Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Socorro, NM to Roswell, NM

--

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Socorro, NM to Roswell, NM

glad to hear you made it in 1 pc. you will have to check out your heater, how long are you planning on staying there? did you already have a place to set up your food cart before you got there? or do you just go find a place after you get there?
btw its -18F here, not to bad no wind
gbstewart
Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E

if you are low on coolant, the heaters wont work
Old 12-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Bus Geek

--
Old 12-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
Bus Geek

--
Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1977
Chassis: International Harvester

You may consider picking up an infrared space heater. I put one out in the bus while I am working on it/ using it to get away from the kids for a bit. I picked up a Heat-a-lot from Orchelin's (farm store in the area) The bus isn't as well insulated as I like but the space heater was set to 70 Degrees over this last week and has kept me nice and toasty. It's been below freezing here and the heater has kept up with it. I liked it so much in the bus I picked one up for the house. I'm running the one in the bus and the one in the living room and I am still saving on my heating bill. I still have money left over from what I am saving on propane even with the extra electric being used.

The infrared is so much better than the ceramic space heater I'll have to hook up my kill-a-watt meter to get an exact number but I can actually run the heater and power tools off the same circuit. Saved me from having to drag out the generator to work on the bus. They are pricey though. The two I bought were $300 each, but the one in the bus will stay in there as a primary heat source when I have shore power.
RavensOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Glad to hear you were able to make your escape. We're gearing up for yet more snow here.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Lorna, just wondering what make you pick roswell to move to? also can you post pic s of your camp ground?

tks
gbstewart
Old 12-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #9
Bus Geek

---
Old 12-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
Bus Geek

I have a few questions,not picking or trying to be nosey....just curious.

You headed east and decided lets stay here for a year.

Why plan a year?

I know you can just say "..." and leave heading further east

Why do people decide to stay in a place for X amount of time and then go there?

It seems like going some where,then checking it out and then deciding to stay makes more sence...

I'm just curious...and I lived in Bristol,TN(pop 42,000) before I headed south ...25 miles to MntCity

I talk to folks with rv's when we go Kayaking and ask how long you been here?were are you going?and am surprised how many people have the next few years planned out to almost the month

Good luck with food stand
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
Bus Geek

--
Old 12-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Lorna,thanks for the write up.
I understand (in my mind...atleast) the need to just go and get away...taking care of two sets of grandparents is rough,when we have weekend day free we just go,normally we head a couple hours here or there always waiting for the phone to ring.
I was raised with exploring in my blood(military folks) every 3 years...lets move,I loved it.
We have done the tent camping,moved up to a 20' camper...and now are back to simpler times.
One vehicle,hook up the kayak trailer and roll.
People laugh at first when we pull up to a winery(really enjoy that) setup awnings attatched to our suv,breakout the stove or grill(custom rear bumper) and do a sea food boil or meatballs and enjoy the hot cheese and sausage dip while waiting for food to cook.(gotta love invertors,crockpots ad solar)
All the winery owners love it,and normally kick back with us and...well....just relax with us,we always say wanna join us? Even to absolute strangers rolling in 50k cars/trucks......they enjoy it...but in there mnd we know they tell the friends about the two "rednecks" with good food and fun times......and they are jealous...at least we think so...we can't wait to move up to our bus
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

yes , thank you lorna for the write up, I guess that makes you a free sprit someday when I retire , we plan to wonder off south, maybe work camp, then come back spend the summer here at our camp. for now I can dream about it.

gbstewart
Old 12-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
Bus Geek

--
Old 12-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #15
Almost There

If I thought I could actually home-school my kids in the bus we'd be on the road, but I know that can cause issues so for now we are stuck in one spot. As a kid every summer was a road trip. 5 of us would spend 2-3 weeks on the road crammed into a conversion van with a wheelchair lift. My dad believed that vacations meant getting the hell outta town. I put toe to dirt in every state but Alaska and Hawaii. I even spent time in both Canada and Mexico. That old wanderlust still flows through my veins. I can't wait for the day that I can join all the full-timers out on the road.

Lorna I enjoy reading your posts. When we finally hit the road it will be as a working couple. You give some great insights.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #16
Bus Geek

--
Old 12-15-2011, 01:19 AM   #17
Almost There

The homeschooling comment wasn't anything against homeschooling it was more intended that I couldn't pull it off. My current health issues, which unfortunately include an increasing lack of concentration, prevent me from undertaking such an exercise. Pulling the kids out of whatever "proper" school is deemed by some of my family would also instantly cause lots of problems for me. I really don't feel like going through another Child Services Investigation cause I am not raising my kids the way some people think I should. The accusations were baseless, but the State still had to look into it. I never lost my kids but it was still a major headache. It's definitely not something I wish on anyone that doesn't actually deserve to loose their children.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #18
Bus Geek

--
Old 12-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #19
Almost There

The museum trips are one of my kids favorite activities that we do as a family. We have gotten season passes for many of the museums, zoos, and science centers around the area. I've done a lot of the research into the homeschooling and I agree with you that there is a lot that the kids can learn outside a standard school setting. My girls love the work books you are talking about and spend a lot of their free time with either reading or working in a puzzle or workbook. I'm even saving up to get them each a decent tablet to make things easier to take along with them. There are some great apps out there now that the kids love and are educational. I do what I can to teach the girls to think for themselves and to actually learn to problem solve rather than just memorize the answers for the next test. I agree that public schools need to rethink how they do things.

My primary reason for not homeschooling is my own health. Before my health started to deteriorate I was maintaining and installing medical imaging equipment. Stuff like MRI's, Cat-scans, and X-ray machines. All pretty advanced stuff. Now, on my bad days, I'm lucky to be able to concentrate well enough to fix a toaster. Before my health problems started I would have home-schooled the kids in a heartbeat. We were even looking at picking up a converted MCI and hit the road at one time. But now it's just a waiting game until the kids are on their own. Then the wife and I will be out on the road. The plan is to have a base-camp piece of property. Not a house, as much as a place to come back to when we want to take a break from campgrounds. Basically a piece of land with outbuildings and utilities where we can hook up the bus and just be able to relax.

As to the family, since my wife and I've been married we never really lived close to them. I spent several years in the Air Force then traveled a lot when I was working at the hospitals. Even now being two states away from them thought they still seem to be able to mettle. Not all of my family is that bad though. Just a select few. And I can't cut off contact with the pain-in the-*** ones unless I leave them all behind.