Gas buddy has my route to get there at just around $500 in diesel from eastern KS and back. I'll figure in another $150 in my fuel budget just to pad it out a little... If I can budget it out and get some time off I'll try to be down there. My b-day is on the 26th of Jan, me and east coast can have a birthday bash...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #57

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Dodge
Chassis: B350
Engine: built 360 Mopar
Rated Cap: 15 pax
Sounds like S-P is going to be a lot of fun. We are planning to be there for sure with our genuine, Canadian-made, 15 passenger bus (says so right on the mfg. tag). Oregon DMV prefers to call it a 1 ton van cuz that is what it looks from the outside and we don't mind, in-side it has everything to make it a self-contained conversion for two and by the time we get to S-P it will have a raised roof, 32" flatscreen, surround sound (we like loud action movies), and new holding tanks. Gotta love life on the road goin' nowhere. Will have some pics soon.
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #58
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Great to hear all the interest so far, starting to sound like we will need our own real estate? Luckily there is plenty of room to spread out. I will be there a few days early to claim the best spots, and will be glad to reserve some spots. Gotta find a source for massive firewood?
Old 08-31-2016, 12:15 AM   #59
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: 3208 Cat
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
This is interesting.. I haven't taken Aborli that far away yet. Would feel better to convoy with another skoolie. We are in the Rogue valley in Oregon.

Sent from my LGLS751 using Tapatalk
Nvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:03 AM   #60
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by onenationundergoat View Post
Hey Christopher, why don't you fly in and then rent an RV for the event?

Also, we drive a DT360 with an AT545 and have been over the Rockies at least three times in it and the Appalachians many times. Never had a problem other than being slow. Yeah, the engine doesn't hold back unless it's in first gear, but usually we just throw it in third and let it roll until it gets too fast, then stop and let it go again. Take a break every now and then to cool the brakes, and you're good to go. Even after 15,000 miles back and forth coast to coast, our drum brakes are in great condition.
I got no issues with going slow.. i drive my bus slow anyway.. i set my bus up to go faster then drive it slow anyway go figure.. ha! but if you've driven a 545 and a DT360 over the rockies seems I should be able to do the same.. esp in january when I wont have my Air-conditioner lugging it down.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skooliepalooza