Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
SkooliePalooza - Jan. 10-22, Quartzsite, AZ

The main goal of this event is to gather those with similar interests in one place, to share ideas and experience with others. If you are interested in owning, building, living in, or ANYTHING else with a school bus, please join us - you are all welcome.
  • You do NOT need to bring a bus
  • You do NOT need to OWN a bus
  • You only need to have an interest in buses to have a good time

Most all supplies can be purchased less than 5 miles away(food, water, etc.)
If you do not currently own a bus or RV, or camper of some sort, you should bring a shelter of some sort(tent, sleeping bag) as it does get chilly in the desert (30-50 deg. at night). If camping is not your thing, this may not be an event for you, as hotel rooms are few, and might be a drive away.

There will be something going on most every day of the event, and you should not be bored, ever. Most nights will have some sort of campfire/party/event, and most days will have a seminar or demonstration of mobile living.

We will be sharing the space and area with the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous, a proven, and exceptionally well-organized event with similar interests as Skoolies (last year there were two)

I will post a bit more information as time grows near, and questions pop up,but please read the page at Rubber Tramp Rendezvous before asking questions, as I believe MOST will be answered there.

Map to SkooliePalooza

Old 08-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
cool idea.. great graphic and a nice place! except that I venture to say alot of people who may not have busses yet are not the type for tent sleeping...

after all why spend all kindsof time and effort building an RV if you are a tent camper... seems an area where some hotels nearby would be a better pick?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
cool idea.. great graphic and a nice place! except that I venture to say alot of people who may not have busses yet are not the type for tent sleeping...

after all why spend all kindsof time and effort building an RV if you are a tent camper... seems an area where some hotels nearby would be a better pick?

-Christopher
I disagree.

But then again, I have actually met hundreds of people that like to travel - in person. I have met quite a few tent campers, car campers, van campers that LOVE the idea of something bigger (and cheaper) .

People that like amenities - pools, AC, room service, - will NOT like SkooliePalooza. If you have never traveled outside of a hotel room or campground, you will not like this event. This is BOONDOCKING. Like Burning Man, this is desert. Far from "roughing it", you still have most anything you need nearby. Hell, Phoenix and Vegas are just a short drive too

But seriously, I think that a few people would show up to a campground-event too, you just won't see ME there - Campgrounds have rules
Old 08-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
even boondocking you have A/C , heat , and toilets if you put them in your bus.... alot different than sleeping on the ground frozen solid....

I'll sleep in an RV or outfitted skoolie all day long.. but not on the ground... which would be my only option unless I wanted to play Skoolie suicide and run a DT360 / AT545 over the rockies....

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:39 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Build and they will come.....You have and they will.

We usually got to Buckskin Mtn. SP just up river an hour or so for the new year so this will work!

Thanks D man.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
I disagree.

But then again, I have actually met hundreds of people that like to travel - in person. I have met quite a few tent campers, car campers, van campers that LOVE the idea of something bigger (and cheaper) .

People that like amenities - pools, AC, room service, - will NOT like SkooliePalooza. If you have never traveled outside of a hotel room or campground, you will not like this event. This is BOONDOCKING. Like Burning Man, this is desert. Far from "roughing it", you still have most anything you need nearby. Hell, Phoenix and Vegas are just a short drive too

But seriously, I think that a few people would show up to a campground-event too, you just won't see ME there - Campgrounds have rules
I'm gonna try like hell to get out to this, man. Thanks for getting the ball rolling.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Glad to hear there is interest. I Guarantee you will love it - or your money back
Old 08-17-2016, 03:59 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Dredman I think your approach is right on. We were tent campers for years until we got the bus and then there was shift to where we would not camp on the ground for anything. However, those that dont have a bus may be tent campers like we were and would be willing to camp in tents to learn how to start a bus off right. I think it is a great idea and I hope there will be a lot of people there to share,
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
My first bus rally I slept in a sleeping bag on an air mattress in my gutted bus. I did have an ice chest though.... I had a great time.

I think that Quartzite in January could be a nice break for those from Northern climates.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Savage View Post
However, those that dont have a bus may be tent campers like we were and would be willing to camp in tents to learn how to start a bus off right.
Some people get it, and will bring a tent, other people will bring something else
Old 08-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I think that Quartzite in January could be a nice break for those from Northern climates.
If you are cold in Jan. you should really come down, I promise there will be no snow
Old 08-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
I don't know if I'll get my re-gearing done in time. 45 m.p.h. is SLOOOOOOW on I 10 from Houston.... 65 m.p.h. is much safer. Working on a bunch of things to get HF road ready.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
I don't know if I'll get my re-gearing done in time. 45 m.p.h. is SLOOOOOOW on I 10 from Houston.... 65 m.p.h. is much safer. Working on a bunch of things to get HF road ready.
well- if you can't get er done in time come join Roxy and I in tent/car city!
This event even coincides with my bday.
I've never been to AZ. Never even been close. Spent a week in Colorado a couple years ago but that's the furthest west I've been. I do LOVE the desert, though.
Gonna really try to go. May even try to snag my folks' RV for a week or two. 1900 miles each way is what I'm facing. Hopefully someone out there can smoke me out?!
Old 08-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
we would love to be there, but won't be able to go to Quartzsite till jan 2018, hopefully there will be a second one,
gbstewart
Old 08-17-2016, 10:05 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126 7.2 / Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 77 Passenger
Sounds like something I will probably do!!

ALSO my birthday!!
PoolRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:40 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
well- if you can't get er done in time come join Roxy and I in tent/car city!
This event even coincides with my bday.
I've never been to AZ. Never even been close. Spent a week in Colorado a couple years ago but that's the furthest west I've been. I do LOVE the desert, though.
Gonna really try to go. May even try to snag my folks' RV for a week or two. 1900 miles each way is what I'm facing. Hopefully someone out there can smoke me out?!
Wife says no room service is roughing it..... I enjoy tent camping, heck, anything that is away from 122mm incoming is easy for me. She, however, has a different view-point..........
Old 08-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
I'm planning to go to this!! Sounds like a blast (glad it's getting finalized)
I'm not sure if I'll be done with my VanHool or if it will be sold - (I'm about to list it for sale - PM if interested) but if I sell I WILL have another bus. I think I'm a bus girl for life
Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:16 PM   #18
Bus Geek

I mean no offense, but why spend all that time and money just to sell it?
Unless of course you're making money by selling it. Goin into the bus biz?
Old 08-18-2016, 05:08 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Excellent time of year for Quartzite...I will do my best to be there. Sans bus, but hey...I LIKE camping...be it tent, car, SUV, whatever.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:05 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Princess and I can't take the whole time off work and save for a bus which weekend would be better?

Tags
skooliepalooza